The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #19,876 of 24,807
Quote:
Is there actually anyone on this planet who prefers the SR-007 MK II to the previous SR-007s? It just puzzles me that Stax actually downgraded their best phones sonically and doing pretty much doing nothing about it. 

Well, you're already received the responses I would expect.  Please let me share a different position from my perspective. 

A few years back, I purchased an SR-007A (Mk II) from Price Japan, along with an SRM-007tA.  A number of people on this forum insisted that this combo was badly flawed.  I did what any self-respecting, obsessive Head-Fier would do -- I purchased an SR-007 Mk I along with an SRM-717 directly from Japan -- both in mint condition.  I was amazed at how little difference there actually was between the older and newer Stax vs. what I heard on this forum.  While I did prefer the Mk I and the 717 sometimes with some music, I also liked the Mk II and the 007tA as well.  Recently, I questioned the wisdom of having both sets, given the dollars invested as well as the infrequent use, and ended up selling the Mk I and 717, keeping the newer Stax.  The sole reason for selling the Mk I and 717 instead of the newer Stax was simply due to the higher perceived value on this forum.  I could be happy forever with either set.

The differences that are sometimes expressed here on Head-Fi may be real, but are often highly exaggerated.  Both versions of the Stax Omegas are excellent headphones and are far better than most dynamics.  Let your own ears be the judge and don't depend solely on the opinions of others.

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #19,877 of 24,807
I had an earlier post requesting comments / descriptions of the sound of the different SR-007 versions  - no one responded

I'm still hoping someone will post responses to the following:

SR-007 MK I  SOUND IS ......?..... in comparison to MK 2 and MK 2.5 

-or-

SR-007  MK I  SOUND QUALITY DESCRIPTION:.......?
SR-007  MK 2  SOUND QUALITY DESCRIPTION:.......?
SR-007  MK 2.5  SOUND QUALITY DESCRIPTION:.......?

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #19,878 of 24,807
That's really helpful WilCox. Thank you for your input. I greatly appreciate it. I hope more people will chime in to answer milosz question as well. 

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #19,880 of 24,807
That's really helpful WilCox. Thank you for your input. I greatly appreciate it. I hope more people will chime in to answer milosz question as well. 

I recently listened for a week to a MKI with my SRM-600LTD: it was lovely, and tonally very similar to the 009. Imaging was especially good.
I couldn't buy because the seller wanted to sell the amp as well.
So I've asked a local dealer to have a home demo of the new MK2(.5): I was expecting these headphones to sound like crap after reading the stories on this forum.
I ended up with buying them! There are some differences, the mk2 is darker, but to these ears are minimal, partly due to the amplification.

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #19,881 of 24,807
Quote:
Well I know that Jude has been to Japan before.  I am going to Tokyo on a vacation; but wouldn't mind trying to get a factory tour of Stax. I now have a photojournalist press pass; so I thought it would be really cool to start a new project.  My work is not necessarily for Headfi.org solely.  I also write for The Audiophile Club of Athens as well as starting my own website/Webzine- THE EXPLORATION PROJECT.  I am going as a freelancer' but since I am also a member of Headfi, I wouldn't mind sharing my photos and words as well.  It's just not an exclusive for headfi.org

It turns out I could have a chat with Stax about this during the fall headphone festival in Tokyo this week end (see link in my sig) and they were open to the idea! It would need to be limited to 1-2 hours and obviously there's only so much they could show. But if you're going to do a report for head-fi here, we could possibly arrange a visit. I could help with the translation else look for someone like sasaki to tag along. Obviously, this requires planning so please get in touch with me in advance if you're keen on this. Would you have links to your previous articles and website, google search didn't turn out too hot.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #19,882 of 24,807
In a nutshell:

Mk1 early version:  Super smooth sound with the best midrange and bass of any headphone, top end a bit dark unless you drive it properly. 
Mk1 later version:  Not quite a smooth and the bass is a bit uneven but these are small differences.  Better materials all around so these will last longer. 
Mk2 SZ2 version:  Same basic sound signature but with a slight upper midrange/lower treble coloration and the bass is all over the place depending on how the earpads are placed.  Once you plug the port and lower the earpad height they are very close to the later Mk1 but a bit more forward. 
Mk2 SZ3 version:  Stax never told anybody about the design change but these have the port design changed a bit and the spring height inside the earpads has also been tweaked.  The main change is the new diaphragm material though and the difference is huge (just check out the measurements).  The smooth sound is gone and it its place is a etched midrange, uneven topend and a bass that while is tighter then an unmodded SZ2, is also much less linear. 

Not even remotely the first time Stax have released a major blunder and going by the track record, it will take years until they own up and release a new model. 

