The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Mar 24, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #677 of 4,695

Very Interesting.  Though I would like to hear more on the sound of these compared to some expensive brothers like closed Shures  and Sennheisers HD 25-1. I already have one comment saying that Pro 80 are almost about as good as HD25-1. If that is true it's all I need to know in order to feel confident in my purchase.

Mar 24, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #678 of 4,695
how they compare to HD25 in your ears are hard for others to know, I do not have a set of HD25, so it would be wrong of me to say that the pro80 is better or worse than those..
But I can say that I can not imagine anybody finding Pro80 a bad buy, for the price paid they are hard to beat..

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #679 of 4,695
Quote:

If that is the case, the culprit must be the pads, since most everything else are the same components, so changing the pads should give you the best of both worlds.
I am not quite finished, but recently I tore my Pro 80's and HI 2050's apart and compared them.

I have modded my Pro80's and they replaced my JVC HA-RX700/900 in the office and I would almost bet I could mod a pair of HI2050's to the exact same outcome (provided the drivers ARE the same, specs and looks suggest they are).

I compare the two phones here (work in progress): http://www.mcfrede.dk/projects/takstar_hi_2050_pro_80_design_review/takstar_hi_2050_pro_80_design_review_01.shtml
...and here I mod my Pro 80's: http://www.mcfrede.dk/projects/takstar_pro_80_headphone_mods/takstar_pro_80_headphone_mods_01.shtml

I'm still trying to figure out which earpads are the best available replacement for the Pro 80s. There is nothing wrong with the Pro 80 pads other than their smallish inner diameter that makes them uncomfortable on my ears. I don't have large ears so I'm surprised no one else has this problem.

cubdog

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #680 of 4,695
Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out which earpads are the best available replacement for the Pro 80s. There is nothing wrong with the Pro 80 pads other than their smallish inner diameter that makes them uncomfortable on my ears. I don't have large ears so I'm surprised no one else has this problem.

cubdog

For me, the HI 2050 pads have the same issue.  They are just big enough to get my ears into and with the headband's restricted adjustability, they have to be in the right position for me to wear for a long session.  I did try the Brainwavz HM5 pads on them, but they are cushier, so that made it worse with the headband issue so I went back.  

Given that the Pro 80's are supposedly for smaller heads than the HI 2050's, I'm glad I went with the 2050's.  

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #681 of 4,695
Quote:

cubdog

Myself and others has recommended the HM5 pads several times in this thread.

I used the stock pads for about 15 minutes before shifting to the HM5 pads and have used them ever since, They are way thicker and softer than the stock pads so it should help with the clamping also. I have a very small head so the clamping is perfect for me.

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #682 of 4,695
Quote:
Myself and others has recommended the HM5 pads several times in this thread.

I used the stock pads for about 15 minutes before shifting to the HM5 pads and have used them ever since, They are way thicker and softer than the stock pads so it should help with the clamping also. I have a very small head so the clamping is perfect for me.

You are correct and I had forgotten about the HM5 pads which I have. So, another question. How the heck do you fit them onto the Pro 80 cups? That small slot is nearly impossible to fit the ear pad into. No matter what I try I can't seem to get in in there. It's hard enough getting the stock Pro 80 pads on. I admit I'm not the most patient person but this is driving me crazy.

cubdog

Mar 24, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #683 of 4,695
You are correct and I had forgotten about the HM5 pads which I have. So, another question. How the heck do you fit them onto the Pro 80 cups? That small slot is nearly impossible to fit the ear pad into. No matter what I try I can't seem to get in in there. It's hard enough getting the stock Pro 80 pads on. I admit I'm not the most patient person but this is driving me crazy.

cubdog

You should most definetly try them, they're really great.

They do fit the same way like the stock ones there's just a little hustle to get them in there but it's not that difficult.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #685 of 4,695
The 2050's and TS-671s have my interest in a big way. I'm loving my Somic MH463s but if I can match or exceed that sound quality in a more comfortable package in the same price range...
dt880smile.png

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #689 of 4,695
The comfort of The Takstars is much better than Somic, soundwise it is a matter of taste IMO..
The Somic are a really good bargin, that is for sure, but so is the Takstar..

Luckyli I do not have to choose, as I got both (and then some)

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #690 of 4,695
I really hated the stock coiled cable so I decided to chop it off and replace it with a jack so it'll be detachable. Turned out pretty nicely. Going to go back at a later date and replace the stock wiring. It's dreadfully cheap wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back