The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #18,706 of 24,807
Hi all
I need to sell my Stax setup and have priced it accordingly :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/615149/stax-sr009-wes-with-upgraded-tubes-pictures-added-price-reduced-to-sell#post_8480027

Jun 23, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #18,707 of 24,807
I know the Stax Mafia here must get deluged with questions from stat newbies like me, but I've posted a question here and in a separate thread, and have had no luck getting an answer. I'm combing through previous posts on this thread using the megathread search, but it's quite huge and, um, waywardly structured.

I just got the amazing 2050A, and here's what I'd like to know. I'd love a little more body and musical flow, and even more dynamics. I'm planning to replace the pads (rotten foam) with the leather ones from the 404LE and thinking about amp upgrades. Looking through this thread, I get the feeling that the sonic differences between Stax amps aren't huge in absolute terms. I surmise that the srm-252 can easily be improved upon, but does putting another thousand dollars+ into a better amp for the Lambdas—like the 323, 006, even SRM1/mk2—make sense? Similarly, is there much to be gained from moving from a 202 to a 404LE? Or is the only meaningful way forward the 02+tube amp?

So--would someone kindly chime in? Pretty please?

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #18,708 of 24,807
I'm not so much an expert on Stax, but investing a large amount of money to upgrade the amp while leaving the headphones as-is seems a bit pointless. I would first try a headphone higher up the Lambda chain, either the 407 or 507 (or buy used and get the older models). If you still want more from that point onward you can always upgrade your amp.
From what I know the Lambda series headphones do sound relatively similar, so the upgrade between them may not be as huge as one'd like it to be. However I do believe the upgrade will be bigger than upgrading to a similarly priced amp.

Jun 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #18,709 of 24,807
Quote:
I know the Stax Mafia here must get deluged with questions from stat newbies like me, but I've posted a question here and in a separate thread, and have had no luck getting an answer. I'm combing through previous posts on this thread using the megathread search, but it's quite huge and, um, waywardly structured.

I just got the amazing 2050A, and here's what I'd like to know. I'd love a little more body and musical flow, and even more dynamics. I'm planning to replace the pads (rotten foam) with the leather ones from the 404LE and thinking about amp upgrades. Looking through this thread, I get the feeling that the sonic differences between Stax amps aren't huge in absolute terms. I surmise that the srm-252 can easily be improved upon, but does putting another thousand dollars+ into a better amp for the Lambdas—like the 323, 006, even SRM1/mk2—make sense? Similarly, is there much to be gained from moving from a 202 to a 404LE? Or is the only meaningful way forward the 02+tube amp?

So--would someone kindly chime in? Pretty please?

The 202 are really limited by the amp in the 2050a. You will notice a big change moving up to a srm1mk2,t1, or 323. I really don't think you would need more than that as lambdas are easy to drive.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #18,710 of 24,807
Quote:
The 202 are really limited by the amp in the 2050a. You will notice a big change moving up to a srm1mk2,t1, or 323. I really don't think you would need more than that as lambdas are easy to drive.

I compared the 202 playing from the 252 vs the KGSSHV, it's not much difference unless you're really pushing the volume. It's only 'slightly' less 'compressed sounding' when you push it.

The little 252 is a great amp for the 202's.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #18,711 of 24,807
Well it's happened. The inevitable.  I've sort of been part of the junior mafia with the PWB's ( with Stax SR-1 or 2 drivers according to Spritzer ), SR-50, SR-5, ooops also the SR-001 MK2 portables ( and numerous other electrets ) now I got my promotion to meagre low ranking street-level enforcer ( due to continued ties to the ortho side ).
ph34r.gif

There's a couple of SRD-7 Pro Adapters and a nice Lambda Nova Classic due in the next few days. This was owned or passed through Spritzer's hands at one point.

The big bias world.
Going to be interesting.
 I hear it gets worse from here on in. Was hoping it will hold me off for at least a year or two.

Well isn't this fitting:  My 1000th post is right here now.
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #18,712 of 24,807
What is the mafia ranking? Do you need SR-009s to be in the top ranks? :)

Oh, I found a set of 4070s for a good price, really looking forward to hearing how they perform. I imagine the SRM-717 will be sufficient to drive them, since that was the amp Stax paired them with.

Jun 24, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #18,713 of 24,807
Well it's happened. The inevitable.  I've sort of been part of the junior mafia with the PWB's ( with Stax SR-1 or 2 drivers ), SR-50, SR-5, ooops also the SR-001 MK2 portables ( and numerous other electrets ) now I got my promotion to meagre low ranking street-level enforcer ( due to continued ties to the ortho side ).:ph34r:
There's a couple of SRD-7 Pro Adapters and a nice Lambda Nova Classic due in the next few days. This was owned or passed through Spritzer's hands at one point.

The big bias world.
Going to be interesting.
 I hear it gets worse from here on in. Was hoping it will hold me off for at least a year or two.

Well isn't this fitting:  My 1000th post is right here now. :beerchug:

Oh, that's nice. I always wanted to try the Nova Classics, generally speaking how do they compare with the current Lambda line?

Congrats on 1000.

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #18,714 of 24,807
Quote:

I compared the 202 playing from the 252 vs the KGSSHV, it's not much difference unless you're really pushing the volume. It's only 'slightly' less 'compressed sounding' when you push it.

Hey deadly, does the HV scale better with other Stax phones?
I can’t tear myself away from the O2/KGSSHV

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #18,716 of 24,807
Quote:
Hey deadly, does the HV scale better with other Stax phones?
I can’t tear myself away from the O2/KGSSHV

I can't really tell ya, I only have the O2's and 202's, but I do think the KGSSHV is overkill for the SR-202's.

Yeah, the O2 does play great on the KGSSHV, especially when you start pushing the volume. 
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #18,717 of 24,807
Quote:
I can't hear you man! 
I am listening to mine.
o2smile.gif

biggrin.gif

Quote:

I can't really tell ya, I only have the O2's and 202's, but I do think the KGSSHV is overkill for the SR-202's.

Yeah, the O2 does play great on the KGSSHV, especially when you start pushing the volume. 
tongue.gif

The only comparison I have to evaluate from was Toms BUFF32 / KGSS / O2(SZ) from the last meet up here in the mountains.  
My BUFF32 / KGSSHV / O2(MK1) sounds like a different animal... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #18,718 of 24,807
Quote:

Huh, disagreement. So maybe there's not much to be gained from an amp upgrade? And spritzer says the 202s are one of the best lambdas, up there with 404LE and Lambda Sigs. Anyone else care to weigh in?

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #18,720 of 24,807
In order of 'spaciousness' - SR 007 (least) --> SR 507 --> SR009 (most). SR009 is very HD-800ish in this respect, being open-sounding and spherical at the same time. The SR507 is relatively more 'planar' in that you can feel the sound is coming from the two drivers beside your head. As a result the center image is a little diffuse-sounding (pushed more to the left and right). The SR007 has excellent center focus. Not so sure about the 009 regarding this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back