The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 5, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #65,836 of 89,373
Very hard to pick 3…..

1. Simphonio P-Zero - great resolution, lush vocals with great bass, great all rounder
2. Viking Ragnar Prestige - preserve most of the Viking OG technicalities with slightly rounded edges, excellent comfort to my ears
3. Rhapsodio Supreme V3 - excellent technicalities with unique speaker-like imaging and presentation, very heavy full brass IEM, need some EQ to shine in specific genre

Honorable mentions : Fatfreq GM, Phonix LE, Traillii, Canpur CP622B

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #65,837 of 89,373
Trifecta
Rn6
Traillii

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #65,838 of 89,373
Considering there’s only 50 sets in the wild how is Storm making such a huge impression on people? Wow

A combination of many factors I think.

1) There was a lot of build up of anticipation in the development of the IEM.
2) The people making it are prominent members of one of the most prominent portable audio communities out there-- so word of mouth has been a very potent factor.
3) Exclusivity is something people lust after in this hobby- and the fact that there are so few in the wild only adds to its mystique and appeal.
4) It's been regularly available for demo at CanJams in NYC, SG, London and just this past weekend SoCal-- so despite the rarity lots of folks have had ears on it.
5) Many very prominent folks in audiophle circles own one or have owned one.
6) Lastly and perhaps most importantly it is very good at what it does. It's not the "best IEM in the world" and will not unversally appeal to all (no IEM will) but it's definitely a benchmark in the coveted reference IEM space.

These taken altogether along with how rare it is have given it something of a mythological status in audio circles despite its exhorbitant price.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #65,839 of 89,373
6) Lastly and perhaps most importantly it is very good at what it does. It's not the "best IEM in the world" and will not unversally appeal to all (no IEM will) but it's definitely a benchmark in the coveted reference IEM space.
What is the best IEM in the world?

I’d wager the Storm is in contention for that title. I wonder what people think the other heavy contenders are.

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #65,841 of 89,373
I don’t think such a title will or should exist simply due to preferences.
Yeah but we can try 😜

It doesn’t stop people from having an opinion about it anyway. Subjectively definitely plays a huge role, but there is some objectivity as well.

For example, I don’t think anyone would seriously contend that Truthear x Crinacle Red (good IEM btw) is a better IEM than the Annihilator.

Oct 5, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #65,842 of 89,373
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

This will be entertaining when someone says "X brand or X IEM" isn't the best or gets shaded.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #65,843 of 89,373
I’d wager the Storm is in contention for that title.

Sure, and so are probably the first 10-20 IEMs on the present poll we have going.

I don’t think such a title will or should exist simply due to preferences.
Not only that but also the vast array of musical styles and quality of recordings that are out there. Gone are the days when “audiophile quality” meant being able to play back certain well recorded classical and jazz records faithfully. Right now the scope of what is out there in terms of genres alone make it not really possible or even necessarily desirable for any one transducer to be the best at everything …unless we so artificially constrain what is meant by “best” that it all becomes somewhat meaningless, or make the IEM so flavorless that it’s no joy to listen to . Just my $.02.

Oct 5, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #65,844 of 89,373
Raven
Jewel
Storm (haven't heard it yet, but I sure want to)

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #65,845 of 89,373
What is the best IEM in the world?

I’d wager the Storm is in contention for that title. I wonder what people think the other heavy contenders are.
If you absolutely had to name a couple, Trailii or Z1R. I say that for their universal praise, staying power, etc. Despite our diverse tastes these two always seems to get mentioned

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #65,846 of 89,373
If you absolutely had to name a couple, Trailii or Z1R. I say that for their universal praise, staying power, etc.

If this thread had to nominate one it would most definitely have to be the almighty bird. Whatever else might be part of the gauntlet an IEM must run to attain the title of “best in the world” maintaining interest and devotion of hobbyists for at least a year should be part of it.

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #65,847 of 89,373
Sure, and so are probably the first 10-20 IEMs on the present poll we have going.

Not only that but also the vast array of musical styles and quality of recordings that are out there. Gone are the days when “audiophile quality” meant being able to play back certain well recorded classical and jazz records faithfully. Right now the scope of what is out there in terms of genres alone make it not really possible or even necessarily desirable for any one transducer to be the best at everything …unless we so artificially constrain what is meant by “best” that it all becomes somewhat meaningless, or make the IEM so flavorless that it’s no joy to listen to . Just my $.02.
Hey Rockwell, my intention wasn’t to be argumentative or abrasive. I’m happy to drop this here.

I was responding to what I perceived as your confident take that Storm isn’t the best IEM in the world:
It's not the "best IEM in the world"

That’s all. Because of your claim, I thought you had a few IEMs in mind that you thought were better.

I guess it’s difficult to tell through writing, but my response was made in good spirits and without animus.

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #65,848 of 89,373
1. Bravado Mk II - The one set I own personally and fell even more in love with seeing just how high they can scale with better gear at CanJam.
2. Raven - Everything I love about EE perfected.
3. Campfire Bonneville - I enjoyed these a ton and am now sad I never went back to get more ear time.

@SBranson are you hearing this. Perhaps I could send you my RS8 to pair with your Bravado MKii :)

You got me to try my Bravado II with the N7. I think I tired it a bit at the beginning but basically had been using the N7 with the TGXEar Desolation Sound and using the Bravado II with a secondary dap or via BT with my ES100 while working.
Boy it sounds great with the N7, cementing my love for both. I think I will listen with these more often now. I just love the bass and really EE bass has kind of become a necessary ingredient in any iem I might own. They sure know how to deliver the quantity and quality just perfectly for my ears..
Now, I am curious about the pairing with the RS8.

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #65,849 of 89,373
If this thread had to nominate one it would most definitely have to be the almighty bird. Whatever else might be part of the gauntlet an IEM must run to attain the title of “best in the world” maintaining interest and devotion of hobbyists for at least a year should be part of it.
Look at their dedicated threads. Both have a lot of activity for just 1 IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back