The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #15,797 of 24,807
Hello Stax thread. I'm generically an electrostatic lover, and specifically a Stax lover, but I've reached a point in life where my children do the most of cable-pulling in our residence. And on these grounds, dear Stax-sages of old, I turn to you.

Are there any simple, dynamic, "normal" headphones, that resemble the liquid, effortless sonics of 'stats?
The cheaper the better, mind you.
I've auditioned the Sennheiser dynamic flagship, and it is reminiscent of the electrostatic goodness, but for that money, I'd rather go static.

Any affordable, "padre de familia" -solutions to my dilemma?

In short:
1.) Stat-like "liquid" sound
2.) A bare minimum of adjacent electronics (no amp = good)
3.) Cheap, as in "cheaper than a proper Stax setup"

Thank you, and sorry about the long-winded post. Cheers!

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #15,798 of 24,807

Quote:
Hello Stax thread. I'm generically an electrostatic lover, and specifically a Stax lover, but I've reached a point in life where my children do the most of cable-pulling in our residence. And on these grounds, dear Stax-sages of old, I turn to you.

Are there any simple, dynamic, "normal" headphones, that resemble the liquid, effortless sonics of 'stats?
I've auditioned the Sennheiser dynamic flagship, and it is reminiscent of the electrostatic goodness, but for that money, I'd rather go static.

In short:

The HE-500 probably gets closest, but you can forget that without an amp. Other than that, I'm having trouble thinking of any. IMO a properly driven O2 is untouchable by any dynamic other than maybe the R10.

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #15,799 of 24,807

Quote:

In short:

Cheaper then a STAX Lambda normal setup? Your kind of ruined on all headphones below the $250 price range. Sorry. I would guess IEMs are your best bet for speed, detail, and ampless if that helps.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #15,800 of 24,807
Check if you're able to try a pair of senns hd25-1 mk2 (I'm not recommending to buy them, but if you know someone or a store to test them out, might be worth giving it a listen or two). to my ears the senns got pretty close to my 202+ExStata. Only thing is that due to my source, and my surroundings, the stax weren't able to perform to what I believe is their full potential. The fact that there was a fishtank pump that is constantly emmiting a pretty loud noise just made it harder for me to concentrate while listening.

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #15,801 of 24,807

Quote:
Check if you're able to try a pair of senns hd25-1 mk2 to my ears the senns got pretty close to my 202+ExStata. Only thing is that due to my source, and my surroundings, the stax weren't able to perform to what I believe is their full potential so my comparisons were pretty uneven.

Wow, because our HD25-1 II don't even come close to my SR-Lambda or Lambda Nova Signature from the eXStatA.  They're maybe closer to my $99 Alessandro MS-1 (Grado) to my ears.  Did you use the same source with both rigs?

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #15,802 of 24,807
Yeah, but like I said my source ain't that great, and the listening condition was even worse. Honestly I doubt I've even heard half of what my rig can fully do. It sucks living in a house that is constantly noisy. I'll try comparing them again somewhere without a fish tank.

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #15,803 of 24,807
Thank you for replies to my crinkle problem. As it turns out it seems the dustcover on the inside is torn and I need to replace it - or repair it. Can any one point me to a good source for replacement film.

Any suggestions at all would be welcome!

Thanks

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #15,804 of 24,807
Cheaper then a STAX Lambda normal setup? Your kind of ruined on all headphones below the $250 price range. Sorry. I would guess IEMs are your best bet for speed, detail, and ampless if that helps.

never thought I'd say this, but he could try GMP450PRO. If he doesn't mind the bright mids bump, or EQing. They're pretty cheap as well/very comfortable (for both open and closed HP). Not sure if the double padding will remove the need for EQ but seems like it's worth a try. That said, they do need an amp, but there are plenty of inexpensive amps capable of driving 300ohm HP well.

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #15,805 of 24,807

Quote:

In short:

Etymotic ER4. It's even "bassless" like a good ol' Lambda!

But seriously speaking, in terms of speed and liquidity this one is probably the closest to a Lambda. Both are bright-ish, both are lean-ish and both are incredibly and effortlessly detailed.

Jun 25, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #15,806 of 24,807
Thanks for the wealth of replies, you are a constant source of food for thought. :)

Does anyone have experience regarding the fostex T50RP or the Precide Ergo 2? Could either of them work as a 'stat substitute in a pinch? PRaT, speed?

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #15,807 of 24,807

Quote:
Guys, need some advice here. 2 years after using the Omega II mk 2, the headphone has a prob with channel imbalance - right side is significantly softer than the left.  I have a SR-404 LE which doesn't have the problem when plugged into the same amp, so that rules out any possible problem with the amp or source.

From your experience, what's the easiest way to have the headphone fixed? Stax JP or USA?

Thanks!

Unless you bought it from a dealer in the US, Yamas won't fix it.  They won't handle the gray market. 

Unless the phones have been physically abused there are not that many things to go wrong.  My guess is a bad connection to a stator, possible even in the cable.  I have fixed such things myself with the Lambdas.  Locate the break and solder the wires together with an extra piece of wire.

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #15,808 of 24,807
I've found the Audio-Technica higher-end line to sound somewhat reminiscent of stats (treble sparkle and detail, speed) but they're not nearly as neutral. You can try out an AD100PRM or AD2000 (easier to find) to see if you'll like it.

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #15,809 of 24,807
Have SRM323S and SR507, looking for high end interconnect with good synergies in a stax system.
Of the following please list pros and cons if you have experience, other recommendations also appreciated..  :)
Kimber Hero
Nordost White Lightning / Purple Flare
Audioquest King Cobra
Van Den Hul First Ultimate / Waterfall / Tide / D102

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #15,810 of 24,807

Quote:
Unless you bought it from a dealer in the US, Yamas won't fix it.  They won't handle the gray market. 

Unless the phones have been physically abused there are not that many things to go wrong.  My guess is a bad connection to a stator, possible even in the cable.  I have fixed such things myself with the Lambdas.  Locate the break and solder the wires together with an extra piece of wire.

Accutech will accept any Stax regardless of purchase history. The only covet is they reserve the right to refuse repairs that are deemed unserviceable. They will always inspect any equipment for a flat $25. Subsequently, you will receive an invoice for a repair offer or a return shipping notice. If you don't know the problem behind an equipment you can always send it in for the inspection to get a clue about the fix.

From experience, replacing the cable does not cure channel imbalance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back