The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #17,206 of 24,807
You measure from one end of the winding to the other.  So on a KGSS psu you should have two wires entering the PSU for each part of the HV supply so measure between those.  310V is a bit high but not excessively so and some amps were made with different transformers. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #17,207 of 24,807
I was taking readings on the female pro headphone connector of my SRM-727
The Amp was warmed up.

The R+/R- came out around 15
The L+/L- came our about 18
The Bias came out about 313.

Are these readings about what a SRM-727 should have?

Thanks.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #17,208 of 24,807
Hi,

I will be soon getting a pair of SR-009 with a Woo WES, I was wondering if any of the Stax aficionados could recommend a good DAC that won't break the bank, let's say 2'000USD or less.

Also is there any benefits of going XLR over RCA from the DAC to the WES, i.e do I need to look for a DAC with XLR outputs or it doesn't really matter?

Thanks

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #17,209 of 24,807
It is far better to use the balanced inputs on the WES, so that you don't have to use the phase splitter

Quote:
Hi,

I will be soon getting a pair of SR-009 with a Woo WES, I was wondering if any of the Stax aficionados could recommend a good DAC that won't break the bank, let's say 2'000USD or less.

Also is there any benefits of going XLR over RCA from the DAC to the WES, i.e do I need to look for a DAC with XLR outputs or it doesn't really matter?

Thanks

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #17,210 of 24,807

Quote:
It is far better to use the balanced inputs on the WES, so that you don't have to use the phase splitter

Great thanks, I will get a DAC with balanced outputs, the Weiss DAC2 and the Wyred4Sound DAC2 are on the top of my list for the time being but I'm open to suggestions of course.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #17,211 of 24,807

Quote:
Great thanks, I will get a DAC with balanced outputs, the Weiss DAC2 and the Wyred4Sound DAC2 are on the top of my list for the time being but I'm open to suggestions of course.

The Weiss DAC2 is outdated, and the sound is average. You can do better. The W4S isn't bad, but you're paying for what seems like a very mediocre asynchronous USB implementation, considering how many have reported considerable improvements with front ends like the Audiophilleo in place of the W4S's direct USB input. I would suggest taking a look at the Calyx DAC with the new Calyx linear power supply. It should easily outperform both the Weiss and W4S, assuming you're looking for a USB DAC.

You may also want to consider the Anedio D2 DAC. Similar XMOS USB receiver chip and ESS Sabre DAC with a different circuit and an internal power supply.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #17,212 of 24,807

Quote:
I was taking readings on the female pro headphone connector of my SRM-727
The Amp was warmed up.

The R+/R- came out around 15
The L+/L- came our about 18
The Bias came out about 313.

Are these readings about what a SRM-727 should have?

Thanks.

The DC balance should be closer to zero but given the voltage swing of the 727 then this is nothing and likely caused by the line voltage.  The amp also has a servo which shuts off the output if either the balance or the offset gets out of control. 

The bias measurement is meaningless since the DMM is loading the circuit too much.  You need a VTVM to measure the bias this way. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #17,213 of 24,807

Quote:
The Weiss DAC2 is outdated, and the sound is average. You can do better. The W4S isn't bad, but you're paying for what seems like a very mediocre asynchronous USB implementation, considering how many have reported considerable improvements with front ends like the Audiophilleo in place of the W4S's direct USB input. I would suggest taking a look at the Calyx DAC with the new Calyx linear power supply. It should easily outperform both the Weiss and W4S, assuming you're looking for a USB DAC.

You may also want to consider the Anedio D2 DAC. Similar XMOS USB receiver chip and ESS Sabre DAC with a different circuit and an internal power supply.

Thanks, I'm not necessarily looking for a good USB implementation, I will be using optical mostly.

Cheers

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #17,220 of 24,807

Quote:
I can't, I'm using a Smyth Realizer and it only has an optical output :frowning2: any other suggestion for non-USB DAC in my budget?

I use a W4S DAC1 (ES9018) with upgraded caps, set my Realiser presets volume so they are at the same volume level, set my SRM-727 at the volume level that is normal for me, and then use the Realisers volume control for small adjustments. So no need for remote, saves you some money but same audio as the W4S DAC2, just that the USB support is for 24/96.

btw, I am sure you know this but the Realiser also has RCA outputs, but then you can't bypass the Realiser DAC. So I guess you are using HDMI input and Toslink output on your Realiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back