The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 9, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #55,306 of 89,889
Because it's tuned to the more widespread traditional audiophile crowd, and I imagine much of the appeal of the xe6 was in it's novelty, including it's tuning. In a world of similar IEMs, it was ambitious in trying a tuning that you either loved or hated. RN6 being a crowd pleaser ironically is what makes it limited edition in Fir's lineup of IEMs that defy convention. Firs limited edition model is, arguably, the safer model, and at a lower price point rather than the traditional higher one. They’ve disrupted the usual marketing approach here, and it’s working.
I agree with you. Its tuning should make it more popular. It should be similarly priced as XE6, but it is significantly cheaper. Since it is a LE, it should actually be priced higher than XE6, not lower.

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #55,307 of 89,889
one thing surprises me is how traillii won last yr with such vengeance where this year it’s tie (well, not even so). mentor existed last year too no ?

is this a self perpetuating hype of some kind ?
I don't think it was out this time of the year last year - relatively new product. The V3 was out, the the Multiverse wasn't. Also, the Traillii has been around for awhile.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #55,309 of 89,889
Bogdan told me that there will be one more IEM released in the Frontier Series. Since there are 7 noble gases, it will be either helium (HE), argon (AR) or oganesson (OG). They should just go ahead and make all 7.
I think we can rule out the Fir Oganesson just based on the name alone. FiR OG does sound cool though.

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #55,310 of 89,889
One thing I am curious about is what percentage of the market for these "luxury" products even visits online forums like this at all with any regularity.

Out of curiosity, is there a specific example you are thinking of?

This recent poll got me thinking how the IEMs we consistently regard as the cream of the crop don't generally get recognized as such elsewhere.

one thing surprises me is how traillii won last yr with such vengeance where this year it’s tie (well, not even so). mentor existed last year too no ?

This particular poll was specifically framed as "What's in your mind/heart at this moment" vs. "What are your favorites of all time". Hence we see a lot of newer releases...and in fact many IEMs that have not even been properly released at atll yet...dominating. An additional factor for Traillii is that the Mentor has usurped it for a number of people...something the Jewel came close to doing but did not persist. Traillii is more than hype at this point-- it's been around for a few years and still dominates and is a benchmark for many. Some folks, like myself, feel it has not been properly usurped yet at all, though I personally feel the Storm is the IEM that in actuality may succeed in doing that. The Mentor is still earning its keep-- if it's still at the top of the charts one year down the road, which last year's incumbent Jewel failed to do...then that is something.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #55,311 of 89,889
Bogdan told me that there will be one more IEM released in the Frontier Series. Since there are 7 noble gases, it will be either helium (HE), argon (AR) or oganesson (OG). They should just go ahead and make all 7.

Helium is too pedestrian, Oganesson too weird-- my bet is on Argon 6. Then with the Xe6, Rn6 and Ar6 we'll have a beast of a Frontier series.

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #55,312 of 89,889
One thing I am curious about is what percentage of the market for these "luxury" products even visits online forums like this at all with any regularity.

This recent poll got me thinking how the IEMs we consistently regard as the cream of the crop don't generally get recognized as such elsewhere.

This particular poll was specifically framed as "What's in your mind at this moment" vs. "What are your favorites of all time". Hence we see a lot of newer releases...and in fact many IEMs that have not even been properly released at atll yet...dominating. An additional factor for Traillii is that the Mentor has usurped it for a number of people...something the Jewel came close to doing but did not persist. Traillii is more than hype at this point-- it's been around for a few years and still dominates and is a benchmark for many. Some folks, like myself, feel it has not been properly usurped yet at all, though I personally feel the Storm is the IEM that in actuality may succeed in doing that. The Mentor is still earning its keep-- if it's still at the top of the charts one year down the road, which last year's incumbent Jewel failed to do...then that is something.
I predict that the Mentor won't be at the top next year. I think that a lot of our cream of the crop are pretty new also, so many Youtubers won't have them until they can get them for free from the company after sales have died down. I was wondering the same thing about luxury products on forums. Like how many other sub-forums are there out there like this one? Watches obviously. Maybe sunglasses or cars. Cameras likely.

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #55,313 of 89,889
I think we can rule out the Fir Oganesson just based on the name alone. FiR OG does sound cool though.
Since Oganesson was discovered by Russians, I think that would be the reason it won't be named it. Besides, nobody could ever remember that name.

My bet is on Argon since Helium is so common. I am going to guess AR7.

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #55,315 of 89,889
Cool? Would it be confusing? You have Fir series first, then sequel (Rn6), then OG coming out.

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #55,316 of 89,889
I predict that the Mentor won't be at the top next year. I think that a lot of our cream of the crop are pretty new also, so many Youtubers won't have them until they can get them for free from the company after sales have died down. I was wondering the same thing about luxury products on forums. Like how many other sub-forums are there out there like this one? Watches obviously. Maybe sunglasses or cars. Cameras likely.

I don't think it's just that they don't have them. Traillii, for example, never got anywhere near the regard we give it elsewhere that I am aware of.

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #55,318 of 89,889
Since Oganesson was discovered by Russians, I think that would be the reason it won't be named it. Besides, nobody could ever remember that name.

My bet is on Argon since Helium is so common. I am going to guess AR7.
AR7 sounds like a name for rifles :).

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #55,320 of 89,889

Users who are viewing this thread

Back