The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #17,236 of 24,807
I heard an SR-009 today on a KGSSHV. 

It sounded very good but we were limited in source selection - my trusty old iRiver H120 and Randall's Cowon S9 - it would be interesting to hear it with a balanced dac or a good phono preamp as the source. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #17,238 of 24,807

Quote:
Thanks!

After doing some reading I decided to go for the PS Audio perfectwave with the bridge, we'll see how it pairs with my Woo WES and the SR-009, can't wait!

That's the DAC AMP Phones I have, and I think they all go very well together.  Just stay away from the Shugang 50 Year Treasure 6CA7 tubes.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #17,239 of 24,807
Wonder what the Lambda Pro Signature / SRM-T1 on eBay will go for.  I have a pair of those, and an SRM-T1.  It's a really great combination.  I like the Lambda Signatures better than the Lambdas / Nova Signatures / newer Lambdas I've heard.

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #17,240 of 24,807

Quote:
That's the DAC AMP Phones I have, and I think they all go very well together.  Just stay away from the Shugang 50 Year Treasure 6CA7 tubes.

Ah thanks for the advice I was going to get the tube upgrades, what works best stock tubes or should I look for another upgrade?

Feb 5, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #17,241 of 24,807

Quote:
I will be spending a couple of weeks in Japan in April, and I am wondering whether it is a good opportunity to buy a SR-007. I will be spending my time in Tokyo and Osaka. I would be happy to buy used from a reputable shop. Could anyone recommend a few shops? Are the prices worth the loss of warranty?

My favorite stop for used gear in Japan (Tokyo) is Audio Union.  Their website is http://www.audiounion.jp/index.html

If you want to check their used inventory, just type "stax" in the top search bar.  If you restrict your search to "中古" you will get used only.  The search always pulls up Stax and Vestax, so if you click on the name column after the search, it will sort them out.  The store location is the second to last column.  Looks like there is currently a used 007 and 007A at the Shinjuku location.  Also, if you like classical music at all, the 8th floor shop location is right next to the associated Disk Union classical outlet (and Shinjuku has other Disk Unions as well for rock, punk, jazz, etc nearby).  I'd say that Disk Union has the best used classical selection I've ever seen (Amoeba in LA comes up next, here in Houston the selection is poor).

On one trip I picked up a 252 amp/003 phones at the Ochanomizu location.

Some seem to like Fujiya-Avic (http://fujiya-avic.co.jp/) near the Nakano Station.  I wasn't too impressed.  Doesn't look like they have much in terms of used Stax currently (http://fujiya-avic.co.jp/u-hp.html)

Don't know about Osaka.  The couple of times I've been there have been short stays with no time to look.  These days the big issue with buying in Japan is the weak dollar/euro.  But have fun.  The cherry blossoms may be in full bloom when you are there, and if so, take that in.

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #17,242 of 24,807

Quote:
I've never heard the 001/003 but it seems every person says the same thing about them: they sound fantastic but are very unconfortable.  This is a shame and I hope somebody will decide to make electrostatic IEMs that are comfortable some day.

They are fantastic.  Have a pair along with a pair of 404s.  I use the 003s at work for 2-6 hours a day.  They can be uncomfortable at first after an hour or two, but eventually you get used to them.

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #17,243 of 24,807

Quote:
I heard an SR-009 today on a KGSSHV. 

It sounded very good but we were limited in source selection - my trusty old iRiver H120 and Randall's Cowon S9 - it would be interesting to hear it with a balanced dac or a good phono preamp as the source. 

Wow, that's got to be the biggest mis-match I've ever heard of. $5,000 headphone, $150 portable source. Yikes. Nobody had a cassette walkman to try?
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #17,246 of 24,807

Quote:
I recently sold off a number of my Stax headphones; including three pair of Lambda Pros and my SR007.  After hearing the SR009s, which were not impressive to me, I have decided to collect on Sigma non pros and pros.  I thinnk they are the perfect headphones.  I hope everyone is okay out there in Headfi Stax land. 

I'm okay with you:))
They have something really special! They can do things other headphones / earspeakers can't do!

Regards Georg

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #17,247 of 24,807

Quote:
Wow, that's got to be the biggest mis-match I've ever heard of. $5,000 headphone, $150 portable source. Yikes. Nobody had a cassette walkman to try?
biggrin.gif

Yes I prefer to pair my $150 source with $600 headphones. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #17,248 of 24,807

Quote:
Yes I prefer to pair my $150 source with $600 headphones. 

Even in that case I would recommend a better source. I have a Cowon S9 and a Hifiman HM-801, and the difference on my $300 Beyer DT1350 and Denon NC-800 is startling. My previous Audio Technica ES10 and Beyer DT880 also benefited considerably. Where I didn't notice much of a difference was with my old Sony MDR-7509 and AKG K601, or most other sub $200 headphones.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #17,249 of 24,807

Quote:
Even in that case I would recommend a better source. I have a Cowon S9 and a Hifiman HM-801, and the difference on my $300 Beyer DT1350 and Denon NC-800 is startling. My previous Audio Technica ES10 and Beyer DT880 also benefited considerably. Where I didn't notice much of a difference was with my old Sony MDR-7509 and AKG K601, or most other sub $200 headphones.

I have no opinions about the S9 but the H120 was well regarded in it's day, no? I mean, it has an actual line-out and all. 

At any rate, my next project is a gamma2 dac. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back