The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #24,032 of 24,807
Quote:

There's a 4040 II set on Audiogon at the moment for a decent price.  There is also.. (ahem)  a 006t and 404LE in the classifieds.

Sadly for me the Lambda Sig./ SRM-T1 is so highly rated as that was my first set and I sold it to "upgrade" but never really found an "upgrade" in the Lambda models yet.
I am still interested in the LNS though..  How does it compare to the Lambda Sig.?

But... I am excited to say I have an 007 Mk1 inbound..  Happy day.    

Yea, I did see your listing. XD it's a bit pricy for my budget. And of course, if I don't sell my 2050, I'd have no funds. But thanks for the heads up. 

Do you plan on going back to the Lambda Sigs? I'm too cautious of potential "permanent" channel imbalance due to age, so I probably won't go that path.

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #24,033 of 24,807
Now that I have the 007mk1 inbound I will likely end there.  Paired with the SRM-007Tii, I need to work on the front end now.

Still though, the Lambda Signatures were one of the nicest sounding headphones I've heard, but only with selected music.  With chamber music, baroque pieces or female vocals, they are so smooth.  They don't fare well with large scale pieces like orchestral music or electronic music.  They get muddied in the bottom end and don't have much bass anyway and if memory serves, they can get a little sharp in the upper mids(?) sometimes but like I said, in their element I much preferred them to the 507s.
Right now I have the 404LE and 507 and I like the extra space in the 507, the 404LE being more intimate, and I like the extra detail over the 404LE but overall, I'm not sure that I don't prefer the 404LE.  I think it's one of those audiophile things.   Have you ever heard a system that is supposedly hyper-detailed but feels like a drill in the forehead?
The 507s are "more interesting" but a little less musical.

PS..  My Signatures were from the 80's, bought from the estate of the only owner and they had no imbalance, but I guess that's what the split volume knob is for.. eh?

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #24,034 of 24,807
Quote:
Now that I have the 007mk1 inbound I will likely end there.  Paired with the SRM-007Tii, I need to work on the front end now.

Still though, the Lambda Signatures were one of the nicest sounding headphones I've heard, but only with selected music.  With chamber music, baroque pieces or female vocals, they are so smooth.  They don't fare well with large scale pieces like orchestral music or electronic music.  They get muddied in the bottom end and don't have much bass anyway and if memory serves, they can get a little sharp in the upper mids(?) sometimes but like I said, in their element I much preferred them to the 507s.
Right now I have the 404LE and 507 and I like the extra space in the 507, the 404LE being more intimate, and I like the extra detail over the 404LE but overall, I'm not sure that I don't prefer the 404LE.  I think it's one of those audiophile things.   Have you ever heard a system that is supposedly hyper-detailed but feels like a drill in the forehead?
The 507s are "more interesting" but a little less musical.

PS..  My Signatures were from the 80's, bought from the estate of the only owner and they had no imbalance, but I guess that's what the split volume knob is for.. eh?

After reading numerous on the models. I've only made myself more and more confused.

Some say the 303=404, then does that mean the 307=407?

Many also say that the 407+Pads=507

And then I have no idea how the 404LE fits into this equation. I've heard that the 404Le=404+pads...

I don't think I've heard the 202/7s sounding like anything in the lineup though.

and I'll just skip all the vintage Staxes, which probably don't work well for my music.

Can anyone help clarify? Or direct me in a good direction?

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #24,037 of 24,807
Quote:
Why are the 407/307/507 so low on the list?

Do you also have a list for amps?

Because the 507/ 307 and 407 are just plain bad compared to the old stuff. the 407 is a bit more enjoyable out of the bunch. The 507 is sterile bright when called for and has a bloated low-end, as if the bass is overpowering over the mids. You won't hear Spritzer or any other long time posters here that have owned or heard most of them ever recommending the 507 over anything old.
Quote:
Here are my owned Stax amp list with the Lambdas:

1. Stax SRM-T1 or Stax SRM-T1S
2. Stax SRM-323S
3. Stax SRM-1 MK2 Pro (C-Version)
4. Stax SRM-006t
5. Stax SRM-313 or 323A
6. Stax SRM-212
7. Stax SRM-252II

I personally found the SR-307 a little bit to aggressive but with a good bass impact. The SR-507 wasn´t neutral width good highs and good bass.

