The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #22,261 of 24,807
I just purchased a pair of SR-007 Mk2 which have recently had the diaphragms replaced. I was under the impression that they would still be mk2 drivers but Sprtizer has confirmed they will be the mk2.5 drivers. I found the mk1 a little laid back. I'm moving away from dynamics because of the harsh treble or non harsh treble but lack of detail. Will the mk2.5 drivers be as hot on the treble as dynamic headphones and has anyone heard them to give their views. Is there an easy mod for these to tame the brightness? I'm worried I've made a mistake in buying these.

Also, what amp would suit this version of the SR-007? I don't mind going as high as the BHSE (although it will take time to save up).

May 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #22,265 of 24,807
Quote:
I just purchased a pair of SR-007 Mk2 which have recently had the diaphragms replaced. I was under the impression that they would still be mk2 drivers but Sprtizer has confirmed they will be the mk2.5 drivers. I found the mk1 a little laid back. I'm moving away from dynamics because of the harsh treble or non harsh treble but lack of detail. Will the mk2.5 drivers be as hot on the treble as dynamic headphones and has anyone heard them to give their views. Is there an easy mod for these to tame the brightness? I'm worried I've made a mistake in buying these.

Also, what amp would suit this version of the SR-007? I don't mind going as high as the BHSE (although it will take time to save up).

No, brightness is a relative term and not necessary equal to harsh treble etc.

So you should get a 717 or modded 727 maybe try it with a few good sources (some of them are warmer, some are brighter relative to others) if you can and if you don't like the sound, just re-sell it and don't worry about the purchase.

And if you have issues with it but generally like the "electrostatic nature" compared to dynamics, then just get a BHSE and find the one you like the most but a good source is equally important but I am not going to get in a debate about which one is the "best", the amps are easier to rank but the source is no less important (even with dynamic headphones as well).

May 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #22,266 of 24,807
Quote:

Yep, he sent it back to Japan. Although Stax in the USA would also fix the Japanese model but they are a rip off.

FIFY. 
wink_face.gif

May 15, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #22,268 of 24,807
For my Stax 007t/ii amp, I am thinking of tuberolling in some Brimar/Mazda 6FQ7 or 6CG7 tubes (2 matched sets).
First, can I just plug them in w/o biasing them just to hear how they sound and if I like them,
later ship the amp and tubes to Stax/Yamasinc for biasing?

(And if I don't like the sound of the new tubes, just reinstalling the original stock tubes and be back where I started.)

Will this work?
Thanks.
(I have SR009 phones).

May 16, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #22,271 of 24,807
Quote:
No, Stax says they aren't. It's a pain...

Looking at Stax.co.jp website the SRM 007Tii is a 2006 model. It is the SRM 006TS that was introduce in 2010.

I would do it myself, it looks pretty easy. I don't know yet if the 006TS auto bias either.

May 16, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #22,272 of 24,807
Quote:
Stax in the USA would also fix the Japanese model but they are expensive.

Not according to their website, unless I am misinterpreting the legalese:

"STAX audio products are sold throughout the U.S. by STAX Authorized Dealers. Accutech provides 1 years manufacture's warranty only on STAX products sold by STAX Authorized Dealers and warranty applies only to the original purchaser. STAX warranty does not cover products with removed or defaced serial numbers. (Serial numbers are strictly enforced) To ensure that you are dealing with a STAX Authorized Dealer or to learn more about warranties, please contact us at stax [at] yamasinc.com or call 310-327-3913.

There are some dealers who sell STAX products but are not authorized to do so. These dealer may offer STAX products for sale via direct retail sales, mail order or the Internet. The products they sell may be acquired through illegal methods or through questionable business practices. These goods may be damaged, defective, used or refurbished, or they might not be designed for use in the U.S. (different voltage)

Many unauthorized dealers do not offer any customer support, service, or parts. Also, some of these dealers engage in fraudulent practices to avoid responsibility for after-sale problems. Given a poor supply chain, a non-authorized dealer is in a poor position to deal with service issues. Even though some dealers claim to warrant the product in lieu of the manufacturer's warranty, they do not have a direct source for getting genuine STAX replacement parts.

STAX products purchased from these channels (includes second-hands) are NOT serviced in the U.S.

So how do you know? Simply, by emailing us at stax [at] yamasinc.com or by calling 310-327-3913"

May 16, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #22,273 of 24,807
Quote:

Not according to their website, unless I am misinterpreting the legalese:

"STAX audio products are sold throughout the U.S. by STAX Authorized Dealers. Accutech provides 1 years manufacture's warranty only on STAX products sold by STAX Authorized Dealers and warranty applies only to the original purchaser. STAX warranty does not cover products with removed or defaced serial numbers. (Serial numbers are strictly enforced) To ensure that you are dealing with a STAX Authorized Dealer or to learn more about warranties, please contact us at stax [at] yamasinc.com or call 310-327-3913.

There are some dealers who sell STAX products but are not authorized to do so. These dealer may offer STAX products for sale via direct retail sales, mail order or the Internet. The products they sell may be acquired through illegal methods or through questionable business practices. These goods may be damaged, defective, used or refurbished, or they might not be designed for use in the U.S. (different voltage)

Many unauthorized dealers do not offer any customer support, service, or parts. Also, some of these dealers engage in fraudulent practices to avoid responsibility for after-sale problems. Given a poor supply chain, a non-authorized dealer is in a poor position to deal with service issues. Even though some dealers claim to warrant the product in lieu of the manufacturer's warranty, they do not have a direct source for getting genuine STAX replacement parts.

STAX products purchased from these channels (includes second-hands) are NOT serviced in the U.S.

So how do you know? Simply, by emailing us at stax [at] yamasinc.com or by calling 310-327-3913"

I emailed Stax and they replied saying that they would still service the product even if it was from Japan and charge $25 diagnositc fee, $50 hour labour + parts + return shipping.

May 16, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #22,275 of 24,807
Quote:

$25 diagnositc fee, $50 hour labour + parts + return shipping.

Very expensive rate there. But of course handling these sort of things require patience and caution. You can't expect to throw your Stax across the room at the wall to fix rattling problems inside like you can do with a pair of Beyer DT770 (actually have done lol)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back