The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #17,221 of 24,807
I bought moodyrn's old Stax setup a little while ago on the forums and thought I'd chip in with some impressions. it's an SR-407 earspeaker with an older T1-S energizer. For reference, I also own an HD800, Grado RS1 and Denon D7000 (and have owned a PS1000, LCD2 and HE5-LE)

I was feeding them with the RWA Isabellina DAC (unbalanced out) and listening to mostly 256 AAC iTunes plus a few FLAC demo songs.

The Stax combo sound very, very good. However, to my surprise, the soundstage is not very large and doesn’t create a real “out of the head” experience as I was expecting from the electrostatics. For that sensation, absolutely nothing I’ve listened to can match the HD800. These are about on par with the D7000 for soundstage - good, but not otherworldly.

But this less expensive setup than the HD800 provides similar amounts of detail and speed and has absolute wonderful tonality. It’s not quite as bright as the HD800 and sounds incredibly lifelike and natural. For a 600 dollar headphone (when new), it’s ahead of other headphones that I have used in that price range or above. But, of course, it also requires that pricey, specialized “energizer” to run, so it’s hard to make it a budget hifi setup.

Compared to the RS1 and D7000 I have here, the Stax is more neutral in its presentation but it still has a very musical sound. I think there's a very slight bump to the lower midrange to make things sound a bit more euphoric but I wouldn't bet money on that. it's just my impression. It has a very prominent midrange similar to the RS1 but it sounds less congested and more lively. the treble is also not as pronounced as the RS1. The bass on the Stax has much less impact than on the D7000 (or even the HD800) but that only reveals itself as a negative on a few tracks (eg: the opening beats on Janelle Monae's "Sincerely, Jane"). For the most part, I prefer the less emphasized bass on the Stax to the D7000. The D7000 are my "fun" cans.

I've been listening to a lot of Loreena McKennitt the last few months and her voice and all the varied percussion instruments sounds absolutely amazing on these. the sense of "being there" for the live performances is stronger with these than with ay other headphone I've used, aside from the HD800. Again, the only issue is the soundstage of these albums is very wide and deep on the HD800 but more closed in with the Stax.

My biggest issue with the headphones right now is comfort. They press more tightly on the sides of my head, in front of my ears, than I really like and the pleather pads and lack of air circulation makes my ears feel rather warm. The HD800 is much more comfortable and that’s real important to me. but I've found the last couple days that the Stax get more comfortable if I move the headband closer to the front of my head.

I bought these thinking they could replace my HD800. They can't do that as they don't replicate the soundstage or comfort of the HD800 (I'm not sure if any headphone can replace what I love about the HD800). But since I like these so much compared to other midrange dynamic cans I've owned, I don't think I could sell them, either. I'd be more willing to sell the D7000 and RS1 and keep the Stax around as a secondary bedroom setup (the amp is too large to keep on my desk with my computer, speakers and the Isabellina). oh, decisions, decisions. I'm definitely keeping all of them for the time being. If I cull anything from my lineup, it won't be for a while.

I am definitely glad I picked these up. It seems like a real step up from similarly priced dynamic headphone/ amp combos. This little, midrange SR-407 and the 20 year old amp driving it easily ranks as second for the best music I've heard on headphones. That's quite a feat.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #17,222 of 24,807
I recently fetch an SRD-7 + SR-X Mk3 combo. It's too soon for a review, but let me say that it's the first time I enjoy classical music listening with headphones. I find them incredible with guitar and violins. Unfortunatly, they lack bass, so I consider them as specialized headphones.

Could someone tell me how to open the cups without breaking something inside ? Or point me simply to the post/thread explaining how to do it.

Thank you,

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #17,223 of 24,807
I've only heard the 507 briefly but I'm pretty sure the soundstage on it was smaller than most other Lambdas.  I also found it less comfortable as it kinda pressed on the tops of my ears and felt a bit itchy.  The old Lambda models have very large soundstages and are super comfortable as well (HD800 also excels in these two regards).  I think you'd probably LOVE the Sigma if you can find one.

As for the SRX, somebody should try to put some gel pads on them.  I bet the bass would be much more extended/impactful.

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #17,224 of 24,807

Quote:
Could someone tell me how to open the cups without breaking something inside ? Or point me simply to the post/thread explaining how to do it.