Funny how you would rate the 006 so down and the T1 on the top. The 006 is almost identical to the original T1. The 323S and 323A are almost virtually the same from what I've gathered, so it doesn't make sense to group the 323A with the 313 which the 313 is similar to the Stax basic amps. 

Quote:
How about the SR-4004732 Signature Pro LE Nova Classic MKIII with the SRM-2507S MKII Kevin Gilmore Blue Hawaii?

Sounds like IpodPJ's version of all Lambda's combined lol.

Quote:
After reading numerous on the models. I've only made myself more and more confused.

Some say the 303=404, then does that mean the 307=407?

Many also say that the 407+Pads=507

And then I have no idea how the 404LE fits into this equation. I've heard that the 404Le=404+pads...

I don't think I've heard the 202/7s sounding like anything in the lineup though.

and I'll just skip all the vintage Staxes, which probably don't work well for my music.

Can anyone help clarify? Or direct me in a good direction?

303 and 404 Sig's are the same thing except different colour and better cables on the Sig's. 404LE is a different beast altogether compared to the 404 Sig. It is a 404 Sig but improved. 

Some have reported that 407 have the same drivers as the 507 just different housing and pads, so if you swap the pads on the 407 for 507 you have the 507's sound. If you're going to skip out on the vintage Lambda's you may as well skip out on the whole Lambda range and look else where as they all sound similar in one way or another.

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #24,038 of 24,807
Quote:
Funny how you would rate the 006 so down and the T1 on the top. The 006 is almost identical to the original T1. The 323S and 323A are almost virtually the same from what I've gathered, so it doesn't make sense to group the 323A with the 313 which the 313 is similar to the Stax basic amps.

I prefer the higher amplification of 60 dB vs. 54 dB with the T1/T1S. There are 2 models of T1 the newer is much closer to 006t but i think the T1 is for me better. The 313 has also 2 different versions the newer (two pro outputs) is closer to 323A but with 60 dB amplification. The 323S is based on the layout of 323A but it has 60 dB amplification and has in my opion a little other sounding, a liitle more detail. The SRM-212 has also 60 dB vs. 54dB from the SRM-252A

SRM-T1 old Version:

SRM-T1 newer Version:

SRM-T1S:

SRM-006t:

SRM- 313 old version:

SRM-313 newer Version:

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #24,039 of 24,807
Quote:
How about the SR-4004732 Signature Pro LE Nova Classic MKIII with the SRM-2507S MKII Kevin Gilmore Blue Hawaii?

Don't forget to roll the tubes and make sure you have the correct American transformer...

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #24,040 of 24,807
Quote:
SRM-006t:

SRM- 313 old version:

Very different to the internals of the 006t and the 313 I had while back.

Here's a little point of reference for anyone interested.

Quote: Kevin Gilmore
The 727 is a local feedback version of the 717. The 727 has a current source, the 717 has a resistor. Otherwise virtually identical.
The 727 runs the output stage at higher power.

The kgss and the 717 are similar amplifiers. (4 stage amplifiers)

The kgsshv and the 727 are similar amplifiers except the kgsshv uses global feedback. (4 stage amplifiers)

If people want it, the next revision of the kgsshv boards will have the local/global feedback option.

Personally i like the sound of the global feedback version better.

The 313 and 323 are 3 stage amplifiers. Same or similar to all the transportables (srmXh,srm151,srm252)

There are the 2 ac coupled single power supply amps, sr-001 and srm300

the srm-t1, t1s and 006t are virtually identical. (solid state/tube hybrid)

the 007 has twice the number of output tubes and runs the output stage at twice the power. (solid state/tube hybrid)

The T2 is a tube/solid state/tube hybrid.

