The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #19,966 of 24,807
Quote:
Belated congratulations Peter, glad you found your new Gladys! I guess this was somewhat predictable though
devil_face.gif

Quote:

It's about time you got the 009s! Now you need to get a better amp. The LL is great match with the 009.

Thanks fellas. Next up a kitchen reno...and maybe a LL during the next run next year this year. 
smile.gif
 But I gotta say the SR727II is very good with them!

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #19,968 of 24,807
The existing tubes don't even work as it is so that's a crap shoot but simply replacing the PSU will not help as much as changing the tubes and how they are loaded.  Then I'd work on the PSU but nothing would fit in that chassis

Spritzer is being modest here. He has developed a nice mod for the tubes in the SRM007t series amps. It doesn't become a giant killer like the T2 or the BHSE, but it sounds a LOT nicer and does have a more authoritative output. I have the amp right here and I can say it is a very worthwhile mod.

If one has modest skills and doesn't have the hamfisted gene, it looks pretty easy to do. All you need is two matched pairs of an inexpensive NOS tube and some ordinary hookup wire. And a sharp scratchawl or a small handset tool, and some nerve. You get to cut some small PCB traces.

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #19,969 of 24,807
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649021466-stax_sr007_mkii_electrostatic_earspeakers/

Good looking deal, shipping and fees included.

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #19,971 of 24,807
Quote:
I remeasured the 27kOhm resistors and they all read 26.7kOhm give or take (not sure how I managed to get my earlier reading). A few other resistors seemed to measure low (R123-R126 measure ~230kOhm instead of 300kOhm). I took a few pics in case there's a list of caps/resistors/diodes for my particular version handy. What parts would be the most likely cause for the offset/balance to not adjust properly? Would it just be a good idea to replace the caps & any resistors that measure poorly?

First thing, that bias supply is not stock and not sure how that one is supposed to work without the voltage doubler.  The second is the balance pot isn't the balance and the offset isn't the offset on this amp, they are reversed.  They that and see how you fare. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #19,972 of 24,807
Quote:

First thing, that bias supply is not stock and not sure how that one is supposed to work without the voltage doubler.  The second is the balance pot isn't the balance and the offset isn't the offset on this amp, they are reversed.  They that and see how you fare. 

Trying the pots in reverse worked like a charm, thanks. Also I could take more pics of the board in case a voltage doubler was just tucked away if you want. Or could it be that this is a srm-1/mk2 pro or PP in an old case?

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #19,973 of 24,807
One quick question: Will the Woo Audio GES good enough to drive the SR-007 MK2? What would be the best bang for the buck amp to drive them properly assuming that BHSE Hawaii or amps that cost the same are out of question? 

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #19,974 of 24,807
Wise man once told me...

Woo GES for tubes

Stax 323S for solid state

Now if you can get your hands on a KGSS or KGSSHV then the 323S is irrelevant :wink:

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #19,975 of 24,807
Quote:
One quick question: Will the Woo Audio GES good enough to drive the SR-007 MK2? What would be the best bang for the buck amp to drive them properly assuming that BHSE Hawaii or amps that cost the same are out of question? 

From my experience (as an owner of both) the GES is fine with the MK2, but I do recommend a modest tube upgrade for the GES (Mullard reissue 12AX7 and Sylvania NOS 6S4As).  The Mullards are audibly better than the Tung Sols.  I haven't tried the Gold Lion 12AX7 reissues.  The GES+MK2 pairing is still better than most LCD2.2 rigs.

Reportedly the base KGSS is pretty decent with the MK2 but I haven't heard it, and it can be a wait to find a used unit.  If you've got DIY chops, the KGSSHV is worth investigating.

Otherwise, like Solude said, GES for tubes, or the 323S for SS, for that price range.

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #19,976 of 24,807
SRM-313 won't cut it? 

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #19,977 of 24,807
I don't have the MK2, just the MK1's... but I feel that my SRM-1 MKII Pro does fine with my MK2's. Then again I haven't heard anything better... but compared to my mid-fi dynamic rigs I don't feel the combo falls behind at all sonically (WA6SE/HD800/LCD-2), it's better in fact. SRM-1's are usually <$500 used.. it's likely one of the cheapest "usable amp" with the Omegas which is why I am mentioning it... but then again there's also the age factor to worry about with that amp... nonetheless, for such a cheap amp (relatively of course...) I feel quite satisfied.  Perhaps worth thinking about if you are thinking of going the KGSS/BHSE route eventually anyway and saving up, but need something in the meantime... which is what I'm doing.

Otherwise, I've heard the best budget compromise currently in production is the 323s.

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #19,978 of 24,807
Haha I just sold my SRM-1/MK2 to a local head-fier here :) 

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #19,979 of 24,807
Best budget compromise is a KGSS considering  they are out of style and pop up more frequently second hand.I am on my first hour of listening to a older Headamp KGSS and I think it is a good step up from the 717 and the minimum bar for starting to show what the O2's are capable of. My Sigma pro's are sounding a lot better on the KGSS also.

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #19,980 of 24,807
Anybody with a KGSS/KGSSHV and/or KGBH/BHSE here from around Melbourne (Australia)? I would love to see if I'm missing out on anything that would be audible/noticeable enough to me vs. my current combination..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back