The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 9, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #55,321 of 88,899
Apr 9, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #55,323 of 88,899
That could be a price thing. I've still never heard a pair due to price.

Rn6 is the same price a Traillii currently goes for used. Not an excuse :p

That said the quality question and the value question are entirely distinct. One can admit that the Traillii is a cream of the crop sounding IEM but also maintain that it's not worth anywhere near the asking price.

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #55,324 of 88,899
Rn6 is the same price a Traillii currently goes for used. Not an excuse :p

That said the quality question and the value question are entirely distinct. One can admit that the Traillii is a cream of the crop sounding IEM but also maintain that it's not worth anywhere near the asking price.
You're not wrong, there's a few other factors. A) I haven't found a Trailli for sale in the US. B) I hate the red faceplates. C) knockoffs make it hard to buy with confidence. D) The Traillii used still goes for the what the RN6 goes for new - but everyone has already reviewed it haha.

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #55,325 of 88,899
Cool? Would it be confusing? You have Fir series first, then sequel (Rn6), then OG coming out.
Anything 'OG' sounds cool, although being that FiR is still a relatively young company with the Frontier Series being only the second series of IEMs after the M series, I don't think they have quite the heritage yet to back up 'OG' status. Argon does seem to be the most likely candidate. The only question is what number will follow the AR, but yeah, my mind did immediately think of firearms when I head 'AR'.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #55,327 of 88,899
being that FiR is still a relatively young company with the Frontier Series being only the second series of IEMs after the M series, I don't think they have quite the heritage yet to back up 'OG' status.

I dunno I'm kind of sympathetic to what @twister6 said, namely that Fir is "new" in name only. They're basically the creative force of what was essentially one of the OG IEM companies. IMHO it's no coincidence that the M series appeared right around the time we should have expected a refreshed lineup and vision from 64 Audio, who in retrospect appear as something of the IBM of the IEM world. There are definitely a lot of similarities in the DNA of 64 and Fir IEMs in terms of tuning and sensitibilities and a lot of similar tech too. I would argue that beginning with the OG Fourte 64 started to become a little more experimental. Fir Audio in retrospect seems a natural and direct evolute of this.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #55,329 of 88,899
I dunno I'm kind of sympathetic to what @twister6 said, namely that Fir is "new" in name only. They're basically the creative force of what was essentially one of the OG IEM companies. IMHO it's no coincidence that the M series appeared right around the time we should have expected a refreshed lineup and vision from 64 Audio, who in retrospect appear as something of the IBM of the IEM world. There is definitely a lot of similarities in the DNA of 64 and Fir IEMs in terms of tuning and sensitibilities and a lot of similar tech too.
Very true. Both were part of the "family business."

Apr 9, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #55,330 of 88,899
You can find Traillii clones on AliExpress for $1,300. I'm not going to point them out because they're unlikely to be anywhere as good and I don't want to see anyone get ripped off.

Fair enough but if you stick to the Headfi classifieds there are plenty of Trailliis available from reputable sellers and virtually no risk of knockoffs.

Apr 9, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #55,332 of 88,899
Very true. Both were part of the "family business."

They were not just part of the family business of 12 Belonozhko brothers and sisters. While Vitaliy is a founder, Bogdan was CEO of 64audio and then Vlad took over, and now both are running the company along with their younger brother Alex who is tuning IEMs and I believe Roman also being involved in some capacity. And both Bogdan and Vlad were behind 64audio last big OG releases of U18t, Fourte, U12t, and Trio and the tech behind it.

Apr 9, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #55,333 of 88,899
I dunno I'm kind of sympathetic to what @twister6 said, namely that Fir is "new" in name only. They're basically the creative force of what was essentially one of the OG IEM companies. IMHO it's no coincidence that the M series appeared right around the time we should have expected a refreshed lineup and vision from 64 Audio, who in retrospect appear as something of the IBM of the IEM world. There are definitely a lot of similarities in the DNA of 64 and Fir IEMs in terms of tuning and sensitibilities and a lot of similar tech too. I would argue that beginning with the OG Fourte 64 started to become a little more experimental. Fir Audio in retrospect seems a natural and direct evolute of this.
I've no doubt of the knowledge & experience the brothers brought with them to FiR, but I meant new in regards to the "OG" reference. FiR's heritage as an IEM company technically "only" runs two series deep, so for them to release an "OG" model is a bit premature, their experience at 64 Audio notwithstanding. (I know the OG is more in reference to the gas, but I was referencing "OG" in the context of the slang term). Much like how when Jerry Harvey first started JH Audio, it was a new company, again not discounting Ultimate Ears (and the fact that he invented the CIEM). No one can discount what Jerry Harvey has done, he's the absolute OG.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #55,334 of 88,899
They were not just part of the family business of 12 Belonozhko brothers and sisters. While Vitaliy is a founder, Bogdan was CEO of 64audio and then Vlad took over, and now both are running the company along with their younger brother Alex who is tuning IEMs and I believe Roman also being involved in some capacity. And both Bogdan and Vlad were behind 64audio last big OG releases of U18t, Fourte, U12t, and Trio and the tech behind it.
Yeah, I was being succinct haha

Apr 9, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #55,335 of 88,899
Point of philosophical discussion:

Why is it that the general impressions, thoughts and viewpoints in this thread are often far removed from those of so many self-declared IEM "experts" found on Youtube etc.?
Because ultimately no one here really cares if something is objectively "good"--good value for the price, technically good, etc. What they care about is whether or not they're going to like it and the sound signature it's trying to achieve. Everything else is all just graphs and product photos. Packaging promo shots and unboxing experiences can be fun, I guess.

Case in point, I'm casually following some of the drama in the Trifecta thread. Timmy thought it was one of the worst IEMs he'd ever heard. He was amazed that it sold out. Primary conclusion: Timmy's subjective experience is valid, and to his ears they suck. Secondary conclusion: despite Timmy hating them, other people liked them, enough so for them to sell out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back