The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared
Aug 2, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #31 of 615
Aug 2, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #32 of 615
Very cool!  I'm happy to own the #3 on your list, but I'm still very curious to one day hear the two tied for #2.  Had I known about the UHA-4 when I ordered my C421, I would have had an even more difficult decision.

PS speaking of synnergy and another amp/dac that's in the in middle of your list, I discovered recently that the D-Zero has very good synnergy when used as a DAC and amp together, with the pair of M-Audio Q40's I keep at work.  I've never heard them sound so good!

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #36 of 615
Thanks for the comments, guys. I added another afterthought to clarify how I classify them into top, second, and entry tier.

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #37 of 615
Very helpful comparison, thanks for taking the time to write it!

ClieOS if you don't mind me asking, how well does the iBasso T5 match up with the RE262? Or would I be much better off by going straight for Stepdance + RE262? I'm wondering if there are any significant difference between these two setups, SQ wise.

Regards,
Kaizer

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #38 of 615
The thing about active balanced ground seem to be their ability to pair well with just about any headphone, even though they might not be the absolute best in synergy. That being said, T5 does go well with RE262. But I will say Stepdance is that much better than T5 for overall improvement that I think it is worth paying the extra.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #40 of 615
Aug 16, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #41 of 615
Good job on making this! i want to replace my Fiio E6(paired up with Sansa Clip Zip + RE262), and it looks like the O2 would be the best of the bunch based on sound quality alone but then again I also want something that is portable...decisions decisions decisions..... will you be updating this list with the upcoming Fiio E12? And thanks again for this awesome shootout of amps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #42 of 615
As long as E12 is priced as expected (under $200), it will be added to the list.

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #43 of 615
That will be awesome [the E12 review].
I've been trying to do my own research to form my own opinion for an amp to share between my different headphones ranging from an ER*6i to an AKG Q701, mostly because people throw out all kind of suggestions for the Q.
I'm leery about spending +200 on a tube/solid-state amp when I already felt so pleased just swapping my AD700 for the Q701 in my current portable setup (iPod > L11 > E5 > headphone), from what I understand great synergy comes from a good supply of current. I would like an O2, but obviously a cheaper, more portable than transportable option is preferred. Your reviews are the only ones I've seen where the output resistance is measured, so I'm happy narrowing my search to your results.
Though Fred_Fred_2004's amp reviewed here is attractive (along with the O2), the FiiO E11 just sounds like the all-around most transparent while being portable (and relatively inexpensive, considering the performance difference with going even all-out). I'm happy waiting to read if the E12 is a compelling upgrade.

Thanks again so much for your intense effort, you are like the one-man headphone equivalent to DPReview, a camera review site that recently gained sponsorship from Amazon.

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #44 of 615
...Your reviews are the only ones I've seen where the output resistance is measured, so I'm happy narrowing my search to your results.

Thanks again so much for your intense effort, you are like the one-man headphone equivalent to DPReview, a camera review site that recently gained sponsorship from Amazon.

If I were using full size most of the time, I am probably not going to bother with output impedance that much. But given I am pretty dedicated IEM user and how popular IEM has became, I just thought that will be an useful information for consideration... Anyway, where can I get a sponsorship from Amazon? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back