The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #16,096 of 24,807

Quote:
Did a bit of searching couldn't locate any info and am wondering whether the Koss /e.9 energizer unit can be modded to accept Stax headphones. If so what if any benefit would one see.  I currently use an SRD-6 box with SR-5 's and my recently acquired SR-50 electrets.

It's not really a priority project but since it came my way why not ask. 
If not I may simply pass it along to someone who needs one for dirt cheap.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/255272/will-stax-low-bias-phones-run-off-the-koss-e9-energizer-transformer

In short: not much point in it, bias is higher as well.

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #16,097 of 24,807
Thanks exactly what i needed to know. It's a skipper. I'll  pass it along for dirt
cheap to what little market there actually may be for it.

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #16,098 of 24,807
A bit confused these days as I have finally gotten my long awaited sr507 / srm323s system and not completely satisfied with the sound...  yet...
The dealer let me have the srs4170 system at home the last two months while I waited for delivery of my order, and I absolutely loved the sound of that rig to bits! Full and extended bass, plenty detail and hf "space", made me always want to turn the volume up... pure listening joy hours on end. sound never got tiring in any way.
From all I have read the 507 should be an (if very slight) improvement over the 407, and the srm323s being heralded by some as the best amp currently in the stax lineup should be at least as good as the srm006ts....
Unfortunately I have yet to fall in love with the sound of this new system. It has now played about 100 hours and I rembered the srs 4170 system improving quite a bit in its first 60-80 hours, going from "slightly rough edged" to silky smooth and super detailed. No such change yet on the 507 kit..  It still sounds "rough edged" rather often want to turn down the volume due to a sound that is not pleasing to the ear (not especially loud, but tiring and sort of slightly nasal with "hollow" mids and if anything less bass than the 4170system.... Sounds cheaper and less "high end"
It might that the tubed amp made the difference, but as things are now the 407/006ts had better, richer and fuller bass extention, more natural mids, and WAY more involving and natural sound as in "you feel you are actually there".
Does anyone have experience with burn-in of the srm323s? does it change much? and in what way?
Hope this gets better, already listening less hours a day than with the 4170 as it seems the music has lost its "soul".......
.....    :frowning2:
and the stitching of the leather pads hurts the back of my ear after an hour or so...

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #16,102 of 24,807

Quote:

Michgelsen, you gave me the right idea!
I wired the chassis to the radiator, and the hum is gone!
Now, I'll get the amp fixed anyway (my wife is not happy about a green wire across the room) but at least I can listen during this weekend.
Right now listening to Dvorak Dumky Trio (Beaux Arts Trio)
Thanks!

Updates on my hum issues...Something weird...There is no noise if I wire the chassis BEFORE switching the amp on there is no noise. That doesn't work if I do it AFTER the amp being switched on...that doesn't make sense at all

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #16,103 of 24,807
Updates on my hum issues...Something weird...There is no noise if I wire the chassis BEFORE switching the amp on there is no noise. That doesn't work if I do it AFTER the amp being switched on...that doesn't make sense at all

i thought you sent it back to the seller :rolleyes: ?

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #16,104 of 24,807

Quote:
i thought you sent it back to the seller
rolleyes.gif
?

Not yet, the Stax service guy is on holiday, he'll be back next Tuesday. In the meantime I'm still using it.

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #16,105 of 24,807
Wonder if anyone can give me an idea what might be wrong with my rig? I am guessing it is the Srm-1/ Mk-2 that needs updating. I have had O2 Mk1's for over a week now but just  getting over an ear infection. It seems to me there the bass is more powerful on the right channel.  The only thing I did with the Srm-1 / Mk-2 is I adjusted the bias. I will get new caps one of these days but it is still stock. I have it around a volt but now I get a slight noise when I plug the earphones in. Still seems more deep bass on the right side. Anyone know the most likely reason?

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #16,106 of 24,807
Since you said you just got over an ear problem, maybe let some other listener hear the setup before you decide it's broken and break out your soldering iron. Just a thought.

I'm glad your ear problem has gotten better.  I know how dreadful such maladies can be.  I've had an eye problem for a long time- I just can't see getting a job.

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #16,107 of 24,807
Quote:
Wonder if anyone can give me an idea what might be wrong with my rig? I am guessing it is the Srm-1/ Mk-2 that needs updating. I have had O2 Mk1's for over a week now but just  getting over an ear infection. It seems to me there the bass is more powerful on the right channel.  The only thing I did with the Srm-1 / Mk-2 is I adjusted the bias. I will get new caps one of these days but it is still stock. I have it around a volt but now I get a slight noise when I plug the earphones in. Still seems more deep bass on the right side. Anyone know the most likely reason?

Check the earpad orientation for both the cups, when one of them don't seal properly, you get mad bass on that side ^^. Sometimes I wear them wrong on purpose =P.

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #16,108 of 24,807

Quote:

It is definitely your amp that needs updating.  I have the Srm-1/Mk-2 also, but is only useful for lower end Stax phones.  I am currently using a SRM T1 which is still way underpowered, especially for the Baby Orpheus I have coming in.
You should be looking for a SRM 727A ($1600+) at the very least for your O2s, and possibly the KGSS ($1500+) or BHSE ($4500+) to get the best out of your O2's

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #16,110 of 24,807
Finally got around to get some SR-507 earpads for my 404Sig, it much improved fit and comfort already worth the hassle, not to say the improved sound. Makes me a happy man~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back