The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Jan 7, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #2,746 of 4,701
So I have had the Takstar Pro 80 for a bit and have decided to return them. I will outline my experience for any potential buyers and why it may or may not be for you. Let me preface this post by saying that the Takstar Pro 80 is a SOLID headphone for the price. Really, for the price you would be hard pressed to find a more capable closed back pair of headphones. 

Out of curioisity: did your pro 80s have a coiled or straight cable?

I say this because my hi2050 headband, like you experienced, is a very small and tight fit, while my (straight-cabled) pro 80 has a much larger headband. The earcup clamps are very clearly larger comparing the two. I believe its something they fixed on later models but have older ones floating around.

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #2,747 of 4,701
Out of curioisity: did your pro 80s have a coiled or straight cable?

I say this because my hi2050 headband, like you experienced, is a very small and tight fit, while my (straight-cabled) pro 80 has a much larger headband. The earcup clamps are very clearly larger comparing the two. I believe its something they fixed on later models but have older ones floating around.

I had the coiled cable version. I actually got the gemini hsr1000 rebrand. I had no idea there were different models!

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #2,748 of 4,701
So something amazing has happened. I have had my HI 2050s for about a week now and my biggest problem was the lack of punch in the kicks. It was odd as it reproduced the bass line well but the kicks weren't nearly as powerful. Today out of boredom and the fact that I ordered both the Velour and other pads from the HM5 I decided to experiment with the stock pad and instead of putting it in the cap gap I put it completely around the lip, and voila the kicks seem to have appeared. Not sure if this is a psychological reaction or they have broken in somehow but these sound good now ... I was seriously considering either going with the Pro 80s or Creative Aurvana Live 1 or if I could find them for a bargain the AKG K545 (tried these at a store a really loved them). Others with the HI 2050, i suggest try this "fix" and get back to me if it helps with the kick on your tracks. Take care.

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #2,749 of 4,701
So after a ton of online research on account of the fact that I'm on a strictly budget-sized budget, I took a risk and ordered a pair of Pro80s. Why was it a risk? Because frankly, how can a pair of £34 headphones be any good? How could they be better than my 'much' (to me) more expensive AKG K271? It's gotta be internet hype, right?

Wrong.

DAMN, these headphones are good! How on Earth can they manufacture, market and distribute these for this price and make money? I have limited headphone experience, but these have to be one of the best cost/performance bargains out there. Sincerely, my thanks to every one of you on here who pointed me in their direction - I'm a very happy boy :)

Thoughts? With no burn-in, they just sound 'right' to me. Not 'Wow, that's clear!' or 'Oooh, that's warm!', just... 'right'. They get out of the way and let me enjoy my music the way I like it to sound. I've always enjoyed a V-scoop EQ, rolling off the treble for playback (as opposed to mixing) and that's what these deliver right out of the box. I have spent HOURS tweaking the EQ in Audirvana to get my AKGs sounding the way I want them to. I just turned it off, plugged in the Takstars and smiled - no tweaks required!

To my untrained ears, the bass is strong without being bass boost obnoxious by any means (maybe just a touch flabby?), the mids don't seem too recessed and the treble isn't too biting (something I struggle with on many sets). Remember, this is as per my taste, which I think is different from audiophile neutrality. Given that they are an enjoyable 'fun' listen, I wondered if the detail was lacking, but going back over my favourite test tracks showed otherwise. I can still pick up on the same little nuggets I look for. My analytical AKGs did expose more detail, but I just didn't enjoy them as an experience until I EQ'd quite a bit. For me, the telling fact is that rather than just listen to the key sections of these songs and moving on, I tended to listen to each track in full because I was enjoying the experience. And that for me is the endgame.

Soundstaging is decent rather than amazing, but you always have a clear idea of which direction the instruments are coming from. It could be wider/more spacious, but I'm not going to grumble. I mean, come on - these headphones cost less than some cushions or cables!

I have the dial on my amp lower than for my AKGs and about the same as my Sennheiser PX200s. I was surprised to find that they sound perfectly good straight out of my Samsung Galaxy S5, too. Given their size / look, I really can't see me taking them out of the house, but it's good to know I can use them elsewhere with no real impact on performance.

Niggles? Well, the design is total meh to me. Just... dull. Still, I didn't buy them to look flash. Construction seems solid enough, but I wonder about those cables going from the cups to the band. And the cups are *just* too small for my flapping lobes. They butt up against the cushions in a way that isn't uncomfortable, just ever so slightly distracting and I reposition them more often than I would like. Would the Brainwavz pads fix this?

I bought these as a stopgap until I could afford ATHM50x (told you I was on a budget), but TBH, I'm starting to wonder if I can't just skip that step and go straight to HD600/650 (or X2) - any comments/comparisons?

Overall, I have to say that I'm very impressed. I have nothing to really judge them against, but I can't imagine there's a better sounding option at this price and I would be very happy with this sound at £100. 

