The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #22,651 of 24,807
Quote:
He might very well perceive a difference. Not necessarily something that has to do with the dustcovers, though.

I think this very well may be the case.  He's hearing a big difference between the two headphones and automatically deducing that the dust covers are the cause.  If they were both new headphones that would be more believable but these are old headphones so there's a good chance there could be something wrong with his "lesser" version that has nothing to do with the dust covers.  The fact that nobody else has ever said anything about this makes me believe this is probably what's happening.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #22,652 of 24,807
Yet another question from the Newb
biggrin.gif

I know this: The amp of the T1 is the same as the amp inside 006t, but there are different connections, design and etc. Anywayz, what's the difference between the 006t and 006t mk2? And again 006ts?
I can't clearly find the information anywhere...

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #22,653 of 24,807
Quote:
My friend he owns the O2mk1/407/LNS,(I sold him the 407 & LNS, all our lambdas use 507 leather pads)

Both of us agreed that the 407/LNS sound better than the O2mk1 on his 007TA
(the O2mk1 is slow, muddy,veiled on the 007TA)
the woven Nylon LS sound clean & clear, but it's somewhat etchy,

Then we heard the PVC LS, the sound is jaw dropping,
the PVC LS has the fullness smooth sound of LNS, the resolution & timbre of nylon LS , the bass impact of 507,soundstage is the largest,
it has the best bass texture,best vocal,highs and more..
it is significantly better than any other stax we heard

I don't have any problem with your observations.  These forums are after all all about subjective preferences although I trust the reports of some people who I know or have followed for some time, more than others. However, in then end the issue is what I observe.  Could different dust covers make phones sound different? Possibly.  I know that when I removed dust covers from Koss electrostatics, they sounded brighter.  I would ultimately want to hear these for myself or see reports by other users.

I don't care much as to what the apparent "consensus" is.  I have seen  "flavor of the month" fads in these columns where numbers of people people pile on for or against something and later another consensus is reached. A case in point is your comment about the O2Mk1. I recall when I wanted to buy these some years back and held back because there was a significant amount of critical comment somewhat as you describe, of the 002 being too dark,  mostly from persons using them with Stax tube amps. Over time these criticisms have declined, possibly because more people are using better tube amps such as the Woo and BHSE, or the 717 transistor amp which has a larger voltage swing.  At any rate now the 007Mk1 is considered by many to be preferable to the current editions.

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #22,654 of 24,807
Hi

I picked up a SRM-1/MK2 Pro (series A) off of ebay for $299. It had been stored away for at least 10 years (lots 'o dust!). Cleaned it and it works. It's dead silent, no hum at all.

I now want to do a full refurb. I've seen the post(s) on replacing the power caps but don't know what else to check/replace.

What voltages should I check and where? Replace all caps? resistors? diodes? what brands/series? anything else ......

I've searched these forums for a few days and have found bits and pieces but not enough info to avoid reinventing the wheel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BTW: I found schematics for this box, quite comfortable with HV, soldering etc.

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #22,655 of 24,807
Just a note about my 009s; they seem to be getting better and better now that I've had them for about a year, with the notorious brightness disappearing to the point 
where I only hear it on about 20% of my recordings (all CD/SACD). (I hope it's not just my hearing, but all my dynamics sound about the same.)
And I can turn the volume up really high if I want. I just was curious if anyone else noticed this too so I can verify that it's not just me adapting to the sound.

They do sure sound different than my dynamics which I also love, but they are becoming more awesome all the time.
For the record, they sound best with discs that sound a bit toned down or even muddled a bit on the dynamics, like my DCC CDs which
are more warmly mastered. The bass on these could be sort of loose, but not on the 009s, where it's perfect (along with the highs, which go way up there in a very nice way).

SACDs are great also.

I'm just rambling here from some lack of sleep from listening too far into the night, but the 009s just open up a new world of insight, articulateness, and beautiful non-analytic detail on all sorts 
of old familiar music as if I'm hearing it for the first time. Sometimes a sound widget appears so clearly it's shocking, and I need to re-start the track just to hear this thing again,
and it's a real thrill ride, fast and furious. It is like being in a speeding car I guess. 

I guess I can see why some well known people here moved on from them, but for me, I think they mellowed out a bit and maybe I came to crave what they can do and
now I can't get enough of them. It may be analogous to the way some Senn HD600/650 aficionados could not accept the HD800s, but with some upstream tweaking,
some long-term break-in, and maybe some ear/brain adjustment, I found the rewards to be great.

And now I can't wait to hear what this or that CD sounds like to see what I can discover. They are just so much fun. The 009s are real joy, 100% addictive.

I now officially love my 009s to death.

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #22,656 of 24,807
Ohh, how do I know if a T1 is mk1 or 2? And what's the difference?