Thank you,

Detach headband from cups, unscrew baffle (2 attachment points) and pull it off.
If you want v. nice sound improvement (better bass response and slightly more gentle trebles) then remove yellow damping biscuits from cups and sacrifice SRE-725 to use instead of the original cable. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #17,225 of 24,807
To get more bass out of the SR-X series then the best trick is to seal the baffle.  This is simply done by removing the aluminum "cup" that the earpads are attached to and place a small ring of blutac underneath it.  The gap is quite small so you don't need too much of the stuff. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #17,226 of 24,807

Quote:
Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 mk2 or MK3. A fair few have popped up on audiogon the last couple of months.

The PS audio Perfectwave DAC seems popular here as well.

Thanks!

After doing some reading I decided to go for the PS Audio perfectwave with the bridge, we'll see how it pairs with my Woo WES and the SR-009, can't wait!

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #17,228 of 24,807
Well my transformer was custom made by SumR according to your specs: 2*0-280V/140ma, 1*36VCT/240ma, So it's rather disappointing to find it does not meet those numbers.
After measuring the between the windings again (i measured previously each wonding against the GND terminal...) the AC out is 310V at both sides. Still, Only the +350V DC rails is screwed at 390V... So what could be the issue of that? You said the if it's the mosfet then something should be blown but i'm not seeing (or smelling) anything like that. I'd check the BJT (2SA1968) but first, could this be done effectively in circuit? second, what leads should i check, I prefer to avoid shorting it if i can.  

Quote:
You measure from one end of the winding to the other.  So on a KGSS psu you should have two wires entering the PSU for each part of the HV supply so measure between those.  310V is a bit high but not excessively so and some amps were made with different transformers. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #17,229 of 24,807
I've now built two KGSS amps with a transformer built to that spec (well one was a headamp unit I changed to 230V) with zero issues so that isn't the issue here.  You are also getting 310VAC out of it on both windings so it is functioning correctly.  The fault has to be in the PSU and then it is always the pass transistor that is blown.  You won't see any burn marks or anything like that on it so my recommendation would be to just replace it.  Trying to measure anything on that cramped PCB is just a disaster waiting to happen, I should know since a arc from + to - isn't pretty.... 

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #17,230 of 24,807
I recently sold off a number of my Stax headphones; including three pair of Lambda Pros and my SR007.  After hearing the SR009s, which were not impressive to me, I have decided to collect on Sigma non pros and pros.  I thinnk they are the perfect headphones.  I hope everyone is okay out there in Headfi Stax land. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #17,232 of 24,807
Ok, I'm inside the SR-X Mk3 cups. Everything looks clean. What a beautiful technology !

I'm not sure I understand you guys.

Sim1 : Let's forget about the cable, you tell me to remove the damping to get it even more open...
Spritzer : You suggest to seal it instead. And the only way I can see to seal it would be to replace the yellow damping by the blutac...

Could you clear out my misunderstanding please ?

Thanks guys. I'm really appreciating your help.

Quote:
Detach headband from cups, unscrew baffle (2 attachment points) and pull it off.
If you want v. nice sound improvement (better bass response and slightly more gentle trebles) then remove yellow damping biscuits from cups and sacrifice SRE-725 to use instead of the original cable. 

Quote:
To get more bass out of the SR-X series then the best trick is to seal the baffle.  This is simply done by removing the aluminum "cup" that the earpads are attached to and place a small ring of blutac underneath it.  The gap is quite small so you don't need too much of the stuff. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #17,234 of 24,807

Quote:
Who's the wise guy who keeps bidding up the SR-Gamma set on ebay? 

Haha, I was wondering the same thing, especially since I haven't heard the most flattering things about the sound of the Gammas. Was really hoping it would be ignored and I could snipe at the end, but at this price I think I'll just put that money toward another Lambda. (and no, this is totally not reverse psychology to stop you guys bidding on the gamma)

But seriously stop, I want them in my collection.

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #17,235 of 24,807

Quote:
I recently sold off a number of my Stax headphones; including three pair of Lambda Pros and my SR007.  After hearing the SR009s, which were not impressive to me, I have decided to collect on Sigma non pros and pros.  I thinnk they are the perfect headphones.  I hope everyone is okay out there in Headfi Stax land. 

I would agree that the Sigmas series are fantastic (and funtastic) phones. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back