The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 6, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #65,881 of 89,374
1) storm
2) traillii
3) duality
I need to try the Storm. But the Traillii is really out of this world. I listen every night. The vocals are just superb on any DAP. No matter what volume you throw at it, it does not distort. The Traillii Ti bass is just kick a* now.

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #65,884 of 89,374
I have shortlisted two iems (<1500usd) that I want to buy next. One is Crimson and the other is Singularity. Can someone please help me with a Crimson and Singularity comparison? Is the bass on Crimson good? I know both of them have their own strength and people who own really enjoying them a lot. Just need some comparisons before I pull the trigger on any of them.

Thanks for your inputs.

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #65,885 of 89,374
Any more info on the new Fir R 12? Price
release date etc??????????

No idea but I'll be waiting with bated breath to find out. If indeed it comes out in the ~$1500 price bracket it will be tremendously competitive and pretty much neck-in-neck with Singularity for the most technically complete and competent single DD on the market. I much preferred this to the 64 Audio Valur, which felt bloated and dull in comparison...the Electron 12 has more air and much better bass imho.

Poll (IEMs that have my heart in no order)
1. Noble Audio Viking Damascus (full steel)
2. Campfire Bonneville
3. Unique Melody/Cayin Amber Pearl

Love the enthusiasm being generated for the Bonneville-- I'll go out on a limb and say this is the most universally appealing, emotionally engaging and technically competent IEM CFA has released in while, maybe ever. The tuning is magnificent, straddling big satisfying bass, clear well textured mids and smooth and airy treble and a generally very competent sound without any of the "quirks" that some of their past IEMs have been criticized for (harsh up top, dips in the mids etc.). I ejoyed this much more than the Stellar Horizon and a good number of other IEMs that cost north of $2k. IT is a steal at the price they've pegged it at.

Bit like trying to determine the “best” food in the world, I think.

Indeed. Or even the best Ramen in Japan (Osaka style vs. Tokyo style vs. Sapporo style etc.)

I find the price tag relative to market to be very decent value,

I dunno I think it has its work cut out for it where it currently sits north of $2k. It's certainly the most beautiful IEM they've ever released.

The DMPZ1 has some kind of magic with dynamic drivers. The Perpetua and Trifecta sound fabulous on it.

Indeed...hearing that combo was a life affirming experience for me this past weekend...grateful for it. Fortunately for me the LP6 is on a similar level though if pressed I would give it to the DMP if for no other reason than Sony secret sauce...and that beautiful gold knob.

Did some cable rolling today. Favorite new discovery is Sovereign Symphony with RN6. This cable does a really good job at giving RN6 slightly more warmth in the lower mids and bass to give the signature more of a sonorous sound. It sounds more like listening in a Jazz Club. Upright bass really fills the room. The RN6 has the most natural tuning of the Frontier Series line.

This is good because I really loved Brise Shirogane with Storm. Now I have a good reason to pick one up. Andrew will be pleased.

Great to see you posting again my friend!

Are mids and highs identical in your opinion?

"Identical" is a strong word...I don't think I would commit to that without a rigorous a/b between the two. I don't think the differences are significant, whatever they might be, and I think the overall quality is very consistent between the two models.

I need to try the Storm. But the Traillii is really out of this world. I listen every night. The vocals are just superb on any DAP. No matter what volume you throw at it, it does not distort. The Traillii Ti bass is just kick a* now.

Biggest difference between the two for me is that Storm has much dryer mids, and probably better bass quality overall. Trailli has a more emotive and alluring sound on the whole and has always struck a chord for me. They're both tops at what they do but the Bird is a special IEM for me and probably always will be. Traillii is much easier to drive also which is something I appreciate very much. I'm not sure what advantage is gained by making IEMs hard to drive.

Tally so far (REALLY loving the diversity in the upper echelons in this list...speaks to a healthy and diverse community):

Fir Rn6 x16
Oriolus Traillii x15
Subtonic Storm x15

Elysian Annihilator x14
Campfire Audio Trifecta x13
Fir Xe6 x12

Noble Audio Viking x9
Nightjar Singularity x7
Empire Ears Raven x7
VIsion Ears Phönix/LE x6
Sony IER Z1R x6
Campfire Audio Bonneville x6
Unique Melody Mentor x5
Fir Electron 12 x5
Noble Ronin x4
FATfreq Grand Maestro x4
Elysian Diva x4
FatFreq Maestro SE x4
Unique Melody Amber Pearl x4
Aroma Fei Wan x3
64 Audio a/u12t x3
VE/AK Aura x3
Fitear DC TI x3
AüR Audio Neon Pro x3
Symphonium Crimson x3
Aroma Jewel x3
NightJar Duality x3
Dita Perpetua x3