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #19,883 of 24,807
Quote:
I recently listened for a week to a MKI with my SRM-600LTD: it was lovely, and tonally very similar to the 009. Imaging was especially good.
I couldn't buy because the seller wanted to sell the amp as well.
So I've asked a local dealer to have a home demo of the new MK2(.5): I was expecting these headphones to sound like crap after reading the stories on this forum.
I ended up with buying them! There are some differences, the mk2 is darker, but to these ears are minimal, partly due to the amplification.

I've ever heard the 007mk2 or the SRM-600LTD, but l did have the 007mk1 + SRM-007t and wasn't impressed with that combo.
After hearing IanG's 007mk1 with my BHSE, I'm regretting letting the 007mk1's l had go.
I did hear Ian's LL with his 007's at the same time as my BHSE and the SQ was pretty even, however at that time both amps hadn't been on power for long, since then l've learnt the BHSE sounds a lot better after it's been on power for and above an hour. 
I haven't heard Ian's LL after it's been on power for over an hour so l can't comment on that amp.

I'm sure you're very happy with your 007mk2 + SRM-600LTD Massi, but when you've the spare time you should get to hear your 007's with the BHSE or LL, get in touch with Ian and we can make that happen.

P.S. I've got on order the Aristaeus to use with my 009's, but 'I've read it doesn't drive the 007's that well with it being less powerful than the BHSE.

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #19,884 of 24,807
I imagine the BHSE yields better sound when warmed up. The LL certainly does. Alex states 30 minutes in his manual but after listening for myself I'd say an hour is when it opens up. 

Quote:
since then l've learnt the BHSE sounds a lot better after it's been on power for and above an hour. 
I haven't heard Ian's LL after it's been on power for over an hour so l can't comment on that amp.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #19,885 of 24,807
Wow, you guys are really in the stratosphere. I just broke the bank and got a set of Lambda Signatures with an SRM-T1 both in mint condition. My first non-ipod headphones. I'm really loving the sound especially the spacial aspect. We moved into a smaller place last month and I had to give up my Quad ESLs and I've been desperate without music so I took the plunge. Front end is all analog: Amazon Model 2 with a Moerch UP4 feeding into an ASR Basis Exclusive phono which plugs directly into the T1. I'm very happy except the sound is a bit drier than I'm used to with the Quads out in the open air. After researching here, I ordered a set of Toshiba 6CG7s and will have Stax USA install them next week and look over the T1. I'd be thrilled to hear any other suggestions. Not sure how to post a photo yet but here's a link. It's a temporary setup until construction is done and then the table goes on a wall shelf and everything else on some sort of rack.

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #19,886 of 24,807
Sorry to slant the topic. Does anyone have a pdf of the Omega 2 MK2 manual? I bought mine recently second hand, and though I have the case I don't have the manual.
Any chance someone can scan it and post it on the web, or pm me, and I can supply an email address.

One thing I am curious is the fart noise on removing. Was it resolved, as I get a (slight) noise if I remove them a bit quickly.
Also I am curious about the port. Where is it? And If I block it up, does it change the sound (bass). I am real happy with them right now, running with a Tubed Audio Note DAC and Tubed Pre Amp, with the SRM-717. Very smooth and organic, and no fatigue or treble artifacts.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #19,887 of 24,807
Oct 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #19,888 of 24,807
Quote:
Wow, you guys are really in the stratosphere. I just broke the bank and got a set of Lambda Signatures with an SRM-T1 both in mint condition. My first non-ipod headphones. I'm really loving the sound especially the spacial aspect. We moved into a smaller place last month and I had to give up my Quad ESLs and I've been desperate without music so I took the plunge. Front end is all analog: Amazon Model 2 with a Moerch UP4 feeding into an ASR Basis Exclusive phono which plugs directly into the T1. I'm very happy except the sound is a bit drier than I'm used to with the Quads out in the open air. After researching here, I ordered a set of Toshiba 6CG7s and will have Stax USA install them next week and look over the T1. I'd be thrilled to hear any other suggestions. Not sure how to post a photo yet but here's a link. It's a temporary setup until construction is done and then the table goes on a wall shelf and everything else on some sort of rack.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2708/img0528ny.jpg

Just a quick question, do you like the Quad ESLs ? I heard them once in a store and was impressed, but that was a while ago. Thanks.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #19,889 of 24,807
Quote:

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2708/img0528ny.jpg

Probably not worth the money to have them "look at" the amp.  If you can use a screwdriver you can probably replace the tubes yourself.  Also, do you plan on using your fireplace in the future?  I'd make sure to move the headphones far away if so. :)

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #19,890 of 24,807
I guess that's not what I mean by warming up the sound!

I was thinking of taking it in because I'm worried about the biasing process which when I read it here sounded over my head. Is it easier than it sounds? Maybe I should give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back