Jan 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #2,716 of 4,701
  A photo from this thread.

Well mine is OK, but maybe you can be not that lucky 
atsmile.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #2,718 of 4,701

Well mine is OK, but maybe you can be not that lucky 
atsmile.gif

I wish I had your luck :frowning2:
I was able to bend it a little and it is not as bad as in the photo. lachlanlikesathing (youtuber) also had an alignment problem with his review pair.
I don't know about the HI2050 but they could have the same problem, similar head band. It doesn't bother me as long as I don't look at it so it is not really a problem.

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #2,721 of 4,701
  I wish I had your luck :frowning2:
I was able to bend it a little and it is not as bad as in the photo. lachlanlikesathing (youtuber) also had an alignment problem with his review pair.
I don't know about the HI2050 but they could have the same problem, similar head band. It doesn't bother me as long as I don't look at it so it is not really a problem.

That alignment problem is caused by the preloaded stainless steel headband. Not a huge issue as it self aligns when you put it on your head.

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #2,723 of 4,701
I think bending it back is a simple enough solution, no? I wouldn't consider this an issue at all.

It's preloaded steel, you can't bend it, it will always go back to it's original form. Well at least until the steel fails.

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #2,724 of 4,701
I think I've finally managed to address the issue of sibilance/peaks and (somewhat) light bass on the Taktsar HI 2050 :dt880smile:, thanks to the astroid mod on my Sennheiser HD239 and some nylon CD covers.
So, after removing the black foams in the 239 earpads to make them more bright and less bass bloated, an idea flashed through my mind: What if I insert them in the Takstar (which had the white felts put out about 3 weeks ago)?
I did that eventually, by sticking them on the magnet of the drivers using double sided tape. After that, I cut some oval pieces from the nylon CD covers, staple them together and then place them above the black felts covering the diaphragm protectors on each cup.
I A/B tested the headphone: 1. with the original white felts and 2. with the Sennheiser black foams/nylon covers in the same volume and here is the result:
- The annoying high peaks seem to get tamed down noticeably. I listen to Netsky's Come Alive and Pendulum's Crush, 2 DnB songs with very high energy in the upper range; and the drum and the guitars sound much less harsh. Same to Moonsorrow's Huuto, the distorted guitar now sound very pleasant, no more piercing in my ears. The peaks don't disappear completely though, if I turn the volume way up, it starts hurting again, but I never listen at that loud volume therefore it's not a big problem.
- Midrange stay mostly the same, may be a little darker (?).
- Bass: IMHO the Sennheiser foams have boosted the sub bass of this can very nicely. I can now here the "oohm" more prominent in some bass heavy songs. It might be because the high gets less pronounced though. It can not compete with my Beyerdynamic DT990 bass just yet, but still very enjoyable
- Soundtage: has been reduced to some degree. It sounds more "in my head" than before. I notice the black foams cover the holes on the cups as well, which may contribute to this. From semi open, one can call this "semi" close headphone, no? :D
Overall, despite the minor cons, I'm still very satisfied with my new modded Taktsar HI 2050 right now. It's the cheapest one among my four cans (Beyer DT 990 costs 4 times more, Grado Sr125i 3 times more, and Sennheiser HD 239 2 times more) but I find myself listening to it the second most (after the Beyer, but not by much).
Will try adding some images when I'm back home from work :p

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #2,725 of 4,701
Also have a look into the Goldring DR150. You can get them for $50 on Jaben. Not sure about the price at other places. The cans have great soundstage, better than the Takstars but theyre hard to find.

Just ordered a few days ago from Jaben but no communication from them, and no answers for my request either. Very strange!
Are they reliable? or just still partying out for the new year?
Will see......

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #2,726 of 4,701

Just ordered a few days ago from Jaben but no communication from them, and no answers for my request either. Very strange!
Are they reliable? or just still partying out for the new year?
Will see......

They're very reliable. They might be closed for the holiday period though. Just wait for their response.

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #2,729 of 4,701
I think I've finally managed to address the issue of sibilance/peaks and (somewhat) light bass on the Taktsar HI 2050
dt880smile.png
, thanks to the astroid mod on my Sennheiser HD239 and some nylon CD covers.
So, after removing the black foams in the 239 earpads to make them more bright and less bass bloated, an idea flashed through my mind: What if I insert them in the Takstar (which had the white felts put out about 3 weeks ago)?
I did that eventually, by sticking them on the magnet of the drivers using double sided tape. After that, I cut some oval pieces from the nylon CD covers, staple them together and then place them above the black felts covering the diaphragm protectors on each cup.
I A/B tested the headphone: 1. with the original white felts and 2. with the Sennheiser black foams/nylon covers in the same volume and here is the result:
- The annoying high peaks seem to get tamed down noticeably. I listen to Netsky's Come Alive and Pendulum's Crush, 2 DnB songs with very high energy in the upper range; and the drum and the guitars sound much less harsh. Same to Moonsorrow's Huuto, the distorted guitar now sound very pleasant, no more piercing in my ears. The peaks don't disappear completely though, if I turn the volume way up, it starts hurting again, but I never listen at that loud volume therefore it's not a big problem.
- Midrange stay mostly the same, may be a little darker (?).
- Bass: IMHO the Sennheiser foams have boosted the sub bass of this can very nicely. I can now here the "oohm" more prominent in some bass heavy songs. It might be because the high gets less pronounced though. It can not compete with my Beyerdynamic DT990 bass just yet, but still very enjoyable
- Soundtage: has been reduced to some degree. It sounds more "in my head" than before. I notice the black foams cover the holes on the cups as well, which may contribute to this. From semi open, one can call this "semi" close headphone, no?
biggrin.gif

Overall, despite the minor cons, I'm still very satisfied with my new modded Taktsar HI 2050 right now. It's the cheapest one among my four cans (Beyer DT 990 costs 4 times more, Grado Sr125i 3 times more, and Sennheiser HD 239 2 times more) but I find myself listening to it the second most (after the Beyer, but not by much).
Will try adding some images when I'm back home from work
tongue.gif

Pictures or it did not happen.....

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #2,730 of 4,701
  Only reason I'm really scared to remove that extra bit of material is the fear that it will tear trying to put it back on afterwards.  Guess I will just leave it for now.  When I get a chance I'll have to post a picture of the HM5 pads on the HyperX Cloud, the red pads look really sharp on it.

Ended up trimming the tiny bit of the rim off.  While there is less excess "bulge" where the lip slips on, unfortunately now the pads fit much looser.  Before it was impossible to twist them at all, now they twist without any real effort.  The edges also slip off easily, I'm hoping I didn't ruin them completely and that with regular use they will still work but I'm definitely wishing I didn't mess with them :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back