The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #17,176 of 24,807

Quote:
Thank you very much. this is a weird design.

There is method to the madness. The independent rotation of the earcups and the transducers allows for listening in any position relative to the vertical and the amp. Lying down, for instance, you can trail the cable directly behind you without kinking or even twisting it, all the while retaining the ability to rotate the earcups wherever you want them. Pretty cool, very comfortable, very useful.

It goes without saying that you can position the headband independently as well.

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #17,177 of 24,807

Quote:
I've never heard the 001/003 but it seems every person says the same thing about them: they sound fantastic but are very unconfortable.  [...]

At first it is indeed unconfortable but there are 2 types of tips attached (different size). First you select the one that suites you better (I prefer bigger ones) and then you need to try to twist the "cups" to find most comfortable position and better sound (sealing level affects bass). You'll find a way to make them fit right for you. I assume the headband use. I never found myself any good solution to use them as standard IEMs without headband.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #17,178 of 24,807
Quote:
*checks eBay for the heck of it, finds an SRS-3030 setup sold for $200 shipped* Really? Why do these deals always pop up whenever I'm NOT looking and don't have money to spend?

I recently found three pairs of Lambda Pros (one with problems) & two SRM-1/MK2s on ebay, all for $600 Buy It Now.  Like the  fool that I am I used the "ask a question" feature to find out whether I could pick up locally (he was 30 minutes away) and then by that time some lucky son of a gun picked 'em up.  Repression has not begun yet.

Last year I missed out on Milosz' Lambda Pros in a similar, moronic fashion.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #17,179 of 24,807
Quote:
I've never heard the 001/003 but it seems every person says the same thing about them: they sound fantastic but are very unconfortable.  This is a shame and I hope somebody will decide to make electrostatic IEMs that are comfortable some day.

I think comfort thing depends on a few things. When I was auditioning them I found the ear plugs to be like those found on bluetooth headsets - and with those when put in right they are comfortable for hours if you leave them alone in your ear, but wiggling them, or pressing them in anyway is really uncomfortable very quickly. There is also the fact that the headband is just stupid. It's fixed in position and in the position it is fixed the ear plugs were positioned most comfortablty in my ears when the headband was hanging around the back of my neck!

Simple solution would be to wear them without the headband, which is removable anyway. Since I wore them fine not only non-supported by the headband but also supporting the weight of the headband dangling behind my head, there would be no issue with them staying in without it.

I was really impressed with them personally, great spacious soundstage, great clarity, nice, natural frequency response. All the more impressive - I listened to them immediately after the 009! To still sound good after that, considering the price difference, is quite an acheivement. I actually asked to buy a pair but the guy in the shop only sold the system rather than the 003s separately which is a shame.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #17,180 of 24,807
Quote:
I think comfort thing depends on a few things. When I was auditioning them I found the ear plugs to be like those found on bluetooth headsets - and with those when put in right they are comfortable for hours if you leave them alone in your ear, but wiggling them, or pressing them in anyway is really uncomfortable very quickly. There is also the fact that the headband is just stupid. It's fixed in position and in the position it is fixed the ear plugs were positioned most comfortablty in my ears when the headband was hanging around the back of my neck!

Simple solution would be to wear them without the headband, which is removable anyway. Since I wore them fine not only non-supported by the headband but also supporting the weight of the headband dangling behind my head, there would be no issue with them staying in without it.

I was really impressed with them personally, great spacious soundstage, great clarity, nice, natural frequency response. All the more impressive - I listened to them immediately after the 009! To still sound good after that, considering the price difference, is quite an acheivement. I actually asked to buy a pair but the guy in the shop only sold the system rather than the 003s separately which is a shame.

You can get them for $215 shipped to your door on ebay.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #17,182 of 24,807

Quote:
There is method to the madness. The independent rotation of the earcups and the transducers allows for listening in any position relative to the vertical and the amp. Lying down, for instance, you can trail the cable directly behind you without kinking or even twisting it, all the while retaining the ability to rotate the earcups wherever you want them. Pretty cool, very comfortable, very useful.

It goes without saying that you can position the headband independently as well.

The main reason for this is to place a uniform pressure on the earpads by the arc.  Pretty cool design idea and utterly unique. 

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #17,183 of 24,807

Quote:
The main reason for this is to place a uniform pressure on the earpads by the arc.  Pretty cool design idea and utterly unique. 

I assume this system is not widespread because of its cost to implement. It sure looks expensive. Does the 009 have something similar?

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #17,184 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:

I recently found three pairs of Lambda Pros (one with problems) & two SRM-1/MK2s on ebay, all for $600 Buy It Now.  Like the  fool that I am I used the "ask a question" feature to find out whether I could pick up locally (he was 30 minutes away) and then by that time some lucky son of a gun picked 'em up.  Repression has not begun yet.

Last year I missed out on Milosz' Lambda Pros in a similar, moronic fashion.

Actually, it was two pairs of Lambda Pros, one normal bias, and the SRM-1/MK2 for $700.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Stax-Headphone-System-Lambda-Pro-Non-Pro-Stax-SRM-1-MK2-Amp-/140674771604

Two of the pairs are being sold here. It looks like he may have replaced the earpads and headband assemblies, but it could just be a good cleaning job.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/591136/near-mint-condition-stax-lambda-pro-and-lambda-normal-bias

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #17,185 of 24,807
Thank you guys very much for the clarification. This is indeed very unique design never seen on any other headphones, but it seems 009 has discarded this feature.

Quote:
I assume this system is not widespread because of its cost to implement. It sure looks expensive. Does the 009 have something similar?

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #17,186 of 24,807

Quote:
Actually, it was two pairs of Lambda Pros, one normal bias, and the SRM-1/MK2 for $700.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Stax-Headphone-System-Lambda-Pro-Non-Pro-Stax-SRM-1-MK2-Amp-/140674771604

Two of the pairs are being sold here. It looks like he may have replaced the earpads and headband assemblies, but it could just be a good cleaning job.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/591136/near-mint-condition-stax-lambda-pro-and-lambda-normal-bias

Ah, you're right, one amp.  But it was three HPs, read the description in your link.  One normal bias, one with issues, one pro.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #17,187 of 24,807

Quote:

The SR-009 uses basically the same system as the SR-Omega or forks which swivel.  Some neat little design ideas though such as how the wide the arc is and that the forks sit offset from the bottom of the arc. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #17,188 of 24,807

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkmc2 

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-009 uses basically the same system as the SR-Omega or forks which swivel.  Some neat little design ideas though such as how the wide the arc is and that the forks sit offset from the bottom of the arc. 

The multi-swiveling capability of the O2 initially put me off as being too fiddly, but in practice it's easy when you make use of the stitched seam in the pads: I can get the right position in a second, by feeling for the seam - in my case the seam pointing forward and slightly upwards, and the cable dropping slightly forwards so it doesn't rub on my shoulders. So easy, even in the dark. I think it was spritzer that came up with this method in the past.

I still haven't tried an 009
frown.gif
, but looks like it's cable exit is fixed directly downwards, so more risk of catching on the shoulders - which often means noise traveling back up. I suppose the fact that nobody has complained about this means that it can't be much of a problem in practice.   

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #17,189 of 24,807
I like the 007 "rotatable" earpads, though I always have some fear that I will "roll" the pads right off the earcups while rotating them.  It's rather tricky getting the pads back on after they are removed- getting the edges of the earpad's leather stuffed into the "slot" in the earcup can be quite frustrating- just when you get it in on one side, it pops out the other. This should not be attempted by persons with rage issues or poor impulse control.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back