The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 9, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #55,291 of 89,882
If people uses limited edition not in a pure marketing perspective, there are two possibility: they want to preserve the value of Rn6; they want to NOT hurt the buyers of XE6. I heard numerous complaints regarding companies keep pumping out new releases, which makes some buyers feel the pain of not able to catch up. Maybe limited edition will ease that pain?

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #55,292 of 89,882
If people uses limited edition not in a pure marketing perspective, there are two possibility: they want to preserve the value of Rn6; they want to NOT hurt the buyers of XE6. I heard numerous complaints regarding companies keep pumping out new releases, which makes some buyers feel the pain of not able to catch up. Maybe limited edition will ease that pain?
I fully expect to not be able to get anywhere what I paid for my RN6 back when I sell it.

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #55,295 of 89,882
never came to my mind but makes perfect sense

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #55,296 of 89,882
Point of philosophical discussion:

Why is it that the general impressions, thoughts and viewpoints in this thread are often far removed from those of so many self-declared IEM "experts" found on Youtube etc.?
"Birds of a feather flock together."

We influence each others purchases and people of like mind and tastes aggregate here. It's the same reason why we focus on IEMs and portable set ups instead of full sized headphone systems. Headphones get mentioned occasionally, but that is not where the center of gravity of interests lie in this thread.

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #55,298 of 89,882
It's not just that they're not talking about them, but there is a regular insinuation that we (and by we I mean in general those who indulge in higher end IEMs, not just in this thread) are all suffering from some sort of mass hysteria. In the automobile industry for instance, you can see reviews of mid or lower tier vehicles that take for granted that they are not at the level of performance of higher end products. That doesn't seem to be the case here. Perhaps this stems from the (IMHO) false assumption that FR is the only thing that is relevant.

Most people believe in the dimishing return, which I did when I watch those YouTuber and have no idea what head-fi is. From my personal experience from sub kilo IEMs, it seems that it is correct that dimishing return is hitting hard when price goes up to the top. Therefore, why pay 500% for the last 2% of improvement?

However, now I know, or to put it in a better way, I believe that you pay for what you get. For example, I consider the jump from UM Mest Mk2 to Mentor is not just the last 5% in my sound impression, it is HUGE. It absolutely justified the price you pay.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #55,299 of 89,882
I wonder why RN6 is a limited release IEM? It is so good. I think it has tuning that will resonate with more people on first listen. XE6 can take some time to get used to given its overloaded lower mids. They do sound different, but very similar.
Because it's tuned to the more widespread traditional audiophile crowd, and I imagine much of the appeal of the xe6 was in it's novelty, including it's tuning. In a world of similar IEMs, it was ambitious in trying a tuning that you either loved or hated. RN6 being a crowd pleaser ironically is what makes it limited edition in Fir's lineup of IEMs that defy convention. Firs limited edition model is, arguably, the safer model, and at a lower price point rather than the traditional higher one. They’ve disrupted the usual marketing approach here, and it’s working.

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #55,301 of 89,882
I think it's the pinnacle release of the Frontier Series - a magnum opus if you will. Just a guess (since they're impossible to get a hold of), but I think they'll be releasing the next series soon.

Bogdan told me that there will be one more IEM released in the Frontier Series. Since there are 7 noble gases, it will be either helium (HE), argon (AR) or oganesson (OG). They should just go ahead and make all 7.

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #55,302 of 89,882
one thing surprises me is how traillii won last yr with such vengeance where this year it’s tie (well, not even so). mentor existed last year too no ?

is this a self perpetuating hype of some kind ?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #55,303 of 89,882
Yes. But also no. Mostly it'll just kill the value of their current lineup. Just like the release of the Frontier series did to the M series. That doesn't make the M series bad, just somewhat obsolete.

The Frontier series don’t make the M series obsolete though. They sound nothing alike. The M series follow a much more neutral ish curve with some added warmth. Not like the Frontiers which are all warmer and bassier with different upper mid/treble tunings. I’d say the only thing that made the M series “obsolete” is time and better executed products aiming for a similar sound profile.

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #55,305 of 89,882

Users who are viewing this thread

Back