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #22,657 of 24,807
Quote:
I would skip (send back) any SR007 phones and do anything I could to get my hands on a pair of 009s, which nobody could ever pry from me.
If you have to get a cheap amp or source for a while until you can afford better, I would do so, but to me the 009s are the main kernal to build a great system upon.
The 009 reveals extreme detail in a musical way that can sink deep in to your brain in ways I never heard any audio system do.
It can be bright if you don't line up the food chain right, but you'll get there if you work at it a bit.

I got 10% off with Elusive Disc so bit the bullet and ordered the SR-009. I listen mostly to vocals and i'm looking for a more intimate sound as opposed to something grand. In that respect, I am wondering if one of the Stax amps would give me what I am looking for. The one I am looking at is the SRM-717. Is this a wise move or should I be looking down a  different path? 

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #22,659 of 24,807
Quote:

I got 10% off with Elusive Disc so bit the bullet and ordered the SR-009. I listen mostly to vocals and i'm looking for a more intimate sound as opposed to something grand. In that respect, I am wondering if one of the Stax amps would give me what I am looking for. The one I am looking at is the SRM-717. Is this a wise move or should I be looking down a  different path? 

I keep saying here (but not too many believe me) that the 007t/ii amp really does a fine job. It is reminiscent of the 007t/SR007 mk1 setup I had for many years (but the 009 is,
-trite but true- in a whole different league). I use the RCA inputs and a warmish Shunyata power cord and I am astounded by the results.
I really came to like the 007t sound on my original 1999 SR007 mk-1 system, as it has a sweet tubey inner light in addition to a very solid bass.
Search around the forums for 007t comments and you will get a feel of people's experience with it (it seems positive to me).
Even look up 12 years worth of magazine reviews of the 007t system. That's all I have used with my 009s.

The 009s with the WES is grander and presents a bigger hall like space and has more layering, but the 007t/ii creates a smaller intimate space with, to my ears, 
great vocals (I like Carly Simon, Joni Mitchell, Simon and Garfunkel, Carole King,  CSN&Y, Paul McCartney, Beatles, Eagles, Doobies + all the usual suspects from classic rock).
My 007t/ii is just the stock version, having no mods, using the stock tubes.

Congrats on the 009s and the good deal. I think Justin has a used 007t/ii last time I looked.

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #22,660 of 24,807
Hi Clsmooth391

I use the SRM-717 with my SR-007s (2.5 version) and it sounds really good.

I have a good Audio Note 3.1 tube DAC, and use an Audio Note M3 pre amp before the Stax amp, which I have set to bypass the Stax volume pot. Front end is a Mac Mini with full M2Tech EVO stack. The SQ I am getting is truly special, and I am very happy.

I would recommend buying a used SRM-717, and maybe later try a BHSE or LL if you have the funds then. But you may find, like me the Stax amp does it for you. I think having a pre amp before the Stax input is giving the Stax amp more swing and dynamics. Without a pre it sounds thinner and less realistic. 

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #22,661 of 24,807
Stax 007t/ii new via Amazon. $2050.
http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-SRM-007TA-SRM-007TII-DRIVER-HEADPHONE/dp/B008073MC8

This is what spritzer said a few years back about the Stax amps:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The standard recommended Stax amp is the 717 since it is quite frankly by far the best amp Stax have made in a long time. The 727 isn't as good but if you find one cheaply I'd go for it. The tube amps put me to sleep with the SR-007 so I can't recommend them."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, but I think a mellow-ish tube amp is just what the SR009 needs, and maybe that's why I like the 007t/ii - 009 combo so much.
The 009 is NOT as laid back as the Omegas.
[size=x-small]I'm not an EE guy (I worked in software mainly), I just know what I hear, and I have no interest here except to recommend what sounds good (great) to me to help fellow headfiers here.[/size]
[size=x-small]( I have had experience searching for good amp/phone matches on the dynamic side, cycling thru Headroom Maxes, a Luxman P1U, a B52, and a Pinnacle with a[/size]
[size=x-small]variety of good dynamic phones including R10s at one time, so that's where my experience with headphone sound comes from.)[/size]
[size=x-small]I am biased toward tube headphone amps though, as I am a fan of the inner glow of tube-sound, especially on vocals, so given a choice, I stick with tubes.[/size]

Jun 5, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #22,663 of 24,807
astrostar59, thank you for your impressions. I am hoping the Stax does it for me. From what I've read, the higher end amps may not provide me with the sound I am looking for. I am not ruling out saving up for the LL, BHSE but just feel the sound may be too big and not as involving my tastes. Btw, what dac do you use in your setup? I'm curious as your amp is warm so a warmer dac could be overkill.

rgs9200m, I have read a lot of your posts on the 007t/ii and it has really tempted me. I like the tube sound myself. However, I have a good deal on the SRM-717. It's a part exchange so saves me selling some gear.  It's also local and the amp has been modded to 117v. My thought process is to give it a try (as I really like the KGSS sound) and it's going to be similar or slightly warmer which could work well with the SR-009. If I'm not happy with it, I will sell it on and try to audition the 007t/ii.

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back