Sennheiser ie600 x2
Aroma Thunder x2
Campfire Audio Supermoon x2
Vision Ears EXT x2
Vision Ears VEX x2
Penon 10th x2
Sound Rhyme DTE900 x2
Empire Ears Legend Evo x2
Final Audio E5000 x2
Night Oblivion Butastur x2
Softears Turii Ti x2
Custom Art Fibae 5 x2
Campfire Audio Andromeda x2
Empire/AK Odyssey x2
Airpods Pro 2 x2
Nostalgia Audio Camelot x2
AüR Audio Aurora x2
Sound Rhyme SR8 x2
64 Audio u4s x2
Unique Melody Mason x2
Simphonio P0 x2

7th Acoustics Supernova
Sennheiser ie900
Empire Ears Bravado MKii
IMR Acoustics Titan
IKKO OH5 Asgard
UM Mest
Fitear TG334
Etymotic ER4XR
Thieaudio Monarch MKiii
634ears Miroak-II Cocobolo
Hyla Audio TE-5B
Plunge Audio Unity
Penon Serial
64 Audio a/u18s
Canpur 622B
Vision Ears VE8
Campfire Andromeda Emerald Sea
MA Eclipse
64 Audio Fourte Blanc
KIwi Ears Cadenza
Shure KSE-1200
Goldplanar GL-AMT16
Shure SE846
Kinera Imperial Loki
Oriolus Szalayi
Beyerdynamic Xelento 2
FATfreq Maestro Mini
Campfire Audio Ponderosa
Softears Turii
Rhapsodio Eden
Ambient Acoustics MAD24
64 Audio Nio
Unique Melody Le Jardin
Custom Art Hybrid 3 Pro
Custom Art FIBAE 7 Unlimited
Moondrop Variations
Penon Impact
Soranik Basilica
Truthear Nova
64 Audio Volume
Empire Ears Legend X
Technics EAH-TZ700
Kiwi ears Quintet,
Empire Ears Valkyrie
Penon Orb
TGX Ear Serratus
Rhapsodio Supreme V3
Audeze LCD-i4
Elysian Dio (Proto)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #65,886 of 89,374
I have shortlisted two iems (<1500usd) that I want to buy next. One is Crimson and the other is Singularity. Can someone please help me with a Crimson and Singularity comparison? Is the bass on Crimson good? I know both of them have their own strength and people who own really enjoying them a lot. Just need some comparisons before I pull the trigger on any of them.

Thanks for your inputs.
Bhai, wrote to Symphonium. They will tell you the exact differences. Great choices though.

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #65,887 of 89,374
Love the enthusiasm being generated for the Bonneville-- I'll go out on a limb and say this is the most universally appealing, emotionally engaging and technically competent IEM CFA has released in while, maybe ever. The tuning is magnificent, straddling big satisfying bass, clear well textured mids and smooth and airy treble and a generally very competent sound without any of the "quirks" that some of their past IEMs have been criticized for (harsh up top, dips in the mids etc.). I ejoyed this much more than the Stellar Horizon and a good number of other IEMs that cost north of $2k. IT is a steal at the price they've pegged it at.
Wow. That’s quite impressive summary. Did you also try the Singularity recently? Any comparisons of the both?

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #65,888 of 89,374
Wow. That’s quite impressive summary. Did you also try the Singularity recently? Any comparisons of the both?

Just today...it's a different beast entirely, being a single DD.

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #65,889 of 89,374
Tally so far:

Elysian Annihilator x12
Fir Rn6 x11
Oriolus Traillii x10
Fir Xe6 x9
Campfire Audio Trifecta x9

VIsion Ears Phönix/LE x6
Subtonic Storm x6
Noble Audio Viking x5
Nightjar Singularity x5
Campfire Audio Bonneville x4
Unique Melody Mentor x4
FatFreq Maestro SE x3
Aroma Fei Wan x3
64 Audio a/u12t x3
Fir Electron 12 x3
FATfreq Grand Maestro x3

Sennheiser ie600 x2
VE/AK Aura x2
Fitear DC TI x2
Empire Ears Raven x2
Aroma Thunder x2
AüR Audio Neon Pro x2
Noble Ronin x2
Vision Ears EXT x2
Vision Ears VEX x2
Dita Perpetua x2
Penon 10th x2
Sound Rhyme DTE900 x2
Elysian Diva x2
Aroma Jewel x2
Final Audio E5000 x2
Symphonium Crimson x2
Softears Turii Ti x2
Custom Art Fibae 5 x2

