The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #20,011 of 24,807
Bass quality of SR-007  MK 1 - my observations.

Now that I have a pair of the Mk 1's, I have some comments on their bass.

They go very low.  They have pretty good "impact" or "slam" however you want to put it.  Not as impactful as better dynamic or planar headphones, but very good.  OK, for this kind of money you'd expect that.

On top of these commendable qualities, there is something different about SR-007 bass, as compared to my other headphones.

There is a kind of "roundness" to the bass - a "tuneful" quality that is a little more prominent in the 007's than in other headphones I have.  Perhaps a little mid-bass emphasis, coupled with very high resolution and accurate decay so that the little bit of extra mid bass doesn't create a "bloated" or "wooly" sound?  Or is it just that the rest of the audio spectrum is so evenly presented that concentrating on the bass line becomes easier, with the ear not being distracted by some shrill high frequency peak, midrange ringing or other flaw that my other headphones have?

The bass has a very nice "organic" sound.  There is tautness, bass detail, texture and all of that. but there is complimentary warmth as well.

I really like these headphones!  I like the MK 1's much more than my previous MK 2.5's.

Note: using them on SRM-T1  for now, which sounds quite nice.  They seem easier to drive than the SR-007 Mk 2.5's that I had.  No doubt a better amp will sound even better....

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #20,013 of 24,807
Never thought I'd be able to say this...but please consider this post my application for entry into the Stax Country Club!  I ordered SR-009s from Pricejapan several weeks ago, when their website said they'd deliver in 1-2 weeks.  Turns out that the wait was going to be more like 5-6 weeks.  

After 3 weeks of agonizing and hoping for word from Pricejapan, I noticed MH's post that Justin has the 009s in stock.  Pricejapan was willing to refund me my money, so I immediately placed an order with Justin and he shipped the same day.  Thanks for the heads up, MH!  Just wish I had seen your post earlier...

My previous setup was a LF and LCD-3, which was a great rig but I sometimes found myself wanting more detail and clarity.  I'm hoping the 009s will provide a jump in transparency from the LCD-3 similar to what I experienced in the IEM world, when I went from customs like the JH16 and ES5 to the UERM.  I also felt that the LCD-3s could be a bit more forward in the midrange, which (based on reports and measurements) seems to be another thing the 009s should deliver.

I'll be driving these with a Liquid Lightning.  Impressions on this amp seem to be scarce, but I had a great experience owning the LF and dealing with Alex, so when he told me that he had 1 left, I jumped all over it.  I have a small baby who will soon be running around the house, and having exposed, hot tubes just wasn't an option.  Who knows if the LL will be better than the other option I considered, the 727A, but there's no way to find out without taking a little leap of faith.  I did the same thing with the LF and was not at all disappointed.

I'm really expecting this to be the ultimate end game rig, but it looks like that doesn't exist; it seems a decent number of people prefer the O2 MK1 to the 009.  I'll be happy if the 009 is the best headphone I've ever heard and I can find no major flaws with it.  Is that too much to ask for?

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #20,014 of 24,807
You won't be disappointed with the 009 or the LL. If you still plan on using the PWD mkII with that rig (which I happen to have right here) it'll sound fantastic.

You'd better be ready though. If you listen to something mediocre it's going to sound bad. The PWD doesn't do any favors, and neither do the rest of your new chain. 

Guess I know who got the last LL then. :wink:

EDIT: There's a lot of impressions out there, too. 

Quote:
I'm really expecting this to be the ultimate end game rig, but it looks like that doesn't exist; it seems a decent number of people prefer the O2 MK1 to the 009.  I'll be happy if the 009 is the best headphone I've ever heard and I can find no major flaws with it.  Is that too much to ask for?

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #20,015 of 24,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<snip>

I'll be driving these with a Liquid Lightning.  Impressions on this amp seem to be scarce, but I had a great experience owning the LF and dealing with Alex, so when he told me that he had 1 left, I jumped all over it.  I have a small baby who will soon be running around the house, and having exposed, hot tubes just wasn't an option.  Who knows if the LL will be better than the other option I considered, the 727A, but there's no way to find out without taking a little leap of faith.  I did the same thing with the LF and was not at all disappointed.

Yes I have heard both the LL and SRD 727, I went with the SRD 727. 
But that's not to say the LL is not a nice sounding amp with the 009's. 
Yes Alex is a very nice man and I also really like my LF.

Anyway I hope you know that Alex is redesigning both the LL and LF, I would suspect that its for this reason why I am seeing more used LF's for sale. 

ss

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #20,016 of 24,807
Yes I have heard both the LL and SRD 727, I went with the SRD 727. 
But that's not to say the LL is not a nice sounding amp with the 009's. 
Yes Alex is a very nice man and I also really like my LF.

Anyway I hope you know that Alex is redesigning both the LL and LF, I would suspect that its for this reason why I am seeing more used LF's for sale. 

ss

It's mainly because people are making the jump to stats. Quite a few of those sales including mine stated the reason for the jump being stats.