Thanks Head-Fi for turning me onto such a bargain :)

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #2,750 of 4,701
  So after a ton of online research on account of the fact that I'm on a strictly budget-sized budget, I took a risk and ordered a pair of Pro80s. Why was it a risk? Because frankly, how can a pair of £34 headphones be any good? How could they be better than my 'much' (to me) more expensive AKG K271? It's gotta be internet hype, right?

Wrong.

DAMN, these headphones are good! How on Earth can they manufacture, market and distribute these for this price and make money? I have limited headphone experience, but these have to be one of the best cost/performance bargains out there. Sincerely, my thanks to every one of you on here who pointed me in their direction - I'm a very happy boy :)

Thoughts? With no burn-in, they just sound 'right' to me. Not 'Wow, that's clear!' or 'Oooh, that's warm!', just... 'right'. They get out of the way and let me enjoy my music the way I like it to sound. I've always enjoyed a V-scoop EQ, rolling off the treble for playback (as opposed to mixing) and that's what these deliver right out of the box. I have spent HOURS tweaking the EQ in Audirvana to get my AKGs sounding the way I want them to. I just turned it off, plugged in the Takstars and smiled - no tweaks required!

To my untrained ears, the bass is strong without being bass boost obnoxious by any means (maybe just a touch flabby?), the mids don't seem too recessed and the treble isn't too biting (something I struggle with on many sets). Remember, this is as per my taste, which I think is different from audiophile neutrality. Given that they are an enjoyable 'fun' listen, I wondered if the detail was lacking, but going back over my favourite test tracks showed otherwise. I can still pick up on the same little nuggets I look for. My analytical AKGs did expose more detail, but I just didn't enjoy them as an experience until I EQ'd quite a bit. For me, the telling fact is that rather than just listen to the key sections of these songs and moving on, I tended to listen to each track in full because I was enjoying the experience. And that for me is the endgame.

Soundstaging is decent rather than amazing, but you always have a clear idea of which direction the instruments are coming from. It could be wider/more spacious, but I'm not going to grumble. I mean, come on - these headphones cost less than some cushions or cables!

I have the dial on my amp lower than for my AKGs and about the same as my Sennheiser PX200s. I was surprised to find that they sound perfectly good straight out of my Samsung Galaxy S5, too. Given their size / look, I really can't see me taking them out of the house, but it's good to know I can use them elsewhere with no real impact on performance.

Niggles? Well, the design is total meh to me. Just... dull. Still, I didn't buy them to look flash. Construction seems solid enough, but I wonder about those cables going from the cups to the band. And the cups are *just* too small for my flapping lobes. They butt up against the cushions in a way that isn't uncomfortable, just ever so slightly distracting and I reposition them more often than I would like. Would the Brainwavz pads fix this?

I bought these as a stopgap until I could afford ATHM50x (told you I was on a budget), but TBH, I'm starting to wonder if I can't just skip that step and go straight to HD600/650 (or X2) - any comments/comparisons?

Overall, I have to say that I'm very impressed. I have nothing to really judge them against, but I can't imagine there's a better sounding option at this price and I would be very happy with this sound at £100. 

Thanks Head-Fi for turning me onto such a bargain :)

Glad you're enjoying. You can skip the ATHM50x and move onto the next level or 2. IMO the Pro80 is better than the M50

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #2,753 of 4,701
@w00dman I am in the US, and bought through this amazon link http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B009PIQUB6/
I saw MP4Nation was selling them in the "more buying options" and snatched it, as they shipped from the US. I payed $52 shipped which is less than what they sell for on their site.

@BIgsteviet Comparing my HM5 velour to the 2050's velour pads, I'd say the HM5's are a tad bigger on the inside.

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #2,754 of 4,701
@w00dman I am in the US, and bought through this amazon link http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B009PIQUB6/
I saw MP4Nation was selling them in the "more buying options" and snatched it, as they shipped from the US. I payed $52 shipped which is less than what they sell for on their site.

Meaning they had already been imported in US and all customs duties had been payed?
Lucky you.

Yep, bought on ebay, shipped from China to the UK, no duty paid :) They came through described as earplugs, lol

Where is this world coming to? I thought it was England that invented Common law
There is no way in hell that anything moves unchecked past my Croatian customs.

TBH I don't mind too much paying duties, but the length of customs procedure (CHINA -> CROATIA travelling time is smaller than customs -> me),
and that f$#@&* postal service not even attempting to deliver the package to my home address, but instead dropping me the note "NOT FOUND AT HOME, YOU CAN PICK UP YOUR PACKAGE blabla"
:mad: :mad:

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #2,757 of 4,701
Yeah you can remove them but there are likely going to be a couple bigger holes on the grill where the plate was mounted. I took them off one set of grills and one of them had hokes that didn't line up with the holes already on the grill, so I made a custom grill.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back