The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared
Aug 31, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #376 of 615
Quote:

Don't have any 600 ohm to test it with, but I would think it might not have the power to drive 600ohm properly consider it doesn't have a lot of gain (more important) or current (less important). Since it is on its way back to JDS, you might want to ask John if there is room to increase the gain or not.

update: just checked Xnor's chart here using DT770-600 as a model (they have similar spec), and the C5 should be okay.

I might try and see if I can't resell the C5 and my AKG K550 [since both where to be used together] and attempt to find a used iBasso PB2. I'm getting an HM 801 as well, so my next question [and it's TOTALLY out of the budget for this thread sry] is how does thebalanced amp card for the 801 work? DO i need a special interconnector to connect it to something like the iBasso PB2 

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #377 of 615
Quote:
I might try and see if I can't resell the C5 and my AKG K550 [since both where to be used together] and attempt to find a used iBasso PB2. I'm getting an HM 801 as well, so my next question [and it's TOTALLY out of the budget for this thread sry] is how does thebalanced amp card for the 801 work? DO i need a special interconnector to connect it to something like the iBasso PB2 

I think you can totally skip the balanced amp card on HM801 and just use the line-out to feed the PB2. First, using the balanced amp card as source is double amping. Second, the balanced amp card uses the SE signal from the line-out as well. Since PB2 already accept SE input, why not just leave the balanced amp card out and go straight to the source? In effect, you are using the PB2 as an balanced amp card, and save on all the messy connection that is not necessary in the first place.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #378 of 615
Quote:

I think you can totally skip the balanced amp card on HM801 and just use the line-out to feed the PB2. First, using the balanced amp card as source is double amping. Second, the balanced amp card uses the SE signal from the line-out as well. Since PB2 already accept SE input, why not just leave the balanced amp card out and go straight to the source? In effect, you are using the PB2 as an balanced amp card, and save on all the messy connection that is not necessary in the first place.

So... does the PB2 take the SE from a Line out and... like Balance it :O [if so that would be like OMG totally cool] 

Still if the PB2 can take a SE unalanced signal and balance it that would be very neat, although I doubt that. Either way, good point and a money save on my end! Thanks CleiOs.

I just need to sell off my old amp and Headphones so I can try it out! [I wonder how it would sound compared to my Matrix M stage as well :O] As I could get really wacky and sell off that and my oDac [which I plan to do anyways] and see how that works 

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #379 of 615
Well, you need to ask someone who own a PB2 to confirm that it will take SE signal and balance it. I don't own one or play with one before to tell you anything useful.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #380 of 615
Quote:
Well, you need to ask someone who own a PB2 to confirm that it will take SE signal and balance it. I don't own one or play with one before to tell you anything useful.

hmm good point, although I'd assume it wont as the DB2 is the portable dac counter part to it

while I'm on that subject... did I not recall people used to go around with Portable Dacs hooked up to their DAPs? You know, buys using the good ole Triple Stack Portable set up 

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #382 of 615
Holy crap Mshenay, you climbed the tree fast from when I met you on the Bravo thread! Have you been reviewing these things you got along the way?

Kinda, I've yet to review my Db1 and Pb1, I'mm most likely do it tommorow, I've reviewed all my cans except the Sound Magic Hp 100, which I will do Friday and what not 

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #383 of 615
I am searching for a portable amp that can be powered/charged, if possible by USB while listening and sounds at least as good with similar sound signature as iBasso T5 that I can use wih ODAC. O2 is too neutral.

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #384 of 615
  I am searching for a portable amp that can be powered/charged, if possible by USB while listening and sounds at least as good with similar sound signature as iBasso T5 that I can use wih ODAC. O2 is too neutral.

Isn't T5 already fits all those description?

Anyway, I would recommend Meier Audio stepdance / 2stepdance / quickdance, which partially fit you need. It doesn't charge the 9V battery nor powered by USB, but it is capable of being powered by a wall adapter, and has a similar but better sound when compared to T5.

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #385 of 615
I'm sorry I'm a complete rookie to this so here Is my rookie question. Just bought sennheiser over ear momentums. With iPhone 4S as a source are any of these port amps better suited to my setup and why. . I would upgrade to an iPod if that would help SQ. . ( i know Probably a different forum) Thanks for your expert opinions in advance

Sep 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #386 of 615

Isn't T5 already fits all those description?

Anyway, I would recommend Meier Audio stepdance / 2stepdance / quickdance, which partially fit you need. It doesn't charge the 9V battery nor powered by USB, but it is capable of being powered by a wall adapter, and has a similar but better sound when compared to T5.

Yes, I was thinking about that as well. T5 cannot be charged while listening. I already have a Corda move, the amp sounds similar and can be powered with a wall adapter, just need to look for the right adapter.
My next must-buy will be a 2stepdance, it's still available with a discount.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #387 of 615
I'm sorry I'm a complete rookie to this so here Is my rookie question. Just bought sennheiser over ear momentums. With iPhone 4S as a source are any of these port amps better suited to my setup and why. . I would upgrade to an iPod if that would help SQ. . ( i know Probably a different forum) Thanks for your expert opinions in advance

Last I checked, Momentum sounds perfectly fine out of any iDevice. I really don't see a need of portable amp for it.

Yes, I was thinking about that as well. T5 cannot be charged while listening. I already have a Corda move, the amp sounds similar and can be powered with a wall adapter, just need to look for the right adapter.
My next must-buy will be a 2stepdance, it's still available with a discount.

Nonsense. I was listening to T5 while charging it at the same time last night when I was typing that replay to you.

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #388 of 615

Last I checked, Momentum sounds perfectly fine out of any iDevice. I really don't see a need of portable amp for it.

Nonsense. I was listening to T5 while charging it at the same time last night when I was typing that replay to you.

Then you must have a different type of iBasso T5, because I cannot listen when it is charging.
Now I am using a Meier Corda Move, it sounds a bit brighter then T5, the Move has AD8610 single channel opamps.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #389 of 615

Then you must have a different type of iBasso T5, because I cannot listen when it is charging.
Now I am using a Meier Corda Move, it sounds a bit brighter then T5, the Move has AD8610 single channel opamps.

Well, in that case I will strong suspect you have a defected T5. My T5 is the first batch, IIRC, and I don't recall they ever have a reversion (*there is however an Japanese version under different name). For all I can remember, iBasso never says anything about T5 can not be used while charging. In fact, I can't remember any iBasso's portable amp that can't be used when recharging.

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #390 of 615

Well, in that case I will strong suspect you have a defected T5. My T5 is the first batch, IIRC, and I don't recall they ever have a reversion (*there is however an Japanese version under different name). For all I can remember, iBasso never says anything about T5 can not be used while charging. In fact, I can't remember any iBasso's portable amp that can't be used when recharging.

It works fine but in your review you wrote about a charging LED. Mine has a RED led while charging and a white led while it's on. The led does not become green when charging is complete.
I will contact iBasso about it, I figured it was just imposible to charge while listening. It is heavely scratched as well after all these years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back