The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #20,539 of 24,807
Well you already have the damn speakers I'm buying.

I'd keep them if we could afford both! :D

It'll be okay. Getting the Leben 300XS so a prime headamp if happening as well as a good speaker amp.

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. My wife will need to pry my 009s from my cold, dead hands.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #20,544 of 24,807
Auditioned the entire system multiple times now. Though I'll be A/Bing the Leben and Line Magnetic 218 one more time before actually handing over the money. 

Why do you ask? Just wondering. I've had a few people ask me this. 

Today the Line Magnetic seemed slightly more thin and distorted than the Leben. The Leben was more full sounding and while slightly rolled off in the highs it did modern music better because of this. 

Quote:
Have you heard the Leben or are you buying that component blindly?

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #20,545 of 24,807
Anyone willing to sell or know a place where I can source a replacement cable for the SR-001's used or brand new? I've posted in the Cables F/S section so if any of you Stax guru's here know where I can get some (looking at the Stax mafia) can be either the SR-003 pro-bias termination or just the SRM-001 portable adapter one. Audiocubes doesn't seem to stock any besides an interconnect they mention on the site which has no picture.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #20,546 of 24,807
I had the ECD-1 a few years back. It was easily beaten by my later Arcam CD-23 CD-player (resolution-wise, the bass was better on the Electrocompaniet). But the best up to now is stlll my Cayin DA-2 which I retro-fitted with NOS Siemens/Halske CCa tubes. Better resolution even than the Arcam and the best bass. Even a very expensive Audio Note DAC couldn't beat it ...

Just my 2 cents.

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #20,548 of 24,807
So the bass is again in a box. I prefer my Maggies, no box. OK, they need oodles of power to drive and their XOs are crap. You have to invest a little know-how and money ...

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #20,549 of 24,807
I was in Japan a few months ago and picked up a clearance SRS-005S set (already have one SRS-005 set for the office and a 006/404 setup for the home office).  Was originally going to sell the new one (got a smoking deal on it) but decided to keep it.  I'm not an electrical guru, so I don't know what type of wallwart to pick up.  Per the recommendations on head-fi, on the previous one I picked up a Jameco wart, but that one is no longer in production.  I can get a similar one from Jameco, but it's unregulated versus the regulated wall wart from the past.  Anyone know if unregulated will be an issue for this Japanese market 252S amp?

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #20,550 of 24,807
Quote:
Auditioned the entire system multiple times now. Though I'll be A/Bing the Leben and Line Magnetic 218 one more time before actually handing over the money. 

Why do you ask? Just wondering. I've had a few people ask me this. 

Today the Line Magnetic seemed slightly more thin and distorted than the Leben. The Leben was more full sounding and while slightly rolled off in the highs it did modern music better because of this. 

A number of people whose ears I generally agree with have commented that it sounds pretty bad is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back