7th Acoustics Supernova
Sennheiser ie900
Empire Ears Bravado MKii
IMR Acoustics Titan
IKKO OH5 Asgard
Nostalgia Audio Camelot
UM Mest
Sound Rhyme SR8
Fitear TG334
Etymotic ER4XR
Thieaudio Monarch MKiii
Empire/AK Odyssey
Hyla Audio TE-5B
Plunge Audio Unity
Penon Serial
64 Audio a/u18s
Simphonio P0
Canpur 622B
Vision Ears VE8
AüR Audio Aurora
MA Eclipse
64 Audio Fourte Blanc
KIwi Ears Cadenza
64 Audio u4s
Shure KSE-1200
Goldplanar GL-AMT16
Shure SE846
Kinera Imperial Loki
Oriolus Szalayi
Beyerdynamic Xelento 2
FATfreq Maestro Mini
Campfire Audio Ponderosa
Softears Turii
Rhapsodio Eden
Unique Melody Mason
Ambient Acoustics MAD24
64 Audio Nio
Unique Melody Le Jardin
Custom Art Hybrid 3 Pro
Moondrop Variations
Penon Impact
Soranik Basilica

Some comments on the results so far.

• The Bird is still dominating. This is a remarkable feat when you consider how many other IEMs have come and gone in the past 2.8 years.
  • After somewhat middling standing on previous polls the Annihilator is emerging as a dominant favorite. I imagine this has something to do with the eposure and management they're getting from Effect Audio.
  • The IER Z1R is conspicuously absent-- it has scored highly on just about every poll we've ever done (paging @gLer )
  • Trifecta is taking its rightful place among the big boys. I'll admit no small amount of satisfaction seeing come into its own and find its audience.
  • Fei Wan along with Bonneville seem to have made the biggest impression of all the IEMs that premiered at CanJam SoCal (at least as far as this poll so far shows).

As of this very minute:

VE/AK Aura
7th Acoustics Supernova
Fir Kr5

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #65,890 of 89,374
No idea but I'll be waiting with bated breath to find out. If indeed it comes out in the ~$1500 price bracket it will be tremendously competitive and pretty much neck-in-neck with Singularity for the most technically complete and competent single DD on the market. I much preferred this to the 64 Audio Valur, which felt bloated and dull in comparison...the Electron 12 has more air and much better bass imho.

Indeed. Or even the best Ramen in Japan (Osaka style vs. Tokyo style vs. Sapporo style etc.)

I dunno I think it has its work cut out for it where it currently sits north of $2k. It's certainly the most beautiful IEM they've ever released.

Indeed...hearing that combo was a life affirming experience for me this past weekend...grateful for it. Fortunately for me the LP6 is on a similar level though if pressed I would give it to the DMP if for no other reason than Sony secret sauce...and that beautiful gold knob.

"Identical" is a strong word...I don't think I would commit to that without a rigorous a/b between the two. I don't think the differences are significant, whatever they might be, and I think the overall quality is very consistent between the two models.

Biggest difference between the two for me is that Storm has much dryer mids, and probably better bass quality overall. Trailli has a more emotive and alluring sound on the whole and has always struck a chord for me. They're both tops at what they do but the Bird is a special IEM for me and probably always will be. Traillii is much easier to drive also which is something I appreciate very much. I'm not sure what advantage is gained by making IEMs hard to drive.

Tally so far (REALLY loving the diversity in the upper echelons in this list...speaks to a healthy and diverse community):

Fir Rn6 x16
Oriolus Traillii x15
Subtonic Storm x15

Elysian Annihilator x14
Fir Xe6 x12

Noble Audio Viking x9
Nightjar Singularity x7
Empire Ears Raven x7
VIsion Ears Phönix/LE x6
Sony IER Z1R x6
Unique Melody Mentor x5
Fir Electron 12 x5
Noble Ronin x4
FATfreq Grand Maestro x4
Elysian Diva x4
FatFreq Maestro SE x4
Aroma Fei Wan x3
64 Audio a/u12t x3
VE/AK Aura x3
Fitear DC TI x3
AüR Audio Neon Pro x3
Symphonium Crimson x3
Aroma Jewel x3
NightJar Duality x3
Dita Perpetua x3

Sennheiser ie600 x2
Aroma Thunder x2
Vision Ears EXT x2
Vision Ears VEX x2
Penon 10th x2
Sound Rhyme DTE900 x2
Final Audio E5000 x2
Softears Turii Ti x2
Custom Art Fibae 5 x2
Empire/AK Odyssey x2
Airpods Pro 2 x2
AüR Audio Aurora x2
Sound Rhyme SR8 x2
64 Audio u4s x2
Unique Melody Mason x2
Simphonio P0 x2

