The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #21,301 of 24,807
This is totally unrelated to any recent posts in this thread, but....

I recently spent 5 days in Tokyo visiting parks and various headphone shops (Dynmaic Audio, Fujiya Avic, Yodabashi Cammera, etc)...
[Side note: the Yodabashi Camera in Akihabara had by far the largest selection of 'phones you can listen to. There is noise pollution, but they had 5 stalls off to the side devoted to higher end headphones.]
I finally had the chance to listen to the Stax line up. I think the 407 was my favorite....
...but after listening to them, I don't think I'll get another open-back headphone that's not a Stax again. I'll just wait and save up for SRS4070 combo, then eventually a good amp and then switch to the 007. (Bond, eat your heart out.)

After listening to the Stax line, I don't want to buy something that's open back and not Stax...
I am now a firm believer in the Stax Hype.
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #21,302 of 24,807
Quote:
I can now rotate two phones and build my set up from there.  Still blown away by the 404LE +T1 sound, but the 007A is really smooth and easy to listen to.  Still trying out tracks with it to get a better sense of its signatures while burning it in.

I know that many aren't crazy about the 007A and prefer the Mk1 version and 009, but I like what I hear and will focus on adding a DAC (am trying out different ones now) and upgrading the driver/amp at some point. It gives some time to start saving for a 009 and stop worrying about unused phones.  So that's my story, very little clutter at the moment, and I can build from the ground up with a decent foundation.

404LE will work better with eXStatA (the SS version) and will work better compared with SRM006tII ( and i think It would beat 007, also).
T1 not highlight them sufficiently. I have a friend who made a comparation between SR-404LE, Omega mk1 and 009 (amplification T1/SRM 717...) BHSE or Woo Wes would be better amplification for these, but for the moment they were possible. Hold my attention next interesting thing: there are chapters (like bass frequencies response, details, brightness, .. ) in which he liked more 404LE compared with mk1. Sure, mk1 was unbeatable to the depth of the stage..

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #21,306 of 24,807
Hello,
I bought a set of sr2170 and listened to them for three weeks.
It's so great.
I've never listened to such an effortless rendition.

Very likely I won't appreciate other HPs except higher Staxes.

Initially I was a bit worry about the electrostatic's hi-voltage,
But after some measurements and web surveys, I know stax phones are safe.

Evenmore, there are some reports about using electrostatic to reduce bacteria.
I guess this is why I never have any ear-infection feeling with this 2170 but with other HPs I sometimes do.

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #21,307 of 24,807
Quote:
How much does a 4070 typically go for? I don't think I've ever seen one for sale on Head-Fi, or anywhere else for that matter

Good condition, $1250-1650 but its a sellers market so they could charge 2K to some collector if they were feeling evil.  I've managed to buy two in the last 12 months so they're definitely out there.

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #21,308 of 24,807
How do the 4070 sound compared to, say, the Lambdas? I know the Lambdas have much better height than width in terms of soundstage, but do the 4070 sound even more compressed?

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #21,310 of 24,807
Quote:

The SRM-1 MKII Pro available new, no... the amp is over 20 years old and are long out of production.  Used they go for about $300~400 though. Very good bang for the buck as long as they're in good condition.

SRM-323S are available new and is said to be the best in-production Stax amp without modification.  They make a decent pairing with the 007.

I had the 727A paired with the 007 MK1 for about a week and... I don't recommend that pairing in its stock form... has way too loose of a bottom end IMO. When modded it is said to sound a LOT better though.  If you can't mod it though I'd recommend a used 717 or a KGSS (assuming you can't go straight to end game with the BHSE)

Hmm, tough call. I would consider modding, but I only know specific soldering like 3.5mm plugs, and etc. And even then it usually takes me a few tries. It seems that im stuck between the 323s and SRM-1 MKII Pro. 

Btw I was planning on going with the Stax Omega 2 Mk 2 or Mk1. I usually listen to rock, electro, and occasionally classical. I have no idea of the stax sound signature in the lineup. Ive only heard the Omega 2 mk 1 myself, and those are basically the only ones ive ever had the chance to audition. Is there any other phones in the stax lineup that match my criteria? The main reason I say the Omega 2s is because the other square guys dont seem comfortable at all really. Square shape for oval ears just doesnt add up to me. Plus the omegas look great and are insanely comfortable. 

