The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared
Apr 10, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #436 of 615

Hi ClieOS, I am curious about how the original E12 compares in terms of transparency and soundstage to the E12DIY when it is fitted with the same OPA1611 and LME49600 chips as the original E12. Does the more simplified circuitry of the E12DIY improve the transparency/soundstage if using the two same chips mentioned? Is the improvement substantial? Thanks!

My E12 is the very first batch with LME49710 instead of the later OPA1611, so I can't give you a direct comparison. But I am comfortable to say that given the audible difference between my E12 and E12DIY, I have no doubt the E12DIY will be better even with the same opamp+buffer setup, and OPA1611+LME49600 is not even the most transparent or widest soundstage of opamp+buffer you can use on E12DIY.

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #437 of 615

My E12 is the very first batch with LME49710 instead of the later OPA1611, so I can't give you a direct comparison. But I am comfortable to say that given the audible difference between my E12 and E12DIY, I have no doubt the E12DIY will be better even with the same opamp+buffer setup, and OPA1611+LME49600 is not even the most transparent or widest soundstage of opamp+buffer you can use on E12DIY.

I see. Among the stock opamp & buffer chips, which combination(s) would you say have more transparency/better soundstage? I have zero experience in rolling opamps/buffers but I'm curious and would like to learn more about the different chips available, so I plan to get a E12DIY from tmall. With shipping and all, it would come to around 250USD, do you think it'll be a better investment than a normal E12 at that price? I plan to use the portable amp with my X3 and either an X5 or DX90 which I plan to purchase after comparing them in the future.

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #438 of 615
  I see. Among the stock opamp & buffer chips, which combination(s) would you say have more transparency/better soundstage? I have zero experience in rolling opamps/buffers but I'm curious and would like to learn more about the different chips available, so I plan to get a E12DIY from tmall. With shipping and all, it would come to around 250USD, do you think it'll be a better investment than a normal E12 at that price? I plan to use the portable amp with my X3 and either an X5 or DX90 which I plan to purchase after comparing them in the future.

Without comparing to E12, I think E12DIY is well worth the money as it can compete head-to-head for some of the 'big name' $300~$500 portable amps without a problem. Of course E12 by itself is quite a bit cheaper - then again, E12 is also pretty high in value-for-money just as well. Personally, I see no problem dropping anything less than $300 for E12DIY. If it is over $300, I think the seller might be a bit greedy.

The most transparent opamp+buffer I have heard on the E12DIY will be the NJM5532 + HA-5002, but both are no stock. For stock combo, I think OPA1611+LME49600 (neutral but tilt to warm) or AD797+LME49600 (neutral but tilt to bright) are both good starter. Just play around and find what sounds best to you.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #440 of 615
anyone aware of the DACs used in these players?  I am very partial to the 9018 DAC.....  if none of these has a 9018 then could someone suggest a portable amp./dac that uses it? Thanks.

Don't know any portable amp/DAC that has ES9018. It is a desktop class chip that is usually too power hungry to be used on portable amp, not mention quite an expensive chip to implement. I would think you are looking more like $500~1K level instead of a $200 amp, if such device exists.

Jun 1, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #442 of 615
I just got the AKG K612 Pros and I'm a little underwhelmed by how well my C&C BH powers them. I have the gain turned up, and I'm running it full out sometimes. What would you consider as the best options to drive them? Their specs are a little different from the K70x series for they are 120 ohm, 101 dB SPL/V, and I have heard people describe them as even a little more difficult than some of the K70x series headphones.

E12 seems like it should do the job. O2 is not portable enough for me. What about JDS C5? Your review gave it four stars for power, but perhaps it's able to handle the load of the K612s better than the C&C BH? If so, that's probably what I would go for and then spring for the C5D (might as well pay $50 for the DAC).

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #443 of 615
I just got the AKG K612 Pros and I'm a little underwhelmed by how well my C&C BH powers them. I have the gain turned up, and I'm running it full out sometimes. What would you consider as the best options to drive them? Their specs are a little different from the K70x series for they are 120 ohm, 101 dB SPL/V, and I have heard people describe them as even a little more difficult than some of the K70x series headphones.

E12 seems like it should do the job. O2 is not portable enough for me. What about JDS C5? Your review gave it four stars for power, but perhaps it's able to handle the load of the K612s better than the C&C BH? If so, that's probably what I would go for and then spring for the C5D (might as well pay $50 for the DAC).

In this review, power is measured mainly on current output (as all of them should have more than enough voltage on IEM / earphone), not voltage gain / max volume, which is probably what you're looking for with the AKG. C5 should have more than enough voltage swing for you, as you don't need that much current than you need voltage. I'll say both C5 / C5D are fairly safe choice.

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #444 of 615
In this review, power is measured mainly on current output (as all of them should have more than enough voltage on IEM / earphone), not voltage gain / max volume, which is probably what you're looking for with the AKG. C5 should have more than enough voltage swing for you, as you don't need that much current than you need voltage. I'll say both C5 / C5D are fairly safe choice.

Thanks! That's what I was hoping :)

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #445 of 615
Too bad about not being able to get a decent DAC in a portable (Even so called high end desktop computers cards always sound a bit dark to me no matter which supporting opamps you choose, because the DAC is not feeding a decent signal to the opamps or has its own varied version of the signal or maybe crap components are being used to surround the DAC and opamps).  Maybe it just takes to much power to decode and support a DAC signal properly in a portable. Opamps swapping, decent headphones and amps will go lacking without a decent DAC outputting. Might as well plug your phones into a newer DVD/BR player.

Maybe in time shrinkage will help portables match little bricks like in these specs. (still using a version of Vinyl Envy tech) AUDIOTRAK DR.DAC3 24/192 Asynch USB   An example of decent high end sound but not in a portable.

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #446 of 615
I am thinking of getting either the e18 or an e11 for my iPod touch 5g. If i understand correctly from other threads, I should be able to run ipod> Lightning cck>usb>e18 and use the e18 with my ipod. Only thing im wondering is, which would leave my music sounding less colored? I prefer to buy my headphones/iem according to the sound I want, so would like whatever I get to change my music the least.

How would it sound with the e18 vs an e11? I've only ever used a fiio e5, so not a lot of experience with portable amps/DACs. And I am ready for something better.

I partly figured the e18 would be good to consider bc it would be nice to have the DAC for my pc listening. Even though most of my listening is done on the go. But main concern is the cleanest portable audio I can get for my money.

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #447 of 615
Seems like you already have your answer figured out. I have no experience with iTouch and therefore really can't tell you much about how it compares to E18, but I can say that E18 is better sounding than E11 so at least you will get the better amp of the two.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #448 of 615
From what I had read around here I had assumed the e18 was better, but feel better hearing it from someone that knows. Been lurking and researching the forums for a little while now. These posts by you are great, so helpful to have all your great reviews and then these sub $100 and $200 comparisons are just amazing. Thank you

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #450 of 615
ClieOS, you mention the E18, glad to hear it has a better amp than the E11 and E17, do you think you'll add a formal review of the E18?

Like this? http://www.head-fi.org/t/685414/preview-fiio-e18-kunlun-surprise-surprise

Will add this to the list sometime. I guess it does need some update for a few more amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back