The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Mar 6, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #2,957 of 4,701
Not completely agree there, if you have headphones with a poor cable (like my recently modded Philips Uptowns) then you will hear a difference if you replace them with proper cabling.

The difference you hear is volume. When a cable isn't to "spec" then it cannot carry the same amount of current that a proper cable can. But the sound quality will never degrade just the gain.

Either way, I've looked at the original Pro 80 cable and it is on par with traditional CAT5 cable and is actually pretty Much identical to the ATH M50 cable.

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #2,959 of 4,701
  so you saying that changing pro 80 cable is usless to get a better sound?

I think the best is to save a few bucks, for an upgrade or another product if you want better sound.
IMO, the most important part is -> 

Headphone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  AMP >>>>>>>>>>> DAC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CABLE

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #2,960 of 4,701
The difference you hear is volume. When a cable isn't to "spec" then it cannot carry the same amount of current that a proper cable can. But the sound quality will never degrade just the gain.

Either way, I've looked at the original Pro 80 cable and it is on par with traditional CAT5 cable and is actually pretty Much identical to the ATH M50 cable.

Nope, because the cable in the uptowns also had a stupid little volume slider in it (with crappy PCB and channel imbalance) and was highly microphonic. Also, I'm highly sensitive to volume levels and I can guarantee you that I tested them to the same gain levels to A/B it (it was sighted and hence flawed, yes I know) and I did hear a better tonal balance.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just that it's not always that black and white :wink:

I'd say for the Takstars: yes. Perhaps a different sound, but not better. They already measure quite flat so not much improvement there. You might want to change the cable to make it detachable though.

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #2,961 of 4,701
Cable changes are all placebo. If you believe it then it does.

Yeah I don't believe replacing cables with expensive ones does anything to sound quality, if you have proper fuctioning cables. I just thought maybe the factory cable is so crappy that there is actually a difference. Thanks for the answer.

I might do it to make it detachable, though, I've read it's quite easy ^^

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #2,963 of 4,701
  Takstar Pro80 are for $51 now on aliexpress...cheapest till date(Without the box of course)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newest-Top-level-Hifi-Takstar-Pro80-Closed-Dynamic-stereo-monitoring-headphone-DJ-monitor-headset-straight-cable/2036425604.html

cheaper, tursted seller
http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-HSR-1000-Professional-Monitoring-Headphones/dp/B006Y2BI04/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425650891&sr=8-1&keywords=gemini+1000

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #2,965 of 4,701
  Nope, because the cable in the uptowns also had a stupid little volume slider in it (with crappy PCB and channel imbalance) and was highly microphonic. Also, I'm highly sensitive to volume levels and I can guarantee you that I tested them to the same gain levels to A/B it (it was sighted and hence flawed, yes I know) and I did hear a better tonal balance.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just that it's not always that black and white :wink:

I'd say for the Takstars: yes. Perhaps a different sound, but not better. They already measure quite flat so not much improvement there. You might want to change the cable to make it detachable though.

after recabling  about any headphone i can get my hands on with just about any type of wire i can get or afford
any difference is either an increase in gain or an expectation bias... i do it to make a more durable comfortable cable
today's molded connectors just don't last very long

keep in mind you're brain can be a real jerk about this stuff... expectation/conformation bias and placebo effect are very real

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #2,967 of 4,701
I just received my HM5 pads, even though I'm still almost a week away from receiving the Pro 80s. I'm using the pads on some old pair I have lying around and even if the pads are too big, the sound stage improved and the comfort is pretty nice :)

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #2,968 of 4,701
after recabling  about any headphone i can get my hands on with just about any type of wire i can get or afford
any difference is either an increase in gain or an expectation bias... i do it to make a more durable comfortable cable
today's molded connectors just don't last very long

keep in mind you're brain can be a real jerk about this stuff... expectation/conformation bias and placebo effect are very real

Ugh, tell me about it. My brain is now convincing me the bass is just fine on my takstar :p

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #2,970 of 4,701
How is the clamping pressure on the HI-2050? I wear glasses and this is a problem for me. 

Is there much ear space and depth in the cups?

Is the HI-2050 a good choice for movies?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back