The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #22,231 of 24,807
@DefCon, btw I  am not sure how stereotyping by someone's nationality has anything to with the gear prices?

is this really funny?

I think you guys have interpreted my post wrong and what I posted after in response to jjinh. I'm not stereotyping any nationality and it would be wrong for me generalise and group all Euro sellers as rip off merchant sellers on fleabay. What I was saying was and I'm on eBay everyday is sellers from Poland and Italy have ridiculously priced Stqx gear when there are a few on sale, all Polish sellers I have dealt with have overpriced Stax gear. Wiktor is one comes straight to mind as currently he is selling the original SR-Omegas for $5000 which is nowhere even worth that amount. VAT and import charges is not an excuse to increase sale price of the item to 100-200% of its original estimated price..

May 12, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #22,232 of 24,807
Do Lambdas typically distort heavily at high volumes? I can't seem to get more than a mediocre volume of bass out of mine, even with an EQ.

EDIT: This might have been because I was running off of battery (at 9.6V) on my energizer. Will double-check.

If it starts to distort that means there is not enough power. My xh starts clipping and distorting at 2 o'clock earlier than my 160 watt fed SRD-7SBmkii will.

May 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #22,233 of 24,807
If it starts to distort that means there is not enough power. My xh starts clipping and distorting at 2 o'clock earlier than my 160 watt fed SRD-7SBmkii will.

If there was anything I hated about the SRM-Xh, it was the fact that it was crazy underpowered.

The SRD-X sounds much better on the wart than it sounded at the meet I went to, so I'm just going to assume that it was the inadequate batteries.

May 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #22,234 of 24,807
Yeah underpowered is something the xh is but thats but for me it will start distorting at fairly high levels usually keep the volume dial at 12'o clock and max out the volume at my source. It's still the best amp do far for my 202's which easily becomes too bright sounding on other energizer/amps I've tried except the T1S

May 13, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #22,236 of 24,807
Quote:
Wiktor is one comes straight to mind as currently he is selling the original SR-Omegas for $5000 which is nowhere even worth that amount.

I've seen SR-Ω sell for much more than that, even on this forum...

Quote:
...Sigma Pro's and 404 LE. One I just sold because I didn't like the condition and needed money and the other I'm still looking for.

Get a pair of Lambda sigs. I think they sound better than the 404LE, plus they also should be cheaper if you dont buy them from, say, wiktor

May 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #22,237 of 24,807
now please help me fix this wire mess :frowning2:

after using it, im just too lazy to roll the wire .. are there any tool / gadget that auto rolls the wire?

something like this -> 

i meant the mechanic that uses the measuring tape, are there anything similar to that kind of device for rolling the wire!

May 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #22,238 of 24,807
You can use some sort of velcro to hold the extra length of cable rolled up you don't need. I do this with my Stax headphones when they are not in use on the headstands they go with cables rolled up and velcro'd through the middle to hold it. Don't use rubber band or tape. Rubber band can deteriorate and leave that sticky rubber residue over time on the cables and I think you know why not to use sticky tape.

Good luck.

May 13, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #22,239 of 24,807
Hi.
Quote:
Equating the natural wear and tear of a combustion engine to burn in is beyond idiotic to say the least.  Same goes for claiming that a transducer in headphones or a capacitor needs 200 hours "to settle down".  Has anybody set down and calculated just how many cycles have gone through the parts at that point?  I also find it truly funny that it's never the listener that is at fault in this situation.  It is just assumed that our perception of sound is flawless and we pickup any and all minute details on the first five minutes.  Hell, most just do a part of a song and think they know everything. 

Yeah! It seems you know everything already. Great. So fuggedabout all our own experiences concerning "burn-in" or "changing sound with time" ...

I've heard things that amazed me. I never believed in "burn-in" before but my ears told me otherwise. Especially with the "new" x-os of my Maggies. They are still getting better soundwise after more than 100 hours of listening. No joking.

Otherwise I respect your expertise ...

Greetings, Jörg.

May 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #22,240 of 24,807
Quote:

I've seen SR-Ω sell for much more than that, even on this forum...

Get a pair of Lambda sigs. I think they sound better than the 404LE, plus they also should be cheaper if you dont buy them from, say, wiktor

Yea to that. I own a pair of Lambda Nova Sigs and love them, especially after I fitted them with the new leather pads.

But it seems they are getting scarce these days ...

Greetings, Jörg.

May 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #22,244 of 24,807
In terms of SQ, the Lambda sig is the best in lambda family
especially the PVC dust cover version, sound is fuller,has more mid-bass,soundstage is wider
the only flaw is the etch

LNS/407/507/underpowered O2 sound a little "plastic" when comparing to sig

May 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #22,245 of 24,807
I wouldn't declare it as the best Lambda, it might be super resolving and I agree the newer ones being not as natural.
But it is just bloody bright, when I compared with the NB Lambda which imho still somewhat bright (although with amazing tone)

Although I guess it can be tamed down somewhat (it needs plenty of that) and some (older?) people are simply just able to adjust to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back