The BH and BHSE are essentially the T2 output stage with the kgss input stage configured for 800 volts.

Quote: Spritzer
First SRA1-8 amps were all classic tube units of varying complexity made in the 60's. 

SRA-3S was the first deviation from this with a transistor front end and AC coupled tube output stage.  Preamp and phono amp on plug in cards similar to the old ISA units used in PC's. 

SRA-10S/12S were the first SS amps with a push pull front end and AC coupled outputstage.  Run fully in Class A they get stinking hot and feature a nice regulated PSU for the low voltage circuit and a stacked PSU for the +640VDC B+. Similar plug in system as on the SRA-3S but now everything except the basic PSU is on plug in cards and the build quality is far better. 

SRD-X was the first portable Stax amp and features an automotive chip amp driving a pair of transformers.  Think Darkstar but with much better specs done in 1979.... 

SRM-1 Mk1 was pretty much the same circuit as the SRA-12S but turned on its head.  Similar AC coupled output stage.  I recently refurbished one of these and it is a nice little amp but the SRA-12S is better over all. 

SRM-1 Mk2 is where things get tricky since there are so many variations of it.  The first ones were some weird Mk1/Mk2 hybrid though fully DC coupled but later units are much more similar to the current crop of Stax amps like the 313.  Now the amps are fully balanced from input to output though most only have RCA inputs. 

SRA-14S is pretty much the SRM-1 Mk2 circuit but turned on its head.  Better parts and some tweaks but most of the price difference is spent on the preamp capability. 

SRM-3 is just a SRM-Xh with a full size power supply.  It even uses the same circuit boards. 

SRM-600LTD is the same basic circuit as the T1/006t but modified to take the ECC99 tube. 

Jul 28, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #24,041 of 24,807
Defon- There are differences  between  the 717 and the 727 in that local feedback/stability caps [the small brown units on each channel board] The 727 does not have those. In my second last post on the   717/727 . I said I converted the two 150K feedback resistors -BACK to the original 717 position and cut away the LOCAL feedback from them thus allowing global feedback [input to output]. I did not need to re- instate any of those small brown stability/comp caps as the 727 is STABLE without them That is an added bonus as ALL feedback  caps affect the fidelity of a good amp[The secret is a very good design engineer who designs an amp with NO compensation caps]. That means he has spent time designing a "perfect" layout of components and he has used the best  active/non-active components you can buy. And your RIGHT! global feedback is better especially in the 727. The Japanese  designers were only "bowing down" to perceived attention that NO feedback was receiving in the UK and NO I don't go along with that theory and neither did JLH. Hope this helps. 

Jul 28, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #24,043 of 24,807
Quote:

Still though, the Lambda Signatures were one of the nicest sounding headphones I've heard, but only with selected music.  With chamber music, baroque pieces or female vocals, they are so smooth.  They don't fare well with large scale pieces like orchestral music or electronic music.  They get muddied in the bottom end and don't have much bass anyway and if memory serves, they can get a little sharp in the upper mids(?) 

They do indeed shine.. When they shine! Would like to add they aren't half bad with acoustic. Muddied you say? That must be in comparison to other 'stats or flagships, cuz then my HE-500 is a mud-pool. I can tell you they are indeed forward in the upper mids (slightly hot), and they can indeed be a bit edgy as well. Which amp did you use back then?

On another note, can it really be true that NO ONE in this thread knows how the srm-007 compares to the srm-006/srm-t1? I'd say that is a pretty obvious and interesting comparison.

EDIT: Ohh no! I have the newer t1 version

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #24,044 of 24,807

Seriously.
YOU MUST HAVE LEATHER EAR DRUMS! :mad:
That system is crap.
Try the Super Custom Special Edition version of the Kevin Gilmore Deep Blue Hawaii Uber Energizer with Titanium output cap upgrade.
Trust me on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back