Also something I havent considered yet is a source. Do these things need an epic source, or is a decent one good enough? And do the omegas benefit from a re-cable? I dont know if anyone even makes em.  

Sorry for all the questions, just the stax are very unknown to me, but I know I dont know how much longer I can live without the sound. Both times ive heard the Omegas it was just  stunning, so instantly noticeable over any other headphone. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #21,311 of 24,807
Quote:

The windings are intact so feel free to change the jumpers. 

Thanks Spritzer. Switched it up, turned it on, working like a charm! 

Saves having to turn on/off the transformer every time. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #21,312 of 24,807
Quote:
Hmm, tough call. I would consider modding, but I only know specific soldering like 3.5mm plugs, and etc. And even then it usually takes me a few tries. It seems that im stuck between the 323s and SRM-1 MKII Pro. 

Btw I was planning on going with the Stax Omega 2 Mk 2 or Mk1. I usually listen to rock, electro, and occasionally classical. I have no idea of the stax sound signature in the lineup. Ive only heard the Omega 2 mk 1 myself, and those are basically the only ones ive ever had the chance to audition. Is there any other phones in the stax lineup that match my criteria? The main reason I say the Omega 2s is because the other square guys dont seem comfortable at all really. Square shape for oval ears just doesnt add up to me. Plus the omegas look great and are insanely comfortable. 

Also something I havent considered yet is a source. Do these things need an epic source, or is a decent one good enough? And do the omegas benefit from a re-cable? I dont know if anyone even makes em.  

Sorry for all the questions, just the stax are very unknown to me, but I know I dont know how much longer I can live without the sound. Both times ive heard the Omegas it was just  stunning, so instantly noticeable over any other headphone. 

I do not have extensive knowledge with Stax cans other than the 007 MK1's, but what I've heard is that the overall balance is quite different to the other Lambdas, etc in the lineup. I've also tried another electrostat, the Koss ESP950s, but they're also said to sound very different from the Omegas/Lambdas as well. So it's probably the best for others with more experience to chime in on this comparison.

A good source is definitely a must with the 007's. I've gone through 3 different mid-level sources with mine, (Anedio, Wyred-4-Sound DAC1, Stello DA100) and they by far lets you hear the differences in sources more than any of the other cans that I've tried. I'm relatively happy with the DA100 I have now but know that eventually I'll upgrade to something technically better down the road.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #21,313 of 24,807
Quote:

I do not have extensive knowledge with Stax cans other than the 007 MK1's, but what I've heard is that the overall balance is quite different to the other Lambdas, etc in the lineup. I've also tried another electrostat, the Koss ESP950s, but they're also said to sound very different from the Omegas/Lambdas as well. So it's probably the best for others with more experience to chime in on this comparison.

A good source is definitely a must with the 007's. I've gone through 3 different mid-level sources with mine, (Anedio, Wyred-4-Sound DAC1, Stello DA100) and they by far lets you hear the differences in sources more than any of the other cans that I've tried. I'm relatively happy with the DA100 I have now but know that eventually I'll upgrade to something technically better down the road.

I figured as much. What source would you guys reccomend for my price range area? I understand I probably wont be able to get it under 2k, but if its mildly close including everything then its understandable. Currently using Schiit Modi. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #21,314 of 24,807
I made the jump from the DA100 (which I had and was happy with for a long time) to the NAD M51.  I was surprised at how noticeable the upgrade was, all good.

Quote:

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #21,315 of 24,807
So I just recently got back into head-fi and bought the Cavalli LF, HD800, LCD2.2, AT 3000ANV and PS Audio PerfectWave MKII, but must admit I've always been curious about Stax.  I can't afford to try the 009, but do you think adding an Omega 2 MkI to the collection would be sonically worth it given what I already have?  Alternate way of asking, Is it different enough from what I own to keep both dynamic rig and start new Stax rig?  I listen to probably 50% rock, 25% jazz and 25% acoustic.  Soundstage, imaging and musical clarity are most important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back