The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 5, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #65,821 of 90,691
Considering there’s only 50 sets in the wild how is Storm making such a huge impression on people? Wow
May be CJ impressions as well.

Oct 5, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #65,822 of 90,691
I don't know those modules specifically but don't they just tweak the bass levels slightly? If that is the case I would agree as that's what I find the most strikingly different between the two IEMs.

@Rockwell75 Yes I think this is true to an extent visually but the whole 64 lineup is a balancing act. The m20 module reduces the overall venting of the IEMs and increases bass. As we decrease the bass, the IEM becomes more bright, at least from perception it does.

Also, now that I have measured 2 Anni 2023's and see a pretty big MFG difference / tolerance, I'm not sure if I would really recommend it. The Anni 2021 I had was really magic. Expansive staging and ethereal treble. The bass was loose, but I was willing to make that sacrifice.

@dleblanc343 had the perfect Anni 2023 as it cut in the pinna region a hair and also reduced the mid to high treble just enough. To me, it sounded dynamic, clear, expansive and truly next level. After I bought my own unit, I can say that it sounds more like what you said, an Anni 2021 with better bass.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #65,823 of 90,691
I appreciate the detailed explanation, and this isn't a hill I'm willing to die on or anything but I stand by my impression that it would be a classic case of audiophile exaggeration to imply that, beyond the slight bass boost, there is anything more than subtle refinements and differences in the sound of both IEMs. Plugging in the 23 I was instantly taken back to the sound I well remembered, with only tweaks to the bass noticeable. I had a similar impression when I a/b'd the two back in NYC. I would particularly take issue with the idea the treble is somehow less technically impressive on the 23. Sub-bass volume is comparatively mediocre on both IEMs. As with all things, YMMV and all that.

I don't know those modules specifically but don't they just tweak the bass levels slightly? If that is the case I would agree as that's what I find the most strikingly different between the two IEMs.
I agree on the point of audiophile exaggeration, hence why I'm not saying it's day and night - but I stand by it being notable.

Adding a bass boost is not just adding a bass boost in practical terms - it will change the general tonality/ voicing as all frequencies trade upon themselves. But in this case, the treble presentation is also altered - I would estimate mostly due to the metal nozzle + mesh of Anni23 vs acrylic nozzle + 3 bores of Anni21 - moreso than internal wiring material changes. Your Anni 2021 definitely had better treble than my 2023 Anni, and it was notably obvious to me. Again, not day and night, but increased refinements.

The graphs don't lie in this case, but my ears also told me more or less the same, and I trust my ears more than graphs. The bass was more of a standout just because it's a lot easier to decipher, but the treble presentation change is equally notable just requires more focus and intricate music tracks.

Here's another fascinating example of two headphones that measure nearly the same, but I would never dare say they sound all that similar due to different timbral qualities.
graph (21).png

Here's the variance between each other when linearized.
graph (22).png

Now the same comparing the Annihilators - more variance than even the HiFiMAN cans, which are 2 entirely different products.
graph (23).png

This isn't exactly science, but if it's measurable on paper, it's even more so measurable by ear in my opinion.

Ultimately, Annihilator 21 or 23, slightly different as they may be, are still top of the line iem's and I love them both.

Credit to friends @freeryder05 & @vsg28 for using their squig.link's

Also to Freeryder05's point, seems there is some manufacturing variance at play here, which adds to the audiophile nervosa of winning the lottery with your set. It's also to be expected for something hand-made and requiring minutia to create. It is what it is and it's equally fascinating as it can be stressful. I'm no stranger to product variance testing (Focal Utopia being the main one having owned 5 different pairs and 4 different sounds).

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 5, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #65,824 of 90,691
Any more info on the new Fir R 12? Price
release date etc??????????

Oct 5, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #65,825 of 90,691
Having owned the 2021 Annihilator and now having spent a few days with the 2023 I think they're like 99% the same IEM. The slight increase in bass quantity jumps out at first blush but the more I listen to it the more I find it more-or-less the exact sound I remember from before, with only a slight increase in quantity. Said bass quantity increase is nice but quality-wise it's still pretty much the same, which for me is "minimally acceptable". I could still see bass being a deal breaker for some with this IEM, even though for me its other strengths allow me to overlook that. YMMV etc.
Even “Minimally Acceptable” is being generous.

Oct 5, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #65,826 of 90,691
@Rockwell75 Yes I think this is true to an extent visually but the whole 64 lineup is a balancing act. The m20 module reduces the overal venting of the IEMs and increases bass. As we decrease the bass, the IEM becomes more bright, at least from perception it does.

Also, now that I have measured 2 Anni 2023's and see a pretty big MFG difference / tolerance, I'm not sure if I would really recommend it. The Anni 2021 I had was really magic. Expansive staging and ethereal treble. The bass was loose, but I was willing to make that sacrifice.

@dleblanc343 had the perfect Anni 2023 as it cut in the pinna region a hair and also reduced the mid to high treble just enough. To me, it sounded dynamic, clear, expansive and truly next level. After I bought my own unit, I can say that it sounds more like what you said, an Anni 2021 with better bass.
I cannot speak on anni 2023 but I bought your anni 2021 and you are damn right this thing is magic 🪄🔥 I enjoy having multiple iems so I’d rather have anni for details/treble and another for bass but anni 2023 seems to be my top pick if I were looking for that perfect TOTL all rounder

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #65,827 of 90,691
Oct 5, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #65,828 of 90,691
My humble collection:

Kiwi ears Quintet,
Custom Valkyrie
Penon Orb

Oct 5, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #65,829 of 90,691
Three is hard because I never really have more than three at a time so it's very dependent on current trends/listening preferences. But I guess that's within the spirit of the poll, so....

Ronin
Raven
E12 - merely by reputation, but strong the desire to hear it is

Oct 5, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #65,830 of 90,691
Actually, XE6/RN6 would probably be ranked higher if they didn't split the vote.
There could be some of that at play, but I reckon those 2 are different enough they are taking more votes away from others rather than each other, Rn6 could be stealing a few away from Z1R for example.
The changes to 2023 version Anni are almost large enough for me considering it being a different iem altogether.

I would have named it differently personally, as the difference in presentation is stark.

graph (19).png
@dleblanc343 had the perfect Anni 2023 as it cut in the pinna region a hair and also reduced the mid to high treble just enough. To me, it sounded dynamic, clear, expansive and truly next level.
I've only heard one Anni at this point, but I guess I can sleep easier knowing I've got the 'perfect' one lol. :wink:

Interesting to read the various perceptions of Anni23's bass, especially midbass, some finding it too much, some minimally acceptable. While I certainly love to indulge in Xe6-level midbass, I think Anni is the 'goldilocks' in getting it just right.

Oct 5, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #65,831 of 90,691
There could be some of that at play, but I reckon those 2 are different enough they are taking more votes away from others rather than each other, Rn6 could be stealing a few away from Z1R for example.

I've only heard one Anni at this point, but I guess I can sleep easier knowing I've got the 'perfect' one lol. :wink:

Interesting to read the various perceptions of Anni23's bass, especially midbass, some finding it too much, some minimally acceptable. While I certainly love to indulge in Xe6-level midbass, I think Anni is the 'goldilocks' in getting it just right.
The only issue I have with annihilator is, it’s a little too perfect 😂 I crave a little wonk in the sound sometimes

Oct 5, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #65,833 of 90,691
In my opinion, the annihilator is the perfect reference to compare all iems too

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #65,835 of 90,691
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back