The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 9, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #55,261 of 91,355
Yeah, Musicteck lists the Alpha TI as a collectible. I wonder if it will be considered that way in 5 years.

It’s marketed by Jomo and listed by Musicteck as a limited edition. While limited editions are collectibles in some hobbies (eg, watches), Alpha Ti is just limited in production and depreciated in value once it’s opened, and hits the classifieds. More likely it’ll be considered collectable by Jomo brand enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #55,262 of 91,355
It’s marketed by Jomo and listed by Musicteck as a limited edition. While limited editions are collectibles in some hobbies (eg, watches), Alpha Ti is just limited in production and depreciated in value once it’s opened, and hits the classifieds. More likely it’ll be considered collectable by Jomo brand enthusiasts.
Yeah, I know. It's certainly limited, but it won't be a collectible unless they never make something nicer or it has an amazing sound profile that can't be recreated.

Apr 9, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #55,263 of 91,355
There’s been lots of hacked accounts on Head-Fi recently, apparently. @AxLvR was a very, very recent victim. Watch your passwords, friends!
i get some responses for my wtb, then i go look for their profile and i get “this user limits who may see their profile” message. i don’t know if this is some kind of scam or legit message. happened twice with different users the last two days. my wtb is not that easy to come that often unless very lucky. on the flip side, i find it strange that both users restirct who can see ? who would do that anyways ?

Apr 9, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #55,264 of 91,355
i get some responses for my wtb, then i go look for their profile and i get “this user limits who may see their profile” message. i don’t know if this is some kind of scam or legit message. happened twice with different users the last two days. my wtb is not that easy to come that often unless very lucky. on the flip side, i find it strange that both users restirct who can see ? who would do that anyways ?
People who are concerned with privacy I guess. It's a real thing though. Don't buy from anyone without good feedback and you should be fine.

Apr 9, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #55,265 of 91,355
This. I only get "critical" listening time at home at a desk now, so more and more I'm eyeing a setup I can toss in a pocket. I miss my Cowon D3. That thing was teeny and it got everything I needed to done, plus had sufficient juice to drive my sennheisers.
Brings back memories of old audio hardware....I had a Cowon X5L, J3, and D2 (among others). I found the D2 to be too small. The Sony A306 is a much more usable/comforatable size, for me.
Also had the iRiver H320, before shifting to Cowon. Some people may not remember that iRiver became A&K

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #55,266 of 91,355
Results so far:

Mentor x13
Xe6 x13
Rn6 x12
Traillii x10

Storm x9
Trifecta x9
IER Z1R x9
Ronin x8
Ragnar x7
Fibae 5 x7
Maestro SE x6
Phonix LE x6

Raven x5
Singularity x5
Alita x4
a/u12t x5
Legend X x4
Dio x3
Loak-TC x3
VE Red Prototype x3
Aure x3
Odin x3

SE846 x2
Odyssey x2
Kr5 x2
Jewel x2
EXT x2
Le Jardin x2
Mentawai x2
Neon Pro x2
Legend Evo x2
FitEar DC Ti x2
Mason x2
Serial x2
Zeta x2
Andromeda 2020 x2
Phonix OG x2
LCDi4 x2
Blanc/Noir x2
Fourte x2
Grand Maestro x2
Duo x2

Basilica
A5000
9iNE
Nio
Khopesh
Mach60
Camelot
Svanar
MEST Mkii
Isabellae
Nemesis
K3003
IE800
Eden
Turii OG
Andromeda Emerald Sea
IER-M9
Duality
Totem (bud)
Carbon (bud)
u18s
FH9
EDP Ace
Advar
AirPods
MH334SR
Red Halo
Mellianus
Eletech Prototype
u4s
FitEar DC
FitEar C435
V16
Khan
Sound Rhyme SR5
Annihilator
Elysian X
ER2XR
ER4XR
DesTI
EST550
Mezzo LE
Euclid
Sultan
Diva
Indigo
Monarch II
Alpha Ti
HS2000MX "笙 SHO" Mk2
Szalayi
Supermoon
Maestro Mini
Reborn
Onyx
Fibae 7U
Turii Ti

Keep the votes coming!

Indeed. One takeaway so far is just how far 64 Audio has fallen from mainstream popularity at this end of the market. Hope to see them pay attention to the higher end audiophile market again soon.

With the exception of Duo they haven't released anything truly new since the original Fourte.

Is it because their talent left to create Fir Audio?

This is the answer right here I believe.

I was tempted to say we are a fickle bunch, but I suspect the reality is more of “raised curiosity” due to Camjam NY & SG reports, which has understandably tended to focus on the newer models like RE6, Raven, Ronin and I guess that’s why the poll has skewed the way it has.

Yup. This was one of the reasons I waited until after CanJam SG to do this poll. The "top 5" poll we'll do in a month or so will give a better impressions of people's lasting favorites.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #55,267 of 91,355
Brings back memories of old audio hardware....I had a Cowon X5L, J3, and D2 (among others). I found the D2 to be too small. The Sony A306 is a much more usable/comforatable size, for me.
Also had the iRiver H320, before shifting to Cowon. Some people may not remember that iRiver became A&K
I don't know what almost all the things you mentioned are. I did have an iRiver mp3 player though many year ago. I was mostly full-size headphones until recently though.

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #55,268 of 91,355
Some people may not remember that iRiver became A&K
I do, and admittedly it's why I raise my eyebrows a bit at their pricing and the way in which they've seemingly reinvented themselves into the Apple of audiophile gear.