7th Acoustics Supernova
Sennheiser ie900
Empire Ears Bravado MKii
IMR Acoustics Titan
IKKO OH5 Asgard
UM Mest
Fitear TG334
Etymotic ER4XR
Thieaudio Monarch MKiii
Hyla Audio TE-5B
Plunge Audio Unity
Penon Serial
64 Audio a/u18s
Canpur 622B
Vision Ears VE8
MA Eclipse
64 Audio Fourte Blanc
KIwi Ears Cadenza
Shure KSE-1200
Goldplanar GL-AMT16
Shure SE846
Kinera Imperial Loki
Oriolus Szalayi
Beyerdynamic Xelento 2
FATfreq Maestro Mini
Campfire Audio Ponderosa
Softears Turii
Rhapsodio Eden
Ambient Acoustics MAD24
64 Audio Nio
Unique Melody Le Jardin
Custom Art Hybrid 3 Pro
Moondrop Variations
Penon Impact
Soranik Basilica
Truthear Nova
64 Audio Volume
Empire Ears Legend X
Technics EAH-TZ700
Kiwi ears Quintet,
Empire Ears Valkyrie
Penon Orb
TGX Ear Serratus
Rhapsodio Supreme V3
Audeze LCD-i4
Elysian Dio (Proto)
Let me add more to the list 😁
RN6, Jewel, Raven (incoming)

Oct 6, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #65,891 of 89,374

Fir Rn6 x16
Oriolus Traillii x15
Subtonic Storm x15

Elysian Annihilator x14
Fir Xe6 x12

Noble Audio Viking x9
Nightjar Singularity x7
Empire Ears Raven x7
VIsion Ears Phönix/LE x6
Sony IER Z1R x6
Unique Melody Mentor x5
Fir Electron 12 x5
Noble Ronin x4
FATfreq Grand Maestro x4
Elysian Diva x4
FatFreq Maestro SE x4
Aroma Fei Wan x3
64 Audio a/u12t x3
VE/AK Aura x3
Fitear DC TI x3
AüR Audio Neon Pro x3
Symphonium Crimson x3
Aroma Jewel x3
NightJar Duality x3
Dita Perpetua x3

Sennheiser ie600 x2
Aroma Thunder x2
Vision Ears EXT x2
Vision Ears VEX x2
Penon 10th x2
Sound Rhyme DTE900 x2
Final Audio E5000 x2
Softears Turii Ti x2
Custom Art Fibae 5 x2
Empire/AK Odyssey x2
Airpods Pro 2 x2
AüR Audio Aurora x2
Sound Rhyme SR8 x2
64 Audio u4s x2
Unique Melody Mason x2
Simphonio P0 x2

7th Acoustics Supernova
Sennheiser ie900
Empire Ears Bravado MKii
IMR Acoustics Titan
IKKO OH5 Asgard
UM Mest
Fitear TG334
Etymotic ER4XR
Thieaudio Monarch MKiii
Hyla Audio TE-5B
Plunge Audio Unity
Penon Serial
64 Audio a/u18s
Canpur 622B
Vision Ears VE8
MA Eclipse
64 Audio Fourte Blanc
KIwi Ears Cadenza
Shure KSE-1200
Goldplanar GL-AMT16
Shure SE846
Kinera Imperial Loki
Oriolus Szalayi
Beyerdynamic Xelento 2
FATfreq Maestro Mini
Campfire Audio Ponderosa
Softears Turii
Rhapsodio Eden
Ambient Acoustics MAD24
64 Audio Nio
Unique Melody Le Jardin
Custom Art Hybrid 3 Pro
Moondrop Variations
Penon Impact
Soranik Basilica
Truthear Nova
64 Audio Volume
Empire Ears Legend X
Technics EAH-TZ700
Kiwi ears Quintet,
Empire Ears Valkyrie
Penon Orb
TGX Ear Serratus
Rhapsodio Supreme V3
Audeze LCD-i4
Elysian Dio (Proto)

Unique Melody The Multiverse Mentor
Astell&Kern Odyssey
Sony IER-Z1R

Oct 6, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #65,893 of 89,374
wait till you hear storms bass :) traillii is more vocal centric and perhaps a tad bit more easy listen with respect to storm.

Oct 6, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #65,895 of 89,374

Fir Rn6 x16
Oriolus Traillii x15
Subtonic Storm x15

Elysian Annihilator x14
Fir Xe6 x12

Noble Audio Viking x9
Nightjar Singularity x7
Empire Ears Raven x7
VIsion Ears Phönix/LE x6
Sony IER Z1R x6