The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #19,981 of 24,807
Not sure what your current set up is but if it is like mine the difference is enough that the 717 is in the closet. The KGSS has much better treble especially with the Sigmas's. With the 717 it was very easy to tell that my O2's had a lot more treble and the Sigma's sounded dull on the top end. With the KGSS that is not nearly as noticeable. The differences I notice is a much better front back sound stage and a bit wider also. The KGSS is also much more transparent and effects the artists use stand out much more than the 717. Hopefully leaving the KGSS on all the time is not a problem or shortens the amps lifespan much because there is no on off switch on the front.

Nov 3, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #19,983 of 24,807
I thought I'd like to share with everyone my new additions 
L3000.gif

A Stax SR-009 and WEE combo! 
Never mind the messy room as the sound is fantastic, clean up can wait 
dt880smile.png

Macmini --> bitperfect --> Audiophilleo w/pure power --> Weiss DAC202/ Invicta Dac --> Parasound JC-1 Monoblocks --> WEE --> 009s

Nov 3, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #19,984 of 24,807
Quote:

Trying the pots in reverse worked like a charm, thanks. Also I could take more pics of the board in case a voltage doubler was just tucked away if you want. Or could it be that this is a srm-1/mk2 pro or PP in an old case?

The wiring isn't stock and the parts sure aren't so this is an after market mod.  Not sure what they wanted to accomplish with those resistors though.  Here is the full schematic for the SRM-1 Mk2:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/2/26/26d933cd_srm-1_mk2_Schematic.jpg

It's rather big... 

This amp is a very early Mk2 with none of the P.P. parts.  It doesn't even the bonded input fets so probably early 1982. 

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #19,985 of 24,807
Gotta say there is something very magical about these 007 MK1's...

I'm usually not a long-period listener of music but with the MK1's, I'm listening for 3-4 hours straight. With HD800 and LCD-2's, no matter how enjoyable they are, my maximum listening sessions are 1 hour at a time.

I think these are easily the least fatiguing headphones that I've ever had. Even after those 4 hours I feel some strain on my cheekbones (I tend to be very sensitive to clamping) but NOT in my ears.

They have this uncanny ability to somehow become MORE comfortable as the time passes by. 
confused.gif
 When I first put them on, for the first 20 minutes I feel the clamp, but then it slowly somehow melts in.

The most interesting thing is that I still find the LCD-2's the more "fun" headphone, but with these MK1's, I seem to have more trouble putting it down. It's not really comfort related either...

And all this is with what is admittingly a lacking amp... can't imagine how much better they'd get with a better amp!

Nov 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #19,987 of 24,807
Funds are being put aside, for sure 
redface.gif
. A used 717, KGSS or enough savings for the BHSE, whatever comes first...   

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #19,988 of 24,807
Quote:
Gotta say there is something very magical about these 007 MK1's...

I'm usually not a long-period listener of music but with the MK1's, I'm listening for 3-4 hours straight. With HD800 and LCD-2's, no matter how enjoyable they are, my maximum listening sessions are 1 hour at a time.

I think these are easily the least fatiguing headphones that I've ever had. Even after those 4 hours I feel some strain on my cheekbones (I tend to be very sensitive to clamping) but NOT in my ears.

They have this uncanny ability to somehow become MORE comfortable as the time passes by. 
confused.gif
 When I first put them on, for the first 20 minutes I feel the clamp, but then it slowly somehow melts in.

The most interesting thing is that I still find the LCD-2's the more "fun" headphone, but with these MK1's, I seem to have more trouble putting it down. It's not really comfort related either...

And all this is with what is admittingly a lacking amp... can't imagine how much better they'd get with a better amp!

Yeah, I liked the sound too, but I also felt the cheekbone pressure too. These things definitely needed more padding. I don't know why Stax used such insubstantial pads on a flagship headphone.
I sold mine just for comfort reasons. I heard you can get the 007 Mk 2 cushions, but I never checked this out. I sure would try and get these if I had them still.

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #19,989 of 24,807
Actually, I'd say its clamping is on par with or a bit less than my LCD-2.. which I'm quite used to and can tolerate. I do wish they clamp maybe a bit less but it's not in the "untolerably uncomfortable" territory as the HD650 was.  Now those I absolutely loved as well but sold only due to the comfort issues. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #19,990 of 24,807
You can bend the metal arc on the 007 to make it clamp less if you prefer it that way. It seems like Stax designed it so you have to tailor the headphone to your specific melon. 
tongue.gif

I made mine have a feather light clamp, but I still get a good seal after fiddling around with the earpad orientation.

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #19,992 of 24,807
I've just gotten a pair of Mk 1's. For the time being I have a pair of Mk 2.5's as well.

I'm not feeling the cheekbone pressure issue.  But then maybe my cheekbones have inherently more padding  
cool.gif

I think they are pretty comfortable.  Not "the most comfortable" as perhaps they should be at this price level.  After all, here in the US you can buy a serviceable used car for the money commanded by a new pair of SR-007's.  

My two complaints about comfort:

• Leather, even butter-soft leather like these, makes my ears BOILING HOT after 30 minutes.  Not everyone likes velour, but I sure do.
  • The hollow space inside the earcups could be a little larger, my pinnae feel a bit cramped in there.

Aside from that, and compared to other top-of-the-line headphones they are pretty comfortable. They are pretty light in weight; the arc can be carefully bent to give 'just enough' pressure, and by turning the asymmetrical earpads you can achieve good comfort. Other high-end headphones pretty much all have comfort issues, too. My HE-6  are pretty comfy with their nice velour pads and all, but they are heavy. My Audeze are also quite heavy.  (Planar headphones need big magnets; magnets are heavy.  Planars need stiff frames, too.)  My Sennheiser HD-800's are more comfortable, except for being poked in the ear by their treble peak!  The ESP-950's are lighter, and more comfortable IMHO.  

Not a comfort issue, but these Mk 1's seem to "Stax fart" a lot more than any other Stax set I've had.  Maybe they have a bit better seal.  I wonder if "fart relief" is the reason that Stax put a port in the Mk 2/2.5? Any time I move my head a bit in any axis I can get that familiar "cruckle" sound from one driver or the other.

I must say that the sound of the Mk I  is very much to my liking.  There's a "smooth and extended neutrality" to the treble  that's quite nice, along with a midrange than reminds me of very good port wine somehow. There's a subtlety to the sound, it's not an instant "WOW!" hit-you-in-the-face "hi-fi" type experience.  The bass seems quite extended and utterly low in distortion as well.  I'm using them on an SRM-T1 for now, a more appropriate amplifier is a-building in my workshop.

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #19,994 of 24,807
Yeah, my MK1's right side often farts when I move my jaw as well.

Glad you're enjoying the MK1's milosz
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #19,995 of 24,807
I once had the 007mk1 along with the SRM-007t and was disappointed with how the 007 sounded driven by that amp, which is why it didn't bother me about using those two as part exchange last year for the source l have.  Over four months ago driven by my BHSE, l heard IanG's 007mk1's which he no longer has, and after hearing his 007mk1 with the BHSE, I'm still regretting letting the 007 I had go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back