The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #24,046 of 24,807
No no no and No.

The KGSSHV is Kevin Gilmores Super Sexy High Voltage amplifier. Comes with a red lipstick kiss from KG himself on the case work with every purchase. 

Guys, you can argue with me all you want!
But if you haven't heard that system, then you don't have an opinion! :mad:

BTW, the caps must be cryogenically treated first.
If you can't afford those output caps you can also use genetically modified organic output caps, the modified DNA version.

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #24,047 of 24,807
The new KGSSHVT2 with teflon valve bases, titanium valve covers, silvered mica + oil filled teflon+silver caps, global/local/sublocal feedback, ccshev stabilised power supply, rubidium doped xicon resistors, unobtanium plated gold contacts in pure medical grade teflon output sockets, triple delrin reinforced polyglass pc boards, tritrium doped grids in nos mullard JAN valves,bifilar wound semi-toroidal transformers with grain oriented sintered ceramic coated cobalt steel core with 0.00023 flux gap housed in a potted under vacuum process with double thickness mu-metal Faraday cage, wired in 99.99999% pure silver wire in electron depleted teflon coating.

Other interesting innovations are subject to government restricted black-box procedures.

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #24,049 of 24,807
Quote:
gilency posted QUOTE: 'What the heck is a KGSSHV-DX ?'
OMG! Figured he'd say sumpin like that.

For those who don't know, at another forum a group buy just finished that included
a newly designed mini board set for the KGSSHV.
It stands to reason that someone would coin the term 'DX' for this smaller build.
I'm sure that HeadAmp ain't got nuttin 2do wid it.

The working title for those boards is HVk, the k standing for kompakt.  They are not only far smaller but also use new easy to source parts, a global/local feedback option and a servo which keeps the output DC offset in check.  Not really needed but we rarely shy away from overkill... 
redface.gif

I just finished the first of these amps yesterday so I'll post pics soon.  Despite being so cramped the new boards are easier to build and make chassis selection much easier.  

While on the subject of the KGSSHV, what's better than a single HV?  Well two of them naturally....
biggrin.gif

This is the end result of an idiot who wanted to sell HV's for a profit but couldn't even solder.  It all went up in flames (literally) so months later he begged us to buy his remaining parts.  We ended up buying it all for too much money just to make sure he wouldn't sell those firehazards to unsuspecting people.  I took the mostly populated boards that made up two amps and Kevin took a "finished" amp to rework and make it all safe to use.   

Quote:
I still really like the HD650 for rock music.

Also, what is this?

That's actually a cryo treated 507 but since cryo does screw-all it's a bit suspect.  The SR-SC1 was nice but sounds exactly the same as the SR-404LE.  Not a coincidence in my book... 

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #24,050 of 24,807
About amps, I had a slight noise in the 006t volume control and opened it to check. Decided to read the bias as well, with the help of this tutorial:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/415385/tube-change-biasing-a-stax-006t-ii/15

First I brushed and removed all dust with compressed air (a can).

Wiped the tubes, inserted and removed them a couple of times before I put them back in place again, to make sure the contact between pins and holders was good.

Bias was off about +4 to -3 V for all four pots, had a hard time adjusting those extremely sensitive pots but managed to get them all within 0,5 V (I fear if I breathe on them they would jump a couple of volts off again).

Sprayed the volume/balance control with contact spray.

I didn't expect any major changes, but was really surprised by how the sound opened up after these small adjustments. I can really recommend it for all who have amps with a few years on their back.

The tubes were Yugoslavian Ei 6CG7, made in the now defunct facory that apparently used the old Telefunken machinery. They sound fine to my ears, but it would be interesting to compare with other quality tubes, so suggestions are welcome.

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #24,051 of 24,807
The new KGSSHVT2 with teflon valve bases, titanium valve covers, silvered mica + oil filled teflon+silver caps, global/local/sublocal feedback, ccshev stabilised power supply, rubidium doped xicon resistors, unobtanium plated gold contacts in pure medical grade teflon output sockets, triple delrin reinforced polyglass pc boards, tritrium doped grids in nos mullard JAN valves,bifilar wound semi-toroidal transformers with grain oriented sintered ceramic coated cobalt steel core with 0.00023 flux gap housed in a potted under vacuum process with double thickness mu-metal Faraday cage, wired in 99.99999% pure silver wire in electron depleted teflon coating.

Other interesting innovations are subject to government restricted black-box procedures.

What digital cable do you recommend?
Do you recommend the Tungsten filament, gold plated SPDIF cryogenically treated KG Special Edition Coax?

Jul 28, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #24,052 of 24,807
Quote:Chris J
What digital cable do you recommend?
Do you recommend the Tungsten filament, gold plated SPDIF cryogenically treated KG Special Edition Coax?

Only if you can't get the critically short supplied neodynium enhanced silver cable coated in polymerised mica insulation coated in polymerised teflon and terminated with Neutrik's diffusion plasma welded connectors in a radon enriched helium atmosphere.

The thorium enhanced palladium connectors ensure that oxidation is not encountered under any condition.

