The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #18,031 of 24,807
OK thanks, i guess i have a defective cable? I questioned the original owner, the cable is dark grey, I've never seen one like it. As for the sound its like the power drops and the headphones become a transistor radio with a two inch speaker that's scratchy and tinny. weird huh? They start off fine and then lose it after thirty or so seconds. The Sr5 takes a just that long to run out of steam and the nb Lambda never really energizes correctly. I'm running the srd6 from a great american sound power amp and a tube preamp; plenty of juice! Without the extension cable everything sounds great.
Spritzer I saw the rebuilds of the Stax12s (bookmarked on another computer, idk) you did on another forum; that was beautiful

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #18,032 of 24,807

Quote:
OK thanks, i guess i have a defective cable? I questioned the original owner, the cable is dark grey, I've never seen one like it. As for the sound its like the power drops and the headphones become a transistor radio with a two inch speaker that's scratchy and tinny. weird huh? They start off fine and then lose it after thirty or so seconds. The Sr5 takes a just that long to run out of steam and the nb Lambda never really energizes correctly. I'm running the srd6 from a great american sound power amp and a tube preamp; plenty of juice! Without the extension cable everything sounds great.
Spritzer I saw the rebuilds of the Stax12s (bookmarked on another computer, idk) you did on another forum; that was beautiful

Did you plug the phones directly into the energizers? If there is normal sound, the extension cable is your problem. There were 2 extension cables released with 5 pins on one end and a 6 pin socket on the other. The brown one had higher purity copper than the grey one. Take care never to plug the cable into a pro bias output when you are running a normal bias phone - damage may possibly result (yes, I did this myself, fortunately with no audible damage). They changed to a flat cable with pro bias pin configuration (5 pins) probably to avoid just that happening.

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #18,033 of 24,807
 Both my nb phones still work just fine. Even the SR5 blows away every dynamic and ortho phone I have, Not that the others have no merit just not as good. Up to this point I've just plugged into six pin sockets; all normal bias. The only thing left to try is an SRD4 which is a normal bias with five pin socket which matches the five pin of the plug. I'll do it in the AM and post a result. What I should have looked for was a six pin / six socket extension.....well, you can never have too much Stax stuff. In this case having an unused SRD4 might be a good thing. The plug on the SR80 is five pins and works fine in my six socket transformers......

Once I get the SRM-1 MK2 straightened out I'll get some PRO bias headphones.... won't that be fun.

Edit: Further testing
Ok, next day plugged into an SRD4 (thats a five prong socket) nothing, just as tinny as before. It reminds me of when I'd wired an adapter to run a transformer out of a preamp from the headphone output, worked but sounded distant. oh well.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #18,034 of 24,807
Looking for some advice from headfi members.

I used to own an ES-1 amp and I had Lambda Signature headphones as one pair of my headphones.   They were the most open and detailed headphones I ever heard- but those upper frequencies caused ear pain.  I had to part with them because of that.

I now have a BHSE and sold my ES-1.   I am thinking of retrying those incredible lambda Signatures.   On the BHSE would the upper frequencies be more tamed, or even brighter than the ES-1?

Also-   how else would the sound signature be effected?

I woud appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance..

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #18,038 of 24,807

Quote:
 Both my nb phones still work just fine. Even the SR5 blows away every dynamic and ortho phone I have, Not that the others have no merit just not as good. Up to this point I've just plugged into six pin sockets; all normal bias. The only thing left to try is an SRD4 which is a normal bias with five pin socket which matches the five pin of the plug. I'll do it in the AM and post a result. What I should have looked for was a six pin / six socket extension.....well, you can never have too much Stax stuff. In this case having an unused SRD4 might be a good thing. The plug on the SR80 is five pins and works fine in my six socket transformers......

Once I get the SRM-1 MK2 straightened out I'll get some PRO bias headphones.... won't that be fun.

Ok, next day plugged into an SRD4 (thats a five prong socket) nothing, just as tinny as before. It reminds me of when I'd wired an adapter to run a transformer out of a preamp from the headphone output, worked but sounded distant. oh well.

The SRD-4 is a special case; it was bundled only with electrets (which also use 5-pin plugs), so it probably doesn't supply a bias voltage for the diaphragm like all the other SRD-series transformer boxes. I'm surprised that non-electret Stax models even function at all out of them.

Apr 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #18,039 of 24,807
Dear Stax lovers,

I want to sell some of my stax equipment via ebay.  Where is the right place to announce that?

(CA-Z, SRM1.Mk2PP)

Regards Georg

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #18,040 of 24,807
Dear Stax lovers,

I want to sell some of my stax equipment via ebay.  Where is the right place to announce that?

(CA-Z, SRM1.Mk2PP)

Regards Georg

I don't see anything wrong with announcing it right here in this thread, in fact I don't see why you need to announce it in the first place.
Most of the people interested in buying something like that on this forum will probably notice it once you put it on eBay.

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #18,041 of 24,807
I want just say that I finally got an answer from STAXUSA.com, although not from my first try by their contact form at the site. I got a reply from emailing directly at yamas enterprise. It took some days, but ok.

Before that I tried to contact ellusivedisc.com as someone here pointed out, but they can't be bothered to answer me, as it seems. What's the problem with these american stax dealers anyway? 

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #18,042 of 24,807
Quote:
I want just say that I finally got an answer from STAXUSA.com, although not from my first try by their contact form at the site. I got a reply from emailing directly at yamas enterprise. It took some days, but ok.

Before that I tried to contact ellusivedisc.com as someone here pointed out, but they can't be bothered to answer me, as it seems. What's the problem with these american stax dealers anyway? 

Woo is pretty good.  Jack Wu is well-reputed around these forums as an excellent communicator.

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #18,043 of 24,807

Quote:

Quote:

The SRD-4 is a special case; it was bundled only with electrets (which also use 5-pin plugs), so it probably doesn't supply a bias voltage for the diaphragm like all the other SRD-series transformer boxes. I'm surprised that non-electret Stax models even function at all out of them.

After charging up the stats on the SRM-1 Mk2 there may be some residual bias left on the phones that would get you some tinny sound with the SRD-4.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #18,044 of 24,807
Quote:

Woo is pretty good.  Jack Wu is well-reputed around these forums as an excellent communicator.

This. If I were getting new STAX the only way I'd do it is through Woo, STAXUSA is worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back