The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 9, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #55,336 of 88,893
Can anyone help me check on this guy ? ( @NiceCans ), this man message me since I'm looking for a pair of um RED Holo, but i cant see his profile and the classified feedback is like years ago back in 2017 or 16, I don know if anyone here knew this guy, its just too much scam here in headfier recently and i am really afraid this is another...

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #55,337 of 88,893
Can anyone help me check on this guy ? ( @NiceCans ), this man message me since I'm looking for a pair of um RED Holo, but i cant see his profile and the classified feedback is like years ago back in 2017 or 16, I don know if anyone here knew this guy, its just too much scam here in headfier recently and i am really afraid this is another...
If the price is too good to be true it mostly likely is. Ask for timestamped photos. Since he reached out to you he should be willing to oblige any requests you have for additional information.

Apr 9, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #55,338 of 88,893
If the price is too good to be true it mostly likely is. Ask for timestamped photos. Since he reached out to you he should be willing to oblige any requests you have for additional information.
yeah should be a scam confirmed, I found the picture only from a HK dealer and its not from headfi, jesus crist, cant believe there are so many scamers here recently lol.
1681077289072.png

1681077263862.png

Apr 9, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #55,339 of 88,893
Because ultimately no one here really cares if something is objectively "good"--good value for the price, technically good, etc. What they care about is whether or not they're going to like it and the sound signature it's trying to achieve. Everything else is all just graphs and product photos. Packaging promo shots and unboxing experiences can be fun, I guess.

Case in point, I'm casually following some of the drama in the Trifecta thread. Timmy thought it was one of the worst IEMs he'd ever heard. He was amazed that it sold out. Primary conclusion: Timmy's subjective experience is valid, and to his ears they suck. Secondary conclusion: despite Timmy hating them, other people liked them, enough so for them to sell out.

I think a lot of this comes down to that age-old "objective/subjective" debate. This thread, not exclusively but on the whole, tends to be more on the subjective leaning side of the fence. Personally I think, beyond a point, the notion of "objectively good" is a misnomer, if not an outright myth. There are simply too many variables in terms of people's preferences, sensitivites, music libraries, priorities etc. There is also what I refer to as "oatmeal syndrome"-- the more universally appealing something is the less personality it tends to have. Personally when it comes to formal reviewers I tend to place them in one of 3 categories. A "bad" reviewer will help you find what his/her sponsors want you to like, a mediocre reviewer will help you find what he/she likes and a great reviewer will help you find what it is that you will like. The problem is that too many reviewers out there can't see beyond the horizon of their own target curves, preferences and biases. One reviewer I used to really enjoy in this regard was Resolve. He had a review once of the Campfire Atlas where he memorably referred to it as having "get off the bus and sh1t yourself bass". The IEM was clearly not within the realm of his preferences but the review nonetheless made it appealing for those (like myself) who would enjoy it. I've always held this sort of approach up as being the ideal. Another issue is that a imho some IEMs like Trifecta should not be summarily dismissed based on a show or shop demo. This is not to say there won't be people who hate it no matter what but imho it falls squarely in the same category as something like the Fir Xe6, which is known for being incredibly off putting to many at first who after time and brain burn in come to enjoy it. Timmy was amazed that Trifecta sold out. There are also people who are amazed at how popular Xe6 is. There are some IEMs whose popularitity amazes me given my inability to get on with them. The conclusion I am drawn to is simply that there is more than one way to skin a cat and not all great things will be loved by all people.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #55,340 of 88,893
yeah should be a scam confirmed, I found the picture only from a HK dealer and its not from headfi, jesus crist, cant believe there are so many scamers here recently lol.
1681077289072.png
1681077263862.png

Typically Head Fi's classifieds and feedback system is pretty good. Lately though it seems there have been some security breeches. I would personally ask for the person to write their username on a piece of paper and place it next to the IEM for a photo. If they are unwillig to do this, abort.

