The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #18,121 of 24,807
I leave mine plugged in all the time to a seperate little box with the always on bias board.
Then i unplug and plug into the amplifier for listening.  I've done it this way for years.

I do have a whole house electrostatic air cleaner, and its a no smoking house.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #18,122 of 24,807
Thanks Kev.. But what is this bias box? I am not aware of such a gadget in the market>>!!? Is it expensive to buy? As it is I have left my 507 connected to the 323s all te time.. n the 323s is on all the time. both are fairly new... 5 months old . thanks.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #18,123 of 24,807
spritzer did a board run, a while back, justin also did a board run a while ago.
You can make one yourself fairly easily, there is nothing commercial unless
you want to use a srd5 or srd7 which work just fine for this.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #18,124 of 24,807

Quote:
Well, been listening tonight and i have to say I do like it. It sounds like my SLI-80 is driving my 007s directly. Perhaps a very slight loss of detail compared to the SRM-717, but I expected that. It's worth it to get that lush Cary sound. I'll do more listening, but I think it'll be great to have SS and tube options for these amazing cans.

Congratulation on your WEE purchase. The WEE is just the exciter that provides the bias 580v. charge to the 007and if coupled to the right amp will out perform most individual electrostatic amps . As I have mentioned before if you like the sound of the Cary SLI-80, than you will enjoy the performance. I had a Cary 300SE prior to my Woo WA-5 and enjoyed it every much.

Enjoy music!

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #18,125 of 24,807

Quote:

Bingo.  x3

Umm, you strategically cut out the "and the WES or A10 with the 009." from my quote. This changes the meaning and context of what I was ultimately trying to hint at (see below), but didn't want to say directly. Nice try, but you can't pull that kind of crap off with me so easily. 
biggrin.gif
 Then again, you are probably try to squeeze certain things out of me that may piss off other people.

In contrast to the "007+BHSE" and "009+WES/A10" which been so often quoted that it's starting to be ingrained as "the way to go" into everyone's head, I wanted to throw in a different approach: a DAC change instead of an amp change. I am not yet totally convinced that the BHSE + 009 always equates with a lean or bass-lite sound simply because I do not have enough experience. Yes, we've heard n3rdling's setup a few times, and his DAC is on the warm side of things, but we haven't lived with it, nor have we tried other DACs with his BH. As you know, even the ultimate STAX amp sounded lean with the SR009 until we found a certain data transport/DAC combination.

I'm not necessarily a huge advocate of the BHSE from an absolute point of view, but it does a more than a few things very well. It sounds clear, it's transparent, and it has a very good control over the driver. No boomy bass, no out of control midrange. And the BHSE does these do things much better than most other 'stat amps. And you know from our tinkering around, experiments, and exposure to various types of amps what lots of capacitors or other reactive components in the signal path will do to the sound. It kills transparency and makes things veiled if not all fuzzy.

What I am getting at it is that it would be shame to restrict what the 009 can do by going with a less transparent amp for the sake of better tonal balance. So perhaps we should consider "the change the source approach" instead of the "change the amp approach" - at least try this approach a little bit more before we finally give up and make the "009+BHSE = lean" assumption. The 009 is all about hyper-transparency, clarity, articulation. Perhaps not the a perfect analogy, but I feel that matching the 009 with the WES or A10 is the 'stat equivalent of matching the HD800 with the Leben to cure the HD800's ills. And I know exactly how you feel about that combo (that the cure also kills what the HD800 does best.)

Finally in closing, perhaps those who do not agree with the 009's tonality should simply stick with the 007. Unless it's a matter of prestige or "whatever costs the most" must be the best. Heck, I'm still on the fence about the 009s.

P.S. We'll get the chance to mix and match my stuff with n3rdling's stuff and figure it out in a few weeks.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #18,126 of 24,807
Thanks.. Wonder when Another run will be made.... I will want to get a unit from them..!!! Thanks for info... great help.! Hope Spritzer or Justin can inform me when they next have some units available..!! Cheers. to all Staxians on this blog...

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #18,127 of 24,807

Quote:
Thanks.. Wonder when Another run will be made.... I will want to get a unit from them..!!! Thanks for info... great help.! Hope Spritzer or Justin can inform me when they next have some units available..!! Cheers. to all Staxians on this blog...

I'll go in with one too for a group buy!

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #18,128 of 24,807
P.S. We'll get the chance to mix and match my stuff with n3rdling's stuff and figure it out in a few weeks

Looking forward to this! My complain with impressions so far is they come from meet environment where it's simply not possible to go beyond rough cut impressions. The source itself being different in most cases is a major influence imho because while I experienced magical moment at meets with some rigs, it has pretty much systematically been when the amp and headphones were fed by a quality source. Conversely, I often have been diseappointed by some headphones or amps while the source was so so. Most impressions I read about the 009/you_name_it_amp don't mention the source and even less the source material, which is a problem.

