The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #17,973 of 24,807

Quote:
spritzer its seems you always finding some fault with Woo audio products. However regardless of your fact finding mission I have a WEE and it works quite well with the right amp. Magick Man if you like the sound of the Cary I would say it will sound fantastic with the Woo Electrostatic Exciter.

Enjoy music!

Simple reason for that, they are badly made with circuits not even remotely mature enough for public use.  Some of them are ok, such as the GES but they also had no hand in the design except messing up the power supply a bit. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #17,975 of 24,807

Quote:
Since it seems that I might have to wait quite a while for a BHSE, I was contemplating getting a SRM 727A along with the SR-009 to get me going for the time being. Is that a decent amp? While I have quite the experience with regular cans and related amps, I'm a total noob when it comes to electrostats.

You might want to wait until Batch 2 gets released - there may be a variety of second hand units hitting the For Sale Forum. If you're planning on ordering the SR-009's from PJ, keep an eye out on the yen. My purchase has gone up about $165 in the last 3 weeks.

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #17,977 of 24,807
Well the deposit is refundable, so no harm there. I'll go with PJ for SR-009 and SRM 727A in the meantime.

Quote:
You might want to wait until Batch 2 gets released - there may be a variety of second hand units hitting the For Sale Forum. If you're planning on ordering the SR-009's from PJ, keep an eye out on the yen. My purchase has gone up about $165 in the last 3 weeks.

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #17,979 of 24,807

Quote:
Thanks Spekkio.. so thats my few days in between business.. ION for the LCD3s and Dark Star.. Jaben.. and now  Music By Design for Stax.. any other great sports to check out Headphone gear?

You have to book a timing with them on Saturdays. They are usually busy on Mon to Fri as they have to send the goods. They are friendly people and have good service :) Have bought a 727II and SR009 there...Waiting for the new stock of 009 to arrive...
You can try Grado headphones here too...
I think those are the only 3 places to try headphones.

By the way to others: there is a left and right balance volume control on the 727II and also 007tII. Is there any on the BHSE or WSE? Maybe thats why people are complaining about the unbalanced sound.

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #17,981 of 24,807

Quote:
Since the issue of the WEE was brought up, it has a couple of major design issues which people should be vary of.  First off is the speaker input switch and how it is implemented.  Stax have always used a switch which would switch both the positive and negative inputs independently for both channels but in the WEE the negative's are all connected together and not switched.  Not really a problem in some cases but if you connect a bridged amp to this setup then it will blow up. 

Second issue is with the bias supply.  Looks like they are using an off the shelf solution which is wholly unsuitable for this role, designed for high frequency use in TV's. 

Is it a CCFL inverter for LCD backlighting? I've wondered about the viability of using them for the output stage of a DIY electrostatic headphone amp. I'm not sure what the typical switching frequency is for those. IIRC, the output waveform is far from resembling a sinewave.

I use a EMCO high voltage DC-DC converter for the bias supply in a DIY transformer box setup. It works well, although it's more expensive and probably better suited for the task than an inverter. What do the step-up transformers in the WEE look like? Off-the-shelf or custom made?

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #17,982 of 24,807
If the WEE doesn't work out what are my other options? The SRD-7 Pro or some of the others that are pro bias?

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #17,983 of 24,807

Quote:
After today it must go up more than $200.  Have you got the 009?

Yep.
L3000.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #17,985 of 24,807
Other options? The 717 listed in your sig. :tongue_smile:

The 717 is fine, but I want to use my Cary amp with them, since I really like the way it sounds. Ya smarta**. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back