The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared
Jan 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #166 of 615
Quote:

Oo ok got it thanks for the explanation! Also I was wondering if it was worth it to go for the UHA-6 II for another $80 or are the differences not that big enough.

Haven't heard the UHA-6 MKII, but Nick @ Leckerton Audio does say it shares a very similar topology as UHA-4 so I'll assume the amp section should sound pretty close. The big improvement will be from the DAC section in that case.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #167 of 615
Sounds great, I just want to find the best portable amp for me right now that would pair well with any IEM or headphone thrown at it. Is there any other recommendations under $300 that I should take a look at? Thanks again!

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #168 of 615
Quote:
Sounds great, I just want to find the best portable amp for me right now that would pair well with any IEM or headphone thrown at it. Is there any other recommendations under $300 that I should take a look at? Thanks again!

O2 of course, if you don't mind the size. Otherwise Tralucent Audio T1 is pretty good with IEM as well, reviewed here.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #169 of 615
Thanks for the excellent write up.
Went for the c421, it's unfortunate they stopped selling the ad8620s tho, got the opa2227 instead.
Also, I managed to pick up some EMI(very minor) so I don't think it's dead silent..
Mine are black editions tho.. perhaps the older ones were quieter?

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #170 of 615
Quote:
Thanks for the excellent write up.
Went for the c421, it's unfortunate they stopped selling the ad8620s tho, got the opa2227 instead.
Also, I managed to pick up some EMI(very minor) so I don't think it's dead silent..
Mine are black editions tho.. perhaps the older ones were quieter?

Well different cellphones, you might be able to pick up some EMI if the cellphone happens to push out a lot of them. It is however unusual for C421 to pick up EMI as the circuit is designed to resist EMI. It is however possible that the source itself is picking up EMI and pass it to the amp.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #171 of 615
Thank you ClisOS for sharing so much experience.
etysmile.gif

I see the Leckerton UHA-4 winning a very high score in your list.
Now I'm really interested in its upgrade version UHA-6S MKii. How about your impression(and scores) of this amp? If you add it to the ranking list(ignore the price), will it win the JDSLabsO2?

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #172 of 615
I never listened to UHA-6 MKII before, so I don't know. However, Nick @ Leckerton has said it before that the amp sections between the two amps are very similar so I'll venture a guess that UHA-6 MKII should be equally good or better, but probably not vastly. The major upgrade you will get going from UHA-4 to UHA-6 MKII will likely be the upgraded DAC section.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #173 of 615
Hi ClieOS

thank you very much for the reply at this link 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620339/fiio-flagship-portable-amp-mont-blanc-e12-discussing-thread-the-pre-order-unit-arrives/1170#post_9153626

From what I understand the E12 is not exactly what I'm looking for.   I rarely use headphones full size high-impedance and when I do, not in ' portable 'situation.

From what I've read to me would be more suitable for a Headphone Amplifier or USB DAC with portable amp.

I had gotten interested in E12 to the improvement of the quality of an amp Fijo readily available in Italy.

Currently the only portable amp that I have is the Fijo E6 but somehow degrades the signal of the Sony X series Dap which at moment I prefer.

The only useful usage of E6 is coupled to my Cowon J3 to minimize roll off bass.

I'm looking for a USB DAC or portable amli with better quality of the Fijo E17 (comparable as amp to E11) and that not suffer of  roll off bass also with IEM.

I read of UHA-4 but is Temporarily sold out and the  c421 is OUT OF STOCK.

I didn't hurry up and as far as possible take something valid

That said, what you recommend me?

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #174 of 615
Quote:
I read of UHA-4 but is Temporarily sold out and the  c421 is OUT OF STOCK.

I really don't have other amp to recommend you at that price point of the same quality as those two. You might want to email Leckerton Audio and ask them when will the UHA-4 be restocked, or wait another month for the new JDS Labs C5 to make it to the market.

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #176 of 615
Quote:

I really don't have other amp to recommend you at that price point of the same quality as those two. You might want to email Leckerton Audio and ask them when will the UHA-4 be restocked, or wait another month for the new JDS Labs C5 to make it to the market.

Thanks, always very friendly.
smile.gif

I'm going to tell me everything that i find on C5.

Whereas i cant do without a sub bass fast and full-bodied toward which of the two should i myself? 

Quote:

Those are discontinued and superseded by their latest amp's. There is a guy selling now the UHA-4 at the "amp for sale" so you may want to check it out.

Thanks .... but i can't find it. 
redface.gif

Could you kindly tell me the link? 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #177 of 615
Quote:
Thanks .... but i can't find it. 
redface.gif

Could you kindly tell me the link? 
rolleyes.gif

Here are some C421s: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/649854/jds-labs-c421-black-edition-2227-opamp-custom-low-profile-toxic-silver-plated-copper-lod-for-sale

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650816/fs-jdslabs-c421-black-edition-opa2227-version-as-new-150-eur-130-gbp

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #179 of 615
Quote:

Those are discontinued and superseded by their latest amp's. There is a guy selling now the UHA-4 at the "amp for sale" so you may want to check it out.

True for C421, but not for UHA-4. Nick @ Leckerton Audio already stated that the UHA-4 and UHA-6 MK2 share similar topology over their amp section so even though UHA-6 MK2 is a better amp, it isn't meant to supersede UHA-4. One of simply designed to be full featured while the other is optimized for portability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back