Of course, the Unicorn manehair pleated cover ensures there are absolutely negligible microphonics emanating from the cable abrading against any external surfaces.

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #24,053 of 24,807
I hope the new KGSSHVK uses many of the same parts as the KGSSHV? I would like to eventually switch to the new boards if the amp is as good or better. I am have all the electronic components for some time now. I think I will TRY to commission the RIGHT builder because I would really like one built properly.

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #24,054 of 24,807
Spritzer,

How does the 009 sound with you KGSSHV?

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #24,055 of 24,807
@ gilency -
I believe he meant to say KGSS-DX.
It is a rare (early?) HeadAmp variant of the KGSS. Taller and not as wide as Justin's other KGSS build.

Yeah, KGSSHV-DX acronym was made probable by the person who wrote about it.
The KGSSHVk, aka KGSSHV mini boards are coming my way soon.
I have seen the older version of Justin KGSS on sale a couple of times through out the years.
Chi Aki, the 009 sounds lovely with said amplifier.

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #24,056 of 24,807
Quote:

I agree with this! The HD 600 (not the HD 650) is a lovely headphone with the right amp e.g. Lake People G100 and a new cable it playes wonderfull for the price and the next step is more expensive.

Whats your favorite Lambda Modell? I testet many of these and here is my conclusion:

1. Lambda Signature or Lambda Pro (i can not decide between two
L3000.gif
)
2. Lambda Nova Signature
3. Lambda SR-404 Signature Limited Edition
4. Lambda SR-507
5. Lambda SR-307 Classic
6. Lambda SR-404 Signature
7. Lambda SR-303 Classic
8. Lambda SR-202 Basic

The best amp for me with these Lambdas is the SRM-T1 or SRM-T1S.
atsmile.gif

My personal favourite is the normal bias one, I would probably buy the one that got on sale here if I didn't own one.

Of course it is not perfect it depends on the type of music since the bass is not as good as the newer ones but the midrange is really important for me, and no other Lambda is as pure and nice as the original and the damped design makes great transients as well which seems to be missing from the other ones (except the Pro).

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #24,057 of 24,807
They do indeed shine.. When they shine! Would like to add they aren't half bad with acoustic. Muddied you say? That must be in comparison to other 'stats or flagships, cuz then my HE-500 is a mud-pool. I can tell you they are indeed forward in the upper mids (slightly hot), and they can indeed be a bit edgy as well. Which amp did you use back then?

On another note, can it really be true that NO ONE in this thread knows how the srm-007 compares to the srm-006/srm-t1? I'd say that is a pretty obvious and interesting comparison.

EDIT: Ohh no! I have the newer t1 version

I presume my amp was the older T1 as the set, I think, was from the late '80s.
Perhaps muddied isn't the right term. I went to hear them and I knew right away that they weren't going to be great all'rounders so I waited a day to think about it as I can only afford one set-up. But the next day I went back to get them because "when they were good they were very very good"...
I tried to replace them with 507s and though the 507s were better for more diverse music I found I enjoyed them less so I gave up on Stax for a while. Now though I am excited as I am getting the 007 mk1 / 007Tii combo soon.

If the 007Tii arrives in time I can give you my comparison to the 006t.

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #24,058 of 24,807
Quote:
Only if you can't get the critically short supplied neodynium enhanced silver cable coated in polymerised mica insulation coated in polymerised teflon and terminated with Neutrik's diffusion plasma welded connectors in a radon enriched helium atmosphere.

The thorium enhanced palladium connectors ensure that oxidation is not encountered under any condition.

Of course, the Unicorn manehair pleated cover ensures there are absolutely negligible microphonics emanating from the cable abrading against any external surfaces.

Well the theory and technology are obviously sound.
Nice to see that it is based on fully documented and peer approved scientific and engineering research papers.
I'm relieved!
Objectively, I suspect the subjectivists would be put off by all this technobabble and cold hard science.
This hobby is so full of snake oil.

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #24,059 of 24,807
S Branson- "anybody know" --007MK1 and SRM 006 and SRM 007 T11  --sounds like. While I don't know the new tube amp -sound wise a certain  UK "golden ear" by the name of Alvin Gold does According to him the new tube amp is more open detailed getting like a solid-state amp but retaining tube smoothness. In other words --more open with greater  depth-  That's his pronunciation on it in a UK hi-fi mag . Although Stax are still  "persona non grata"  with many UK mags as they have never been forgiven after Alvin and others praised them years ago -just at the same time as the quality control went through the floor. Yes I know that was a long time ago BUT  many "golden ears" felt let down and never forgave them.Forgiveness isn't a common trait over here.  

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #24,060 of 24,807
I need some help in an area peripherally related to Stax.

I use a Little Dot 1+ as a preamp for a Stax SRD-X Professional energizer, and after using it to preamp a mixboard for an electronic music party (at 100% volume for a few hours with mil-spec tubes), the right channel is distorting heavily and I can't get it to stop. It distorts in the right channel despite tube swapping, fuse changing, RCA cable changing, source changing, power changing, and output changing. What's going on? How do I fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back