The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #15,811 of 24,807

Quote:
Have SRM323S and SR507, looking for high end interconnect with good synergies in a stax system.
Of the following please list pros and cons if you have experience, other recommendations also appreciated..  :)
Kimber Hero
Nordost White Lightning / Purple Flare
Audioquest King Cobra
Van Den Hul First Ultimate / Waterfall / Tide / D102

At that price level I'd suggest Acoustic Zen Wow, or if you can swing it, Audio-Magic Excalibur II. Otherwise you're better off with the factory direct companies like MAC or Signal Cable. You really don't get much from the big cable cos for $200-300.

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #15,812 of 24,807

Quote:
Thanks for the wealth of replies, you are a constant source of food for thought. :)

Does anyone have experience regarding the fostex T50RP or the Precide Ergo 2? Could either of them work as a 'stat substitute in a pinch? PRaT, speed?

Dunno about the Ergo, but the Fostex T50RP I own myself are crap. Not comparable at all sadly. In any way. :'-(

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #15,813 of 24,807

Quote:
I've found the Audio-Technica higher-end line to sound somewhat reminiscent of stats (treble sparkle and detail, speed) but they're not nearly as neutral. You can try out an AD100PRM or AD2000 (easier to find) to see if you'll like it.

Agree, completely... the AD2000's are possibly the closest you'll come in a reasonably priced set of phones.  They may well be my favorite. 

Though... I love the SR-507's with the SRM-323S - everything is nearly perfect - very well balanced, great soundstage, superb clarity and detail. 

The AD2000's have most of that... plus... a driving, big sound - a wee bit warmer, and richer.  With the right amp, and the "phat pad" mods, several have observed they are they're favorite phones. 

Unless, you have an extreme case of OCD, are insistent on a perfectly flat sound, and appreciate very subtle nuances between phones, I doubt you'd notice such a big difference, in favor of the SR-507's, that you'd not be impressed and pleased with the AD2000's.  And... you'll have to invest a small fortune to achieve the best sound with the SR-007's - I much prefer the AD2000's with a $400 amp, to the 007's with the SRM-007t II - no comparison, whatsoever. 

Jun 26, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #15,814 of 24,807
Sorry to 'bump' my question but I would be really grateful if anyone who has repaired/replaced a dust cover on the inside (ear side) of a Lambda driver (I have a normal bias one) could let me know what to use!

Thank you for any help!

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #15,815 of 24,807
I have the same problem but really I think it is game over once you have a hole. Now don't go thinking I have an answer for you but I do have a guess. I never used the stuff and it is really only a guess.
I am guessing liquid skin from a drug store like a tiny bit on the end of a tooth pick.

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #15,817 of 24,807
I recall someone repaired a Lambda Pro dust cover with some Glad Press'n'Seal (the kind used for food), as it's a comparatively thin membrane. No idea how to go about the process, though.

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #15,819 of 24,807
Quote:
Accutech will accept any Stax regardless of purchase history. The only covet is they reserve the right to refuse repairs that are deemed unserviceable. They will always inspect any equipment for a flat $25. Subsequently, you will receive an invoice for a repair offer or a return shipping notice. If you don't know the problem behind an equipment you can always send it in for the inspection to get a clue about the fix.

From experience, replacing the cable does not cure channel imbalance.

How exactly would one go about contact Accutech for repairs? I haven't put up a WTB ad for my broken SR-202 headband yet because I still am not sure exactly what headbands would make suitable replacements, and I'd be more comfortable sending it in to a professional so I don't accidentally buy a wrong one. Seeing as how all I need is a replacement rather than a real repair, I'd hope their prices are reasonable as well? Thanks for any input.

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #15,820 of 24,807
Replacement headbands that would be suitable are:
Stax Lambda Nova Classic, SR-202, and SR-207.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #15,821 of 24,807
Anyone know where I can pick up some SR-003s (my pair at work are being a bit flaky) cheaper than Yodobashi in Tokyo?  Here in Japan for work for the week and went by one place (Akihabara Outlet) which ended up not having them in stock.  I will be back in Tokyo Friday night for my Saturday flight, but don't want to schlep all the way out to Fujiya Avic but I'll happily scour for a few places around Akihabara (will be at the Washington in Akihabara on Friday night).

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #15,822 of 24,807

[size=medium]
HELP!

Where can I get the Stax 5-pin plug used for high-bias headphones?  I thought I had a line on these but it's not the right plug. I need to adapt a Koss ESP-950 cable to use Stax energizers / amplifiers.

I also need a 6 pin plug!  Anybody know where I can get one of those?  I want to drive my Beyer ET1000's off Stax low-bias stuff....

Surely there's a way to get a 5 pin plug without buying a whole Stax replacement cable?

Same for the 6 pin, except the 6 pin cable isn't available anywhere from anyone, as far as I can tell; Stax's distributor in California says they aren't available......
[/size]

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #15,823 of 24,807

Obviously you dont want to spend a lot of money (who does?) but these parts dont come cheap.
For ESP-950 (Cha-Ching !$!$!) cable adapters, go here: http://apuresound.com/ehrc.html

The following requires decent DIY skills -
For just a six pin connector you will pay around $20 to $35 plus shipping and need to do some soldering and minor modification
to the connector housing so it can be used with a Stax box. These are chrome metal mil-spec connectors originally made by Amphenol for microphone use.
Newark Electronics carries them, part # 38F1543. For the Stax Pro five pin variant, just take a six pin jobbie and cut out the center pin. Viola!
Link: http://www.newark.com/cooper-interconnect/91-mc6m/connector-din-audio-plug-6way/dp/38F1543?Ntt=38f1543

I've used these extensively, here is a pic of one mated to my stat amp.

Quote:

HELP!

Where can I get the Stax 5-pin plug used for high-bias headphones?  I thought I had a line on these but it's not the right plug. I need to adapt a Koss ESP-950 cable to use Stax energizers / amplifiers.

I also need a 6 pin plug!  Anybody know where I can get one of those?  I want to drive my Beyer ET1000's off Stax low-bias stuff....

Surely there's a way to get a 5 pin plug without buying a whole Stax replacement cable?

Same for the 6 pin, except the 6 pin cable isn't available anywhere from anyone, as far as I can tell; Stax's distributor in California says they aren't available......

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #15,825 of 24,807

Quote:
Etymotic ER4. It's even "bassless" like a good ol' Lambda!

But seriously speaking, in terms of speed and liquidity this one is probably the closest to a Lambda. Both are bright-ish, both are lean-ish and both are incredibly and effortlessly detailed.

Been a while since I've been to this thread 
smile.gif
, I have to disagree. I used to own an ER4 for more than 3 years and I was always amazed how my SR-202 and now SR-303 slaughtered it in terms of being effortless and detailed when A-B'ed. I tended to believe that ER4 is super good in detail when I used it by itself for a long period of time, but was rudely reminded every time I switched to my Stax. Nowadays, even something like a dba-02 has better detail than the ER4. The ER4 also skimps in decay to achieve that speed, something I've never felt with the SR-202/303. Also ER4 is rather bassless, some Lambdas are not as much so (such as the Pros, 404LE, 404, 303). Granted, the ER4 has nice mid tonality, something I can't say about my SR-303.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back