The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 14, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #35,041 of 89,894
The devil on my shoulder was much more gently with me today as he told me I don't really need an expensive DAP to enjoy the music, even though he could clearly hear the vast uptick in sound quality between the RU6 and RS6 himself. He even asked me if I really wanted to travel with such a heavy brick in my backpack forever, and adviced me from the bottom of his heart (oh yes, devils do have one) that as long as I'm living out of a backpack I'd better focus on really portable improvements like an excellent cable or different eartips. Heck, he even suggested the FiR Gold/N17 modules! What's a man to do???

drftr
According to his advice, you should understand that it was an angel)

Sep 14, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #35,042 of 89,894
Sep 14, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #35,043 of 89,894
I gave the honours to deflower my new love to Geddy Lee & Friends (Moving Pictures). Pretty cool... Had to use m20 to do his fab bass playing justice though.

Does the U18t stock cable really sound a bit nasty, almost like squeezed? It's like there's Van Den Hul cable inside or so. And like Skippy I definitely have to work on the eartips. I thought the stock silicone tips sounded best but it's very tough to get a seal, while my Spinfit 145 and Final E exaggerate the lean balance too much. Time for more shopping!

drftr
Geedy Lee is THE Man. 😎🤘

Sep 14, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #35,044 of 89,894
Sep 14, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #35,045 of 89,894
Good call my friend... In 3.5 months I will finish my first decade of living out of a bag 😃 So either I like it a lot, I'm really slow in the head, or... all of the above.

drftr
I admire you in that regards since I got homesick if I am traveling for more than 2 weeks.

Sep 14, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #35,046 of 89,894
Geedy Lee is THE Man. 😎🤘
Dating myself here one of my fondest memories of concerts was the Moving Pictures tour. I caught Rush in Philadelphia at the Spectrum a venue that no longer exists.

Highlight was Neil throwing his stick almost to the ceiling returning on exactly the path he tossed it up at, catching on the way down just in time to hit the first of a roll across all the top drums. Right in time. Amazing. YYZ is such an awesome track for testing percussion.

Sep 14, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #35,047 of 89,894
Rip Neil.

He was amazing. As a musician and as a human being. 😎👌

Rush rules! 👉🤘

Sep 14, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #35,048 of 89,894
After over two years, I'll be going to three concerts in the next few months! :) really looking forward to it.

Hope you all can enjoy live music again as well. That's what it's all about 😁

To contribute to this ongoing conversation, my highlights were seeing Herbie Hancock in 2019, even though I had to rush out during the encore to get my train home. And also Ryan Porter was a very great one, Kamasi Washington was there, too. Ghost-Note were also extremely good, two people of this band held seven Grammys at the time, not even 20 people in the audience, what a waste. They did get off the ground though and are Zildjians House Band now :)

When I was younger, I saw Colour Haze a few times, on different Festivals and concerts, the Stoner Rock Phase did really influence my taste in music.

I could go on, sorry for the rambling, just remembered how good these times were. I really gotta drag myself out of the house more often now and get back into music as a group experience.

I would love to hear some of your stories!

Sep 14, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #35,049 of 89,894
After over two years, I'll be going to three concerts in the next few months! :) really looking forward to it.

To contribute to this ongoing conversation, my highlights were seeing Herbie Hancock in 2019, even though I had to rush out during the encore to get my train home. And also Ryan Porter was a very great one, Kamasi Washington was there, too. Ghost-Note were also extremely good, two people of this band held seven Grammys at the time, not even 20 people in the audience, what a waste. They did get off the ground though and are Zildjians House Band now :)

When I was younger, I saw Colour Haze a few times, on different Festivals and concerts, the Stoner Rock Phase did really influence my taste in music.

I could go on, sorry for the rambling, just remembered how good these times were. I really gotta drag myself out of the house more often now and get back into music as a group experience.

Yes I'm keen to get back out and about, it has become too easy to be a social recluse since covid!

My last gig before the pandemic was Julia Jacklin in a relatively small venue in Dublin. My brother was going with a friend, but the friend had to cancel at short notice so my brother asked if I was interested - I hadn't heard her before but thought why not... I had a great night, she was really spectacular and one I listen to on a regular basis since.

Before that, I went to see Massive Attack in a large venue in Dublin - this was their 2019 revisit to the stunning 'Mezzanine' from 1998... I'm a fan of theirs since the early 90s and it was an amazing gig.

Next up, a really big one for me which is The Cure when they play in December. An obsession since the late 80s, but yet to see them live - my wife and two kids love them too, and we are all going together.

I plan to keep an eye on other events, definitely need more live music in my life again!

Sep 14, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #35,050 of 89,894

Awesome. I went to 2 concerts (Lady Gaga and Silk Sonic), a Musical (Hadestown), and The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. Really great getting out again after 2 years of Covid

Sep 14, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #35,052 of 89,894
Rip Neil.

He was amazing. As a musician and as a human being. 😎👌

Rush rules! 👉🤘
Never listened to Rush but saw the bassist and guitarist playing at the Taylor Hawkins gig at Wembley. Dude on bass was incredible, defo going to add some Rush to my library. :L3000:

Sep 14, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #35,053 of 89,894
I think I still have most of my concert stubs (100+), but I think my GA days are over; it's reserved seating for me these days. One of my most memorable concerts was seeing Linkin Park at MSG; Jay-Z showed up out of nowhere and LP & him performed several of their mash-ups from their Collision Course album. RIP Chester

chester1.235fce1d.jpg

Sep 14, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #35,054 of 89,894
Two more days until travel...it's getting hard to focus on work now lmao. #CanJamSoCal

Sep 14, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #35,055 of 89,894
According to his advice, you should understand that it was an angel)
Perhaps I should have known because of the detailed suggestions. But maybe things have changed and now the angel is in the details?

I admire you in that regards since I got homesick if I am traveling for more than 2 weeks.
There's only one cure: I truly feel home everywhere, so homesick has no chance on me.

Dating myself here one of my fondest memories of concerts was the Moving Pictures tour. I caught Rush in Philadelphia at the Spectrum a venue that no longer exists.

Highlight was Neil throwing his stick almost to the ceiling returning on exactly the path he tossed it up at, catching on the way down just in time to hit the first of a roll across all the top drums. Right in time. Amazing. YYZ is such an awesome track for testing percussion.
Never listened to Rush but saw the bassist and guitarist playing at the Taylor Hawkins gig at Wembley. Dude on bass was incredible, defo going to add some Rush to my library. :L3000:
Rush was one of the first bands I fell in love with, and contrary to most I find their debut album Rush one of the best. But A Farewell To Kings and Moving Pictures are absolutely in the same league and it would be hard to pick a clear favourite.

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back