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #55,341 of 88,893
Typically Head Fi's classifieds and feedback system is pretty good. Lately though it seems there have been some security breeches. I would personally ask for the person to write their username on a piece of paper and place it next to the IEM for a photo. If they are unwillig to do this, abort.
yeah just did, but now I am 99 percent sure this guy is a scam, he even claim ( paddler57 ) this guy as the original owner who sold him the Red Halo but turns out it is also a scam as well and I cant see this guy replying any thread or being active here in headfi recently, just cringe.

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #55,342 of 88,893
I would suggest one more step, video calls(facetime etc) to make sure they actually own the item.
Also, everyone should enable 2-step verification for added security. 👮‍♂️👩‍⚖️

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #55,343 of 88,893
I would suggest one more step, video calls(facetime etc) to make sure they actually own the item.
Also, everyone should enable 2-step verification for added security. 👮‍♂️👩‍⚖️

There have been a few instances over the years, especially for big ticket items, where a phonecall and conversation comes in handy for me as a verification method.

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #55,344 of 88,893
Don't know him. Feedback from '15 is the earliest. I'd avoid

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #55,345 of 88,893
Typically Head Fi's classifieds and feedback system is pretty good. Lately though it seems there have been some security breeches.
Yeah - someone (@Strifeff7) contacted me a few days ago in response to a WTB post by me from several weeks ago. Offered me for price X, and when I said it is too much and politely declined his offer - he knocked off $1200...
I asked for photos, in order to move forward with a purchase. Never heard back from him (4 days have gone by). Sounds like super lame attempt at scamming me? I mean would ANYONE ever buy anything without a photo??

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #55,346 of 88,893
thanks for all your help, already avoid this guy, they way he talks is even weird as hell.

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #55,347 of 88,893
Because ultimately no one here really cares if something is objectively "good"--good value for the price, technically good, etc. What they care about is whether or not they're going to like it and the sound signature it's trying to achieve. Everything else is all just graphs and product photos. Packaging promo shots and unboxing experiences can be fun, I guess.

Case in point, I'm casually following some of the drama in the Trifecta thread. Timmy thought it was one of the worst IEMs he'd ever heard. He was amazed that it sold out. Primary conclusion: Timmy's subjective experience is valid, and to his ears they suck. Secondary conclusion: despite Timmy hating them, other people liked them, enough so for them to sell out.

This was always funny to me in headphone circles. People would argue what's objective, what's reference, what the artist intended, what's correct detail or whatever they'd fling poo about...

I stand by my opinions on it...

1.) You probably weren't there when it was mastered
2.) You probably weren't there when the artist gave the okay in person, over the phone or wherever they heard the final mix.
3.) Live performances are usually amplified and mixed.
4.) Acoustic sets can be played in poor acoustical environments.

Ultimately, no one knows objectivity because it's all subjective and we don't know 'reference' for that same reason. Preferences change as well. It's just about what moves you regardless of cost, popularity and public opinion. That's why I like this thread. Vast differing preferences politely taken in the sum of all considerations.

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #55,348 of 88,893
1681077289072.png
1681077263862.png
If you pay by paypal, would your transaction be protected?

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #55,349 of 88,893
Yeah - someone (@Strifeff7) contacted me a few days ago in response to a WTB post by me from several weeks ago. Offered me for price X, and when I said it is too much and politely declined his offer - he knocked off $1200...
I asked for photos, in order to move forward with a purchase. Never heard back from him (4 days have gone by). Sounds like super lame attempt at scamming me? I mean would ANYONE ever buy anything without a photo??
yeah, should be a scam, I asked the guy to send me more pictures, and this time with the name included on a paper like what @Rockwell75 said, and he cant provide anything and said that he prefers local pickup, I'm like what are you even talking about lmao??

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #55,350 of 88,893
If you pay by paypal, would your transaction be protected?
I dont think so, its just hard and takes a lot of time for money to get back to your side, PayPal doesn't give a crap about being scam, at least there customer service is terrible and not even helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back