Re: depreciation, I think maybe the sole exception to this might be limited edition cables, or, alternatively, really limited edition sets, stuff put out by relative unknowns in hyper-limited quantities. My Khopesh were part of a set of 200 (100 acrylic, 100 metal) but it's true that aside from visual novelty, there likely will be IEMs that sound better or have more interesting gimmicks in 10 years time. Then again, the Noble K10s still sound good, so while collector's value might not be there in terms of fiscal appreciation, if you find the sound that's right for you, there's extra value if it's a limited edition set that you can't get easily anymore. The collector's value is there for the end-user.

Case in point: after getting on a Last of Us kick watching the HBO series, I got really into the wardrobe (as I do with most film and tv classics I like--ask me sometime about the outfit I own that includes the exact sweater, boots, chinos and a very close replica coat Ryan Gosling wore in Blade Runner 2049). The watch Joel wears is based on a long out of production Lum-tec combat watch. I got turned onto the watch brand and ended up falling in love with their combat bronze series, which uses the same physical bezel but in bronze instead of titanium. I got lucky in that I happened to find someone entirely random selling one on marketplace (they only made 250 or so of them). Is it going to appreciate in value? Not at all, it retailed for over $1200, and I paid about half that. Is it an ultra collectible watch? Not at all, there's several other more expensive, rarer watches out there, and by watch collector values, 600 is barely bending over money. But it's collectible and special to me, and at the end of the day, that's sort of really all that matters.

Attachments

• 20230409_141943.jpg
    20230409_141943.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Apr 9, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #55,269 of 91,355
Results so far:

Mentor x13
Xe6 x13
Rn6 x12
Traillii x10

Storm x9
Trifecta x9
IER Z1R x9
Ronin x8
Ragnar x7
Fibae 5 x7
Maestro SE x6
Phonix LE x6

Raven x5
Singularity x5
Alita x4
a/u12t x5
Legend X x4
Dio x3
Loak-TC x3
VE Red Prototype x3
Aure x3
Odin x3

SE846 x2
Odyssey x2
Kr5 x2
Jewel x2
EXT x2
Le Jardin x2
Mentawai x2
Neon Pro x2
Legend Evo x2
FitEar DC Ti x2
Mason x2
Serial x2
Zeta x2
Andromeda 2020 x2
Phonix OG x2
LCDi4 x2
Blanc/Noir x2
Fourte x2
Grand Maestro x2
Duo x2

Basilica
A5000
9iNE
Nio
Khopesh
Mach60
Camelot
Svanar
MEST Mkii
Isabellae
Nemesis
K3003
IE800
Eden
Turii OG
Andromeda Emerald Sea
IER-M9
Duality
Totem (bud)
Carbon (bud)
u18s
FH9
EDP Ace
Advar
AirPods
MH334SR
Red Halo
Mellianus
Eletech Prototype
u4s
FitEar DC
FitEar C435
V16
Khan
Sound Rhyme SR5
Annihilator
Elysian X
ER2XR
ER4XR
DesTI
EST550
Mezzo LE
Euclid
Sultan
Diva
Indigo
Monarch II
Alpha Ti
HS2000MX "笙 SHO" Mk2
Szalayi
Supermoon
Maestro Mini
Reborn
Onyx
Fibae 7U
Turii Ti

Keep the votes coming!

With the exception of Duo they haven't released anything truly new since Fourte.

This is the answer right here I believe.

Yup. This was one of the reasons I waited until after CanJam SG to do this poll. The "top 5" poll we'll do in a month or so will give a better impressions of people's lasting favorites.
Fun stuff. Of course availability to listen to stuff on this list also makes an impact as well. I still like seeing the "Rankings"

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #55,270 of 91,355
Fun stuff. Of course availability to listen to stuff on this list also makes an impact as well. I still like seeing the "Rankings"

Speaking of Impact I'm surprised that one didn't even get a mention.

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #55,271 of 91,355
I do, and admittedly it's why I raise my eyebrows a bit at their pricing and the way in which they've seemingly reinvented themselves into the Apple of audiophile gear.

Re: depreciation, I think maybe the sole exception to this might be limited edition cables, or, alternatively, really limited edition sets, stuff put out by relative unknowns in hyper-limited quantities. My Khopesh were part of a set of 200 (100 acrylic, 100 metal) but it's true that aside from visual novelty, there likely will be IEMs that sound better or have more interesting gimmicks in 10 years time. Then again, the Noble K10s still sound good, so while collector's value might not be there in terms of fiscal appreciation, if you find the sound that's right for you, there's extra value if it's a limited edition set that you can't get easily anymore. The collector's value is there for the end-user.

Case in point: after getting on a Last of Us kick watching the HBO series, I got really into the wardrobe (as I do with most film and tv classics I like--ask me sometime about the outfit I own that includes the exact sweater, boots, chinos and a very close replica coat Ryan Gosling wore in Blade Runner 2049). The watch Joel wears is based on a long out of production Lum-tec combat watch. I got turned onto the watch brand and ended up falling in love with their combat bronze series, which uses the same physical bezel but in bronze instead of titanium. I got lucky in that I happened to find someone entirely random selling one on marketplace (they only made 250 or so of them). Is it going to appreciate in value? Not at all, it retailed for over $1200, and I paid about half that. Is it an ultra collectible watch? Not at all, there's several other more expensive, rarer watches out there, and by watch collector values, 600 is barely bending over money. But it's collectible and special to me, and at the end of the day, that's sort of really all that matters.
Nice blue!

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #55,273 of 91,355
Point of philosophical discussion:

Why is it that the general impressions, thoughts and viewpoints in this thread are often far removed from those of so many self-declared IEM "experts" found on Youtube etc.?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #55,275 of 91,355
Nice blue!
Black dial actually (lighting). I debated getting the b19 (the green dial version) but I like the versatility with different bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back