The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #21,556 of 24,807
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies, nice to know " normal " rosin core stuff works well, it has for any of the other things i used it on, even done a very touchy 70mm Philips electret recable.
 All great replies and appreciated very much.

Honestly I dislike the silver stuff but was expecting that to be the suggestion
bigsmile_face.gif

Was going to spring for Cardas stuff but honestly I don't need a roll that will last the rest of my life.
 I've got zero room for error on this particular item, so also covering the drivers up is a welcome suggestion also.

Funny thing I am still to this day using some old 1950's(?) hand held thing I inherited from my Grandfather and have it mastered more or less ( did  voice coil with it once even ), still even has a decent tip, not like the newer stuff it seems that burn out, but this project might make me plunge into one of the Hakko units i have been looking for an excuse to buy to nail the temperature properly the first time.

Just the thought of getting heat near the moisture guard/dustcovers makes me cringe, maybe i can see about leaving a pigtail of the prexisting contact, hopefully it is not in as bad a shape as the rest of the cable in there.

Thanks again to all  for all the reminders and advice.

I have the Hakko FX-888D and it is a very nice unit for ~$100.  The digital readout is very handy.  The Weller version is nice also, but more $$.

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #21,557 of 24,807
Quote:
I liked my ESP-9's at the time I had them (1973)   but they were NOT comfortable and I did NOT like the ESP-6's in comparison.

I used the ESP-9's with a Citation 12 power amp, SAE XXX preamp and Akai GX365 open reel deck, Philips 212 turntable / ADC XLM  (later an AR-XA  and Shure V15 - III )

Pretty high-end at the time, for a college student 

Definitely higher end than what I had as  a student.  I preferred the ESP 9 to the ESP 6 too.  Still the 6 would be nice to hear on the Ampzilla.

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #21,558 of 24,807
Quote:
Say that the SR-Lambda Pro has the same midrange with more fuller lowrange or completely different?

Lambda Pro? I have no idea, since I've never had one of those.

It's said to have more extension both ways, but a more recessed midrange than the SR-Lambda (Normal bias) and most other Lambda models by some folks in here. Not sure if I could stand that.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #21,559 of 24,807
Quote:
Since most of the Japanese SRM-1 Mk2's don't have a plug in the voltage selector then you need to hardwire the transformer.  Here is the correct wiring setup for all Stax amps:

100v:
Gray+White
White wire from the  ACplug+Brown+Green

117v:
Gray+White
White wire from the AC plug+Blue+Purple

240v:
Blue+White wire from the AC plug
Purple+Gray

Spritzer,

Thank you for the great instructions. However short they are, once I looked at the actual wiring inside the driver, they couldn't be more clear. Went from 100v to 117v in no time.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #21,561 of 24,807
Having some issues with my sr-lambdas.  I've been noticing intermittent cutting out on the right side.  It happens when I move my head forward and back, not really side to side.  This is odd to me, as there are no moving parts.  I've played around with the cable, but can not seem to recreate the effect.  So I am assuming that the cable is ok.

might this be dust?  loose connection? or some other problem, like a failing driver?  I'm going to open it up tomorrow and have a look inside.  might it be worthwhile to just reflow the solder connections?  Not sure what the wisest step is.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #21,562 of 24,807
Quote:
my friend is in Akihabara, Tokyo. Where can he buy( / audition ? ) STAX SR009 ? nearby , easy to reach areas are fine as well.

i asked him to get a quote for the same , but today he searched some famous electronics market, could not find a trace of stax.

Dyna5555.  eEarphone might have a pair for demo too. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #21,563 of 24,807
Having some issues with my sr-lambdas.  I've been noticing intermittent cutting out on the right side.  It happens when I move my head forward and back, not really side to side.  This is odd to me, as there are no moving parts.  I've played around with the cable, but can not seem to recreate the effect.  So I am assuming that the cable is ok.

might this be dust?  loose connection? or some other problem, like a failing driver?  I'm going to open it up tomorrow and have a look inside.  might it be worthwhile to just reflow the solder connections?  Not sure what the wisest step is.

unplug the left ic and check if the sound in the right driver completely goes out or goes faint. the driver could be slightly coming apart as another user recently experienced.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #21,564 of 24,807
Quote:
Definitely higher end than what I had as  a student.  I preferred the ESP 9 to the ESP 6 too.  Still the 6 would be nice to hear on the Ampzilla.

I worked 8 hours a day as a UAW union worker in a zinc plating factory (decent money for the time) during my first year of college, while taking 12-14 credit hours of calculus and organic chemistry-  amazing amount of energy I had in those days.  Can't imagine how I did that. I got tired the other day just carrying my old organic chemistry textbook out to the recycling bin, when I came back in I had to sit down and have a cup of coffee.

Anyway I was burning the candle at both ends in those days to afford college AND the SAE preamp and a Dynaco FM5 tuner kit and Akai GX365 open reel,  Esp9's H-K Citation 12 kit, etc.   HAHA  the audio gear came first, college second, sleep third..... at least I had my priorities right.

1972-73.   Before many of you were born I suspect.  In those days, I had hair. 
biggrin.gif

I wonder what that gear would have sounded like through a (yet-to-be-introduced)  Stax Lambda and SRD-7.

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #21,565 of 24,807
Milosz's story gave me an instant hit of deja vu, 1975, killing myself over calculus, physics, etc., but maybe spent more energy over wishing for that Thorens at the local hi-fi shop, a 10 minute walk away from school.  My Lafayette speakers and Realistic amp were the best I could do at the time.........

And even more deja vu from Milosz's thread, I had a full head of hair then too!    

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #21,566 of 24,807
Quote:
unplug the left ic and check if the sound in the right driver completely goes out or goes faint. the driver could be slightly coming apart as another user recently experienced.

When my driver came apart, the sound was 'hollow' but not intermittent (i.e. the stator was still close enough to affect the diaphragm). 

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #21,567 of 24,807
Quote:

When my driver came apart, the sound was 'hollow' but not intermittent (i.e. the stator was still close enough to affect the diaphragm). 

yeah, it definitely sounds like a wire short.  weather that is the issue, I dont know.  I'm going to reflow the wire connections today I think.  see if it does anything.  and yes, I will be covering every bit of the diaphragms with foil or something while working.  This is not something I want to do.  I wish there was someone I could send the cans to for repair, but thats the cross we bear with vintage cans.  on your own.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #21,568 of 24,807
Question for other 007 users with big heads:  I have a rather large noggin (hat size 8+). When I wear my 007s the headpad is always stretched to the MAX and the earcups are always being tugged up my ears. Yesterday, I removed the headpad and wore the 007s just using the metal headband, which felt MUCH better. Still seemed to have a seal. Anyone else do this? 

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #21,569 of 24,807
Quote:
Question for other 007 users with big heads:  I have a rather large noggin (hat size 8+). When I wear my 007s the headpad is always stretched to the MAX and the earcups are always being tugged up my ears. Yesterday, I removed the headpad and wore the 007s just using the metal headband, which felt MUCH better. Still seemed to have a seal. Anyone else do this? 

My wife calls me "Pumpkin Head", I purchased an older pair of 007's and the head pad was completely stretched, I did use the band temporarily, which did work for me. I ordered a new head pad, feels more secure to me but it does stretch fairly close to the band. Think you  may have me beat on head size...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back