The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #18,181 of 24,807
Quote:
I use the SR-007 and 323 (for classical music only) and I had to train myself to listen around 5 max in order to avoid getting my ears sore. I just ordered a pair of SR-009. I'll let you know whether they are better with that regard. I suspect they are! 

I'm sure the 009 are better in that regard. My doubt is with the O2, It would help if some one with a KGSS/HV or a BHSE would chim in.

May 5, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #18,182 of 24,807
Quote:
I'm sure the 009 are better in that regard. My doubt is with the O2, It would help if some one with a KGSS/HV or a BHSE would chim in.

It would also be great to hear more people who have either the KGSS/HV or the BHSE and do not think that the 009 is too bright. I know that those people exist, it just seems sometimes that only those who find a brightness issue post comments here!

May 5, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #18,183 of 24,807
It's all very subjective and the O2 will of course reveal any issues upstream but i certainly had a ton of piercing  upper mid and treble when i underamped mine thru a SRD-7 adapter (with some Crimson monoblocks). With the KGSS- No problem of that sort, just very balanced and well behaved (to say the least...) higer range across.

May 5, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #18,184 of 24,807
Quote:
Sell the SR-007, keep the SR-009 and get the 727, they pair extremely well together. In my opinion this will be superior than a BHSE/SR-007 combo (from what others have said, not my own personal experience)

I agree. That's what I would do…  

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #18,185 of 24,807
Quote:
It would also be great to hear more people who have either the KGSS/HV or the BHSE and do not think that the 009 is too bright. I know that those people exist, it just seems sometimes that only those who find a brightness issue post comments here!

I think once the remainder of this batch of BHSE are shipped that you will find many impressions of that combo with the 009.

At this level of resolution I feel the brightness issue is a moving target: First and foremost it will be dictated by the recording/mastering which is all over the map, and secondly the quality and signature of ones source and ancillary components.

One thing I have found in the many years involved with this hobby is that most audiophiles perception of what live unamplified music sounds like and what their playback systems are reproducing are often on two entirely different planes.

Case in point; Stand in front of a live big-band playing at full throttle, the resulting sound can literally make ones neck hairs stand up. The majority of audiophiles that would audition a system truly capable of reproducing that sheer amount of energy I wager would say it was "bright" sounding. 

May 5, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #18,186 of 24,807
Who are these people that have simultaneously owned the SR-007, SR-009, 727, and BHSE, and have said the SR-009 mates better with the 727 than the SR-007 does with the BHSE? I hope the comment isn't referring to people that have heard them briefly at meets. There are people that do actually prefer the 007 to the 009. And if that's the case, what amp should they be using?

May 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #18,187 of 24,807
Hi

Waiting for my SR-009+SRM-727 combo to arrive. Time is passing soooo slow.
smile.gif

I'm going to use them with Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC. What do you think? Is ECD-1 good enough to use with SR-009?

May 5, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #18,188 of 24,807
I think once the remainder of this batch of BHSE are shipped that you will find many impressions of that combo with the 009.

At this level of resolution I feel the brightness issue is a moving target: First and foremost it will be dictated by the recording/mastering which is all over the map, and secondly the quality and signature of ones source and ancillary components.

One thing I have found in the many years involved with this hobby is that most audiophiles perception of what live unamplified music sounds like and what their playback systems are reproducing are often on two entirely different planes.

Case in point; Stand in front of a live big-band playing at full throttle, the resulting sound can literally make ones neck hairs stand up. The majority of audiophiles that would audition a system truly capable of reproducing that sheer amount of energy I wager would say it was "bright" sounding. 

+1. So true.

May 5, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #18,190 of 24,807
Quote:
Can someone please explain what the Pawel HP-1 does exactly? I just read some review of the O2 and the 717 with the Pawel HP-1, but it is describing what it does only for rock music... Is it something which would do something good for classical music as well? Thanks.

It's an equalizer with numerous frequency networks to basically counter the natural output of the transducer and thus create an "out of head" experience.  In practice you take the transducer and measure it, crunch the numbers and adjust the equalizer to set the correct FR points and how quickly it falls/rises.  Similar to what the RIAA EQ does with vinyl and it is also "lossy" in the same way as you are always loosing some information. 

May 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #18,191 of 24,807
Quote:

It's an equalizer with numerous frequency networks to basically counter the natural output of the transducer and thus create an "out of head" experience.  In practice you take the transducer and measure it, crunch the numbers and adjust the equalizer to set the correct FR points and how quickly it falls/rises.  Similar to what the RIAA EQ does with vinyl and it is also "lossy" in the same way as you are always loosing some information. 

Thanks Spritzer. It doesn't sound very good! Why on earth one would like to use that? 

May 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #18,192 of 24,807
It would also be great to hear more people who have either the KGSS/HV or the BhSE and do not think that the 009 is too bright. I know that those people exist, it just seems sometimes that only those who find a brightness issue post comments here!

Before I bought my Stax Srm 727 Mk2 , I have tried for my Stax Sr 007 Mk2 with KGSS , but I do
Not like the Sound Quality , look like underpowered for my Stax Sr 007 Mk2.
I email the Stax Distro in Hong Kong and Singapore , what kind if Stax Amolifier has better. Power and Impact for my Stax Sr 007 Mk2.They suggest to buy Stax Srm 727 Mk2.

The reason I bought Stax Srm 727 Mk 2 , I can use Stax Srm 727 Mk2 as Power Amp and can drive with my Tube Pre Amp T+ A. P 10.2 from Germany .

Stax Sr 007 Mk 2 plus Stax Srm 727 Mk2 sound is better compare to Stax Sr 007 Mk 2 plus KGSS.More balance and has better impact .

For the best sounding Stax Sr 007 Mk 2 I ever heard to date , if I make my Stax Srm 727 Mk2 as
Power Amp and drive with my Tube Pre Amp T+A. P 10.2

Please see my personal impression below :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608775/impression-stax-007-mk2-srm-727-mk2-as-active-speaker-drive-with-tube-pre-amp-t-a-p-10-2

May 5, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #18,193 of 24,807
I beg to differ. There's no way kgss is underpowered vs 727. If you use your pre amp, then the 727 is just a transformer box relaying the power frm your pre amp. I put my money on kgss vs 727 anytime of the day.........

May 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #18,194 of 24,807
What are the specific differences between the circuits of the KGGS and current Stax amps?  A lot of people are shooting from the hip, but I would be very interested in the substantive differences between the various designs. 

May 6, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #18,195 of 24,807
Power is one. Even though on paper but it translate to reality. For kgss vs 727, the power output is 1200v peak to peak vs 450v rms. Even though its different convention, kgss is still bigger if you translate to rms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back