Anyhow, I am thus looking forward to some more rigorous investigation in a controlled environment. Having said that, regardless of my DAC beeing notoriously smooth, and the 727 amp supposed to be warmer than other amps, my 009 still sounds edgy / agressive when fed with less than stellar recordings or listened to louder volume than usual (I don't listen loud typically). In that sense, if the BHSE and other KGSSHV do tighten up the loose ends on the omega 2, I certainly can imagine one would spend as much time if not more time with the O2 rig (and use the 009 only for those recordings that deserve it...)

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #18,129 of 24,807

Quote:

My reply was specific to gear I framed in my post and to the poster I quoted.  
wink.gif

I'll reserve some of my minor divergent opinions till further testing can be conducted.  Leanness was one issue that could be attributed to a source, assuming the source was in fact lean.  In the case he refers to I didn't see brightness being what he was getting at but I'll let him speak to that.  I don't think brightness and leanness always go hand in hand.  It is a detailed and transparent amp so never had a problem w/ that.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #18,130 of 24,807

Quote:
New headphones, or ones that have been sitting a month need
a day or two to charge. Fact of life.

I did find (and noted on the thread about amps for the 009) that after letting them run for a day or so, the 009s (with my 007t/ii amp) transformed basically, with the highs becoming more natural and gorgeous and sweet, and the bass really falling into place 
(now deep, transparent, detailed, and very satisfying). I now think the sound of the 009s with my Stax amp is just off the charts, with no upgrade needed for fear something in the superb sound I hear might be disturbed.

But yep, the break-in worked wonders.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #18,131 of 24,807
Interesting observation. The 009s did sound more and more warm and lush toward the end of the day at a meet that a few of us were at. Perhaps it was this in combination with switching equipment around to find the right synergies.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #18,132 of 24,807
imo when you come from a dynamic headphone like the LCD's or HE's to the 009's, it takes about a week for your brain to become sensitive to all the detail and dynamic swings of a combo like the 727/009.

As far as DAC's and source players go, I like the ES9018 Dac chip if properly implemented in the DAC, very crisp and fast. Using a Supernova 6 optical (1/2M) and a pair of  Eclipse 6 XLR interconnects (1M) I don't think hurts, but I would think you can find something as good for a lot less.

As far as electrostatic build-up goes I use my P5 and its clean feature to take care of that. However I don't worry much about any electrostatic build-up because it can happen fairly fast, so I just go with the flow (so to speak).

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #18,133 of 24,807

Quote:
I did find (and noted on the thread about amps for the 009) that after letting them run for a day or so, the 009s (with my 007t/ii amp) transformed basically, with the highs becoming more natural and gorgeous and sweet, and the bass really falling into place 
(now deep, transparent, detailed, and very satisfying). I now think the sound of the 009s with my Stax amp is just off the charts, with no upgrade needed for fear something in the superb sound I hear might be disturbed.

But yep, the break-in worked wonders.

My 007t/i and O2 mk1 sound better to me after being left on 24 hours than they do after even a whole evening's worth of warm up. With a subtly smoother and more natural sound - even though that combination already sounds pretty smooth to start with.

I came across this by accident when I simply forgot to switch the amp off one evening. When I started listening the following evening, I went "wow", as I wasn't expecting any difference.

I think it is the amp, not the phones, that benefited from that extended warm up period - because I repeated this, but this time left the phones disconnected overnight.

Many people claim that amps benefit from extended warm up periods, but it's not something I intend to test with my upcoming BHSE!

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #18,134 of 24,807

Quote:
New headphones, or ones that have been sitting a month need
a day or two to charge. Fact of life.

I know my Quad ESL-57's take a long time to charge up.

The diaphragms are coated with a material that, while conductive, has quite a high resistance.  (Meg-ohms per inch if I recall...)  You figure your RC time constant to reach full charge- yeah it's gonna take a while.  

The idea is you don't want the charge to easily move around on the diaphragm. I think if the charge were free to move quickly around,  when the diaphragm is pulled towards one stator or the other, all the charge would migrate to the center of the diaphragm 'cause it's marginally closer to the stator. The diaphragm stretches into a somewhat curved or domed shape at full excursion, with the center of the diaphragm slightly closer to the stator than the outer edge.  You'd get a weird nonlinear response if you had the charge moving around freely on the diaphragm, and arcing might happen a bit more readily too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back