I'm looking forward to the redesigns/added features come spring.

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #20,017 of 24,807
Quote:

Yes, that may be too much to ask. That being said, the LL+009 are great fit. (I preferred that combo with the 2.02 PWD2 firmware, not with the brighter 2.12 firmware) But it's going to be a completely different tone and presentation than the LCD3/LF. There's always the O2mk1, so you'll win either way. Be sure to let the 009s charge up. I've noticed they get more lush and less thin sounding.

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #20,018 of 24,807
Yes, I noticed some folk prefer the SR-007s K1s to the SR-009. I think it could be the source components. When you get to this level the source and the DAC play a HUGE part.
Also the mains, the interconnects and the material i.e vinyl or CD. CD can be superb, or brutal and really bad. The Stax reveal it all it's glory, or warts!

My own view, is if you own a good example SR-007, maybe look at the front end first? A really great tubed DAC can work wonders to those digital nasties, and bring realism to the signal. I am not saying SS DACs are no good, their are some great ones about, but I have found I prefer none over sampling tubed DACs. Plus it allows you to tweak the sound and upgrade components to your taste and system balance. Yes, that can be tweaked via computer based equalisation, but it is better if the signal is transmitted without maybe?

Actually the extra cost of the SR-009 and an LL or BHSE would buy you a lot of transport and DAC.... really add some serious front end muscle.

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #20,019 of 24,807
DAC and other component synergies are crucial to the 009s. This even includes transport / software. I've heard the 009s sound completely different from different DACs using the same amp. They are extremely picky headphones, even more so than the HD800. I've heard a lot of DACs, and I don't think it's as simplistic as adding a NOS tubed DAC though. The issue is not digital nasties but rather tonal balance, which may be inter-related, but not usually not the case. I think most of the guys who can afford this stuff would have already thrown out their DACs (solid-state, tube, OS, NOS) if they had any hint of digititus.

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #20,020 of 24,807
My digital source upgrade list just keeps getting smaller and smaller.

It's down to 3 now I think.

Sim 380D
Cantana
Ayon CD-1SC

I've been less than impressed with the PWD 2 the last week I've been borrowing Cavalli's. I'd still get one if I could get a good deal though.

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #20,021 of 24,807
Quote:
Never thought I'd be able to say this...but please consider this post my application for entry into the Stax Country Club!  I ordered SR-009s from Pricejapan several weeks ago, when their website said they'd deliver in 1-2 weeks.  Turns out that the wait was going to be more like 5-6 weeks.  

After 3 weeks of agonizing and hoping for word from Pricejapan, I noticed MH's post that Justin has the 009s in stock.  Pricejapan was willing to refund me my money, so I immediately placed an order with Justin and he shipped the same day.  Thanks for the heads up, MH!  Just wish I had seen your post earlier...

My previous setup was a LF and LCD-3, which was a great rig but I sometimes found myself wanting more detail and clarity.  I'm hoping the 009s will provide a jump in transparency from the LCD-3 similar to what I experienced in the IEM world, when I went from customs like the JH16 and ES5 to the UERM.  I also felt that the LCD-3s could be a bit more forward in the midrange, which (based on reports and measurements) seems to be another thing the 009s should deliver.

Hey congrats! You will love them. The SR-009s are fantastic and have displaced my beloved LCD-3s as my "go to" headphones.

And dealing with HeadAmp/Justin was a very pleasurable experience. Justin's a great guy. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #20,022 of 24,807
It's pretty simple really, if you find the 009 too bright, get the 007 Mk1, and spend the rest on a BH or similar. Otherwise, enjoy. And be prepared to go through sources like a moviegoer goes through popcorn; at this level resolution is such that absolutely any change in upstream components will be obvious.

Milosz: if you like the 007's bass now, wait until you finish whatever monster amp you're building; bass is one of the biggest areas of improvement with the 007, along with clarity and dynamics. Everything you like about it will be that much better.

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #20,023 of 24,807
Quote:
Milosz: if you like the 007's bass now, wait until you finish whatever monster amp you're building; bass is one of the biggest areas of improvement with the 007, along with clarity and dynamics. Everything you like about it will be that much better.

woo... I am decidedly patient (took almost 2 years to decide on the amp upgrade...) but this makes me want to have my BHSE at home already :wink:

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #20,024 of 24,807
Congrats on the new setup. The LL/009 is a very good combo, and it was exactly what you describe about the LCD-3 that made me take the same path. I really enjoyed the LL/009 while I had them.

Quote:

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #20,025 of 24,807
I use the KGSSHV/007 combo with cheap DACs and I am perfectly satisfied with the sound.
To my ears and preferences is all digital not vinyl.  My LP'S have been gathering dust for years.
Dont mean to disagree with many who like to upgrade to expensive sources or cables; just want to point out differences in opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back