Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #18,826 of 24,807
Quote:
Nothing that a TB KGSS can’t fix. 
wink.gif

You must mean the KGSSBV

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #18,827 of 24,807
After close to 4 years on Head-Fi I finally received a pair of Stax SR-007 Omega 2 Mk1 original and mint headphones.....
.....and all I can say at the moment is WOW!! - it IS true what they say - I can't talk now as I'm in aural heaven at the moment
and will more than likely stay up until the sun rises . . . again WOW!

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #18,829 of 24,807
Quote:
After close to 4 years on Head-Fi I finally received a pair of Stax SR-007 Omega 2 Mk1 original and mint headphones.....
.....and all I can say at the moment is WOW!! - it IS true what they say - I can't talk now as I'm in aural heaven at the moment
and will more than likely stay up until the sun rises . . . again WOW!

Another convert...
beerchug.gif

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #18,833 of 24,807
Re: Sigma/404 conversion
Tats at Yamasinc/Accutech (or whatever they now call themselves) will do a driver swap, but they don't give a warranty on their work with owner supplied drivers. They seem to have done a good job with mine - I had the 404 driver and cable implanted into the Sigma frame. An exchange of owner supplied drivers wasn't terribly expensive, from memory.
Birgir has mentioned many times that an X07 implant into a Sigma frame is practically impossible without removing the drivers from their compression frame (unique to the X07 series) and gluing them together ala the previous lambdas. The frame will not fit into the Sigma shell, so has to be dispensed with. Gluing the parts of the X07 series drivers together has a high probability of destroying them.

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #18,835 of 24,807
Quote:
Re: Sigma/404 conversion
Tats at Yamasinc/Accutech (or whatever they now call themselves) will do a driver swap, but they don't give a warranty on their work with owner supplied drivers. They seem to have done a good job with mine - I had the 404 driver and cable implanted into the Sigma frame. An exchange of owner supplied drivers wasn't terribly expensive, from memory.
Birgir has mentioned many times that an X07 implant into a Sigma frame is practically impossible without removing the drivers from their compression frame (unique to the X07 series) and gluing them together ala the previous lambdas. The frame will not fit into the Sigma shell, so has to be dispensed with. Gluing the parts of the X07 series drivers together has a high probability of destroying them.

Thanks for the info.

I heard back from Accutech that they no longer offer the 404 driver swap service. They said they didn't have any more of the 404 drivers available, and even if I gave them mine from the set I mentioned they feel the failure rate is too high, so they basically said no. Maybe if I pressed them about it they'd reluctantly do it. However....

On the plus side, I plugged my Sigma Pros back in after several months of disuse... and to my surprise, no more perceptible channel imbalance. ...Huh.

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #18,837 of 24,807
Quote:
Could you guys recommend an affordable and reliable non-Omega headphone to pair with the GES?  I think I'm going to downgrade the GES to a 'lesser' Stax rig once the BHSE comes in.  All the talk of 507 headband issues kind of scared me off.  Something without headband or foam issues would be nice.

Lambda Nova Signature, SR-Lambda, or SR-404LE.  I think they all sound better than SR-507.  Next up would be ESP-950 but I've read reports that they get dust in them easily and squeal.  My HE-60 were more bass lite with GES than my WES, KGSS or KGBH.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #18,838 of 24,807
Thanks!  The Lambda Nova Signature (and Lambda Signature) seems like the most attraction option right now due to consensus, since I don't know anyone local who collects Lambdas.  I'll keep an eye out for a LNS if I keep the GES once the BHSE comes in.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #18,839 of 24,807
Quote:

Thanks for the info.

I heard back from Accutech that they no longer offer the 404 driver swap service. They said they didn't have any more of the 404 drivers available, and even if I gave them mine from the set I mentioned they feel the failure rate is too high, so they basically said no. Maybe if I pressed them about it they'd reluctantly do it. However....

On the plus side, I plugged my Sigma Pros back in after several months of disuse... and to my surprise, no more perceptible channel imbalance. ...Huh.

I don't care what anybody says, those Sigma Pros are mighty good phones - in my opinion at least on a par with the Sigma/404 (I have both and a Lambda Nova Signature)
Accutech did a new 404 driver/cable implant in mine. I thought I had trouble with the drivers, but there was a problem with extreme humidity from evaporative air conditioning + humid weather over here. Channel imbalance disappeared when the evap a/c was left off and the phones dried out.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #18,840 of 24,807
507 has better bass & highs than lambda signature, 
The drums, bass guitars, brasses sound better on 507 

Lambda signature has the magical, lush, liquid mids,
better in violins woodwinds,vocals

it depends what kind of music you listen to

507 needs 700-1000 hours to break in, before that, the mids may sound cold & harsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back