The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #16,546 of 24,807
Hoping I can add a little bit to this discussion, though I'm not an experienced reviewer like the rest of you guys.

When I got to the booth, Dr. Alex Cavalli and Brian Kurtz had the amp hooked up to a pair of 507s.  However, later on, I did have the unique opportunity to listen to the LL with SR-009 (thanks to Justin's generosity) and the O2 Mk.1 (thanks to Justin and Larry).  I also listened to the Jade on the LL, but that's not really worth commenting on, as all three of us agreed those headphones were the pits.

I felt that the comparison between the LL and BHSE is eerily similar to a post on the high-end forums regarding the Leben vs. Apex Pinnacle.  The LL is a solid state that sounds like a tube amp, and the BHSE is tube amp that sounds like solid state.  The BHSE won out in micro-detail and soundstage, but the LL just had this groovy foot-tapping head-bobbing infectiously-musical party-time fun vibe that made me not want to stop listening.

As far as the O2 Mk.1 vs. the SR-009, I think that just comes down to personal preference of sound signature.  I preferred the SR-009.  I felt the O2 Mk.1 had slightly more bass flab, but both headphones sounded excellent.

I felt the LL competes at the BHSE level, but they're different sounds to me.  I intend to own both.

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #16,549 of 24,807

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts HeadphoneAddict.  I was curious about the Telefunkens, and am going tube shopping soon.

Yes, I was encouraged about the reissues as the reviews on the New Sensor reissues were, in every possible respect, superior to the Groove Tube reissues.

There is still a slight edge/harshness around the upper-mids on the Mullard reissues I haven't gotten totally used to yet, but it's starting to fade a bit with burn-in.  If the Gold Lion 12AX7 reissues are more aggressive, I'm glad I went with the more mellow Mullards.  The lower registers are so vastly improved that there is no question about how inferior the stock GES tubes are.  I'm noticing instrumentation which I didn't hear before with some of my rock music.

I'm actually now in a much happier place.  Going from Toslink cable to a nice shielded Beldin coax (with Kings and Canare connectors) gave, IMO, about a 5% increase in quality (though some people I had test it preferred the Toslink sound), and the tubes increased the quality up to 25-30% over stock tubes+Toslink.  Another plus is that I'm getting more out of my source now, too.

Compared to the Telefunkens the edge doesn't go away completely, but they're not bad.  I saved them for "later", to use in my ZDT over the years as needed.

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #16,550 of 24,807
Oct 20, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #16,551 of 24,807
Stax makes the world a better place. The SR-407´s driven by SRM-006ts are FUN headphones. End of discussion.
atsmile.gif

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #16,552 of 24,807
Figured I'd get in on this thread as I am considering an 007 CLL combo down the line (hopefully within 6 months or so). Gotta try and keep up with the time, ya know?

Quote:
I posted my thoughts about the Cavalli Liquid Lightning in the RMAF impressions thread.  All I need to post here is that I loved it and intend to get one for my 007 and HE-60.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/575847/canjam-rmaf-2011-listening-impressions-thread/390#post_7830107

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #16,553 of 24,807

Quote:
Stax makes the world a better place. The SR-407´s driven by SRM-006ts are FUN headphones. End of discussion.
atsmile.gif

I definitely agree with that. I just got back from a two person meet with another headfier and he thought the 407s sounded better than lcd-2, and he-6. It was his first time listening to stax however, and this was with a 2000.00+ source. But the 407s are amazing cans for the money. I like the he-6 slightly better, but they are in the same league imo. The astonishing part is, the he-6 are twice the price and the lcd-2s are 400.00 more.

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #16,555 of 24,807
The bass on all three is really tight. I can't find that either really excel over the other in that department. I would say that the 407 are just a tad bit tighter. The he-6 have more extension, but the 407 have more impact and just a bit more slam. The lcd-2 bass is smoother and a tad more refined. It has more punch than all three, but still it's close. The he-6 wins over the other two in extension. All three are great sounding cans. If I had to rank them it would be he-6, 407, lcd-2.  I would be extremely happy with either. But depending on your preference the ranking could be in any order. I've been a fan of stax headphones for years. They are the one brand where you don't have to get a flagship to hear high end sound. Heck I would even take an old 202 over a pair of ed8, d7000, and even hd800.

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #16,556 of 24,807
Interesting, thanks for the rundown!  Maybe it'd be worth getting a used lambda and Stax amp for work, particularly since only the O2s need a lot of voltage swing to be driven properly.  I always thought the 407s were supposed to be great for string instruments and vocals, but not that great for percussion, though I've read that those line of headphones were very popular as studio monitors in the 80s and 90s.

Oct 22, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #16,558 of 24,807
Another quick update on the GES paired with the MK2, since I've been receiving some PMs about the GES lately (people giving up their LCD2s for the O2! they've seen/heard the light).

I finally swapped out the stock Tung Sols with a quad of NOS Sylvania 6S4A.  Immediately improvement in the instrument separation.  Someone who listens to my setup regularly said that it sounds a lot cleaner now.  Cheap upgrade, as NOS Sylvania 6S4As are only a few bucks on the market still.  I also have some NOS RCAs which supposedly have better bass, but I'm going to stick with the Sylvanias for awhile and let them burn in some.

Long story short, swapping out the stock Tung Sols with a quad of NOS Sylvania 6S4A and quad of reissue cryo-treated Mullard 12AX7 has largely gotten rid of the muddiness I disliked about the GES, particularly in the low-end.  Really obvious on tracks like Smashing Pumpkins 'Zero', Garbage 'Vow', Metric 'Gold Guns Girls', and Silversun Pickups 'Panic Switch'.  I could use some more bass slam, but I figure that'll come with the BHSE.  The bass presence is certainly not lacking, and I'd say it's around on par with Grado now (though still not within swinging distance of the LCD2).

Yes, the O2s still sound 'dark' but overall transparency has been significantly improved, and you don't need to go crazy with tube rolling to get a lot out of the GES.

Now if only my preamp can get here, to see if it can solve the soundstage issue...

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #16,559 of 24,807
Hello stax folk.
Does anyone here have some old worn out Stax SR-x earpads?
ones where the pleather is peeling, or has peeled off?

if you have an old set of pads that you replaced or maybe dont need any more, please drop me a PM :).

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #16,560 of 24,807
One think I am thrilled about is last week I finally had good luck getting ear wax out and was there ever a lot. I tried emergency room doctors before with mixed results and tried myself quite a few times with no luck. It is very hard to do but with a few days of ear drops and water ball it worked. Probably going to take some time to find the O2's as dark as people say because sure sounded bright after having high frequency hearing cut off for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back