The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #21,827 of 24,807
It look s gorgeous,

Mr. Mallach seem s to be a very serious person in case of amps.....

Nice to talk to hom. Haven't tried the amp but I will:))

Give us some impressions.....

Regards Georg

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #21,828 of 24,807
Quote:
It look s gorgeous,

Mr. Mallach seem s to be a very serious person in case of amps.....

Nice to talk to hom. Haven't tried the amp but I will:))

Give us some impressions.....

Regards Georg

In coming days i will say something, this amp is silky silky and silky especially in the midrange.Pure perfection with HD-800 on 4 pin connection, the female vocals with this amp are mind-boggling (10 tubes).Listened today also with Omega mk1 when i took the phones off i thought i was listening with HD-800, this amp injects a lot of air to Omegas.The remote control feature is also nice and you have to press only on one button to switch between different phones .At this moment i am very excited about this amp.

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #21,829 of 24,807
So after thinking it over carefully for the past day or so... I've decided to hold on to the 007/717's for the time being... one of the reasons being that I really do want to compare it and the 009's side by side before I decide to really let go of it.  They're also very rare now so I don't want to make the mistake of letting them go too early since I know if I change my mind for any reason, it may become too difficult to find again (especially the 717's)... and perhaps there can be room for both headphones in the collection in the end as they're quite different sounding (whether I can afford to keep both is another story... we'll see what happens).

I'll have to let go of nearly all my other gear (except for ESW10JPN, they have a certain special sound quality to them and are no longer in production to boot) and go on a strictly ramen-only diet for the next few months so that I can keep these and also pay for the 009's though... well, ok maybe not the ramen diet part 
tongue.gif
, but still, I'll have to budget very, very tightly for the next few months in order to make this work... but that's the sacrifice I've decided to make in order to keep the 007's for now. I'll also have to skip over the 727's for now and try the 009 with my current 717 first and see how that sounds.  I haven't seen too many reviews on how the 009/717 pair sounds, so very curious to hear how they sound paired up. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #21,832 of 24,807
Quote:
for a first post that was pretty nice, my Japanese is nil but could someone post if this is groundbreaking. this is the interviewer and a stax employee?

That's one of two Fujiya Avic interviews of Stax prior / at the release of the SR-009 (code names C32 at the time). This video is with Suzuki-san, head of R&D (basically he's THE designer of current stax gear). I posted some half baked translations in the past, don't have time to search it now but you can probably find it under the initial threads (C32 impressions and what not).

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #21,833 of 24,807
http://www.head-fi.org/t/546214/auditioned-stax-new-sr-009/30#post_7388200

Basically three good posts in a row. I'm wondering how thin the stator is machined in the hexagonal planes. (?)
I mean, it is thin. I'm sure it's optimal, based on looking at the design, and etc, in my own 009's. And the videos. Very, very good air dampening =the difference between Crystal sound of the 009, and the strawberry nature of the Orpheuss'.
Since the main advantage of stats is superior air dampening in nature, (along with those ideal transients ↔ the lighter than air nature of a push-pull diaphragm) the 009's = neat in this regard.

"> People asking if tubes or SS which is better. Suzuki-san prefers SS."

"I used to feel that tubes were somehow naturally better than solid state for Stax headphones – not any more."

"Stax SRM-727A > Stax SR009/SR007mk1".

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #21,834 of 24,807
So after thinking it over carefully for the past day or so... I've decided to hold on to the 007/717's for the time being... one of the reasons being that I really do want to compare it and the 009's side by side before I decide to really let go of it.  They're also very rare now so I don't want to make the mistake of letting them go too early since I know if I change my mind for any reason, it may become too difficult to find again (especially the 717's)... and perhaps there can be room for both headphones in the collection in the end as they're quite different sounding (whether I can afford to keep both is another story... we'll see what happens).

I'll have to let go of nearly all my other gear (except for ESW10JPN, they have a certain special sound quality to them and are no longer in production to boot) and go on a strictly ramen-only diet for the next few months so that I can keep these and also pay for the 009's though... well, ok maybe not the ramen diet part 
tongue.gif

, but still, I'll have to budget very, very tightly for the next few months in order to make this work... but that's the sacrifice I've decided to make in order to keep the 007's for now. I'll also have to skip over the 727's for now and try the 009 with my current 717 first and see how that sounds.  I haven't seen too many reviews on how the 009/717 pair sounds, so very curious to hear how they sound paired up. 

Or you could sell a kidney, and have spare change for a quality DAC :D

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #21,835 of 24,807
Quote:
With the descriptions of the 007 versions mentioned, I do not see much talk about which dust cloth is being used with them? A member here posted about this which led me to take a look at mine, there is quite a difference when comparing the two. I am currently using the thinner cloth with the mk2 pad, anyone else feel this should be noted? 

No difference what so ever.  I for one have been using Mk2 pads ever since they came out as they are simply better than the Mk1 units. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #21,836 of 24,807

I am just about out the door, I can get better pictures later, these came off an early (702xx) 007, the others are from a new mk2. There is an audible difference between them.

edit: the lighter weave is from the early mk1, the heavier is from the newer mk2 , I should have clarified this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back