The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #15,781 of 24,807
Soundoholic sent me while ago description how to get rid of this crinkle. It slightly changes the sound but it's really worth to try.
In simple words you cut short pipe (from drinking straw) and put it under pad (best place is close to cable entry). That's how it looks
Completely revertible and takes not more than 3 minutes to do :).

interesting. thanks. So it basically breaks the seal then?

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #15,782 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:
Soundoholic sent me while ago description how to get rid of this crinkle. It slightly changes the sound but it's really worth to try.
In simple words you cut short pipe (from drinking straw) and put it under pad (best place is close to cable entry). That's how it looks
Completely revertible and takes not more than 3 minutes to do :).

interesting. thanks. So it basically breaks the seal then?

It's so the air has a place to go when the volume of the chamber changes. The crinkle is caused by volume changes (positive or negative pressure) in the sound chamber (between your pad, ear, and driver) and since the diaphragm is very light, it moves accordingly. It's also called the "Stax fart".

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #15,783 of 24,807
It's so the air has a place to go when the volume of the chamber changes. The crinkle is caused by volume changes (positive or negative pressure) in the sound chamber (between your pad, ear, and driver) and since the diaphragm is very light, it moves accordingly. It's also called the "Stax fart".

yes I understand that. On the other hand 'it breaks the seal' sound a bit silly, since the headphones are open. The sound will probably change a little bit though because of the leakage via the new path :D

Jun 23, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #15,784 of 24,807
Finally received my SR-404 + SRM-300 combo. The SRM-300 is not as bad as I was expected, I was half expecting it to be quite muddy.

Now for the strange part. The STAX setup manage to beat my dynamic setup in bass without being bloaty, it is tight and fast, but goes deeper and have a touch more bass. However the treble on it is not as sparklely as my AD1000PRM setup, it still does extend high up naturally, just the way the percussion hitting is not as nice. I think it might be due the amp, as I recalled the SR-404 sounds as sparklely as my AD1000PRM if not more on the SRM-727.

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #15,786 of 24,807
Yes, it does beak the seal and sound slightly changes. IMHO there is no other way to remove the problem. As long as the sound chamber has tight sealing it will fart.
Some may not like the new sound but I must admit I am addicted to the change.

mmm chewing while wearing stax HP :D ...Damn it, now I'm going to have to do this on SR-507...Really didn't want to screw with them.

> The SRM-300 is not as bad as I was expected, I was half expecting it to be quite muddy.

no, nothing like that. Just doesn't go particularly loud :D (e.g. old dvds) (at least for me... 252 was plan awful, SRM-300 was barely acceptable and sometimes not quite enough, SRM-1/mk2 was more than enough)

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #15,787 of 24,807
Well I found the SRM-300 more than loud enough for me. Mine is on less than the 3 step on the pot, (9 o'clock). Maybe I do really listen quiet?

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #15,788 of 24,807

Quote:
mmm chewing while wearing stax HP
biggrin.gif
...Damn it, now I'm going to have to do this on SR-507...Really didn't want to screw with them.

To apply the mod as painless as possible, just use a screwdriver, gently push and drill the hole in the glue under pad until you'll see the end of the screwdriver on the other side, then put on the pipe and pushing it slowly remove the screwdriver - it will place the pipe in right place. A picture for the link I attached shows the operation in a phase you put the pipe on.
If you want to revert to original just pull the pipe, glue from pad will catch again and there will be no sign of operation.

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #15,789 of 24,807
I am currently eating with my 404 on, nothing like that is happening to me.

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #15,790 of 24,807
If you try it with a smaller straw (like a coffee stirrer) the sound changes will probably be minimal, but *should* get rid of the fart all the same.

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #15,792 of 24,807
Guys, need some advice here. 2 years after using the Omega II mk 2, the headphone has a prob with channel imbalance - right side is significantly softer than the left.  I have a SR-404 LE which doesn't have the problem when plugged into the same amp, so that rules out any possible problem with the amp or source.

From your experience, what's the easiest way to have the headphone fixed? Stax JP or USA?

Thanks!

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #15,793 of 24,807
Quote:
Guys, need some advice here. 2 years after using the Omega II mk 2, the headphone has a prob with channel imbalance - right side is significantly softer than the left.  I have a SR-404 LE which doesn't have the problem when plugged into the same amp, so that rules out any possible problem with the amp or source.

From your experience, what's the easiest way to have the headphone fixed? Stax JP or USA?

Thanks!

I would see if I could send em off to Japan, because the USA Stax distributor/repair center ain't exactly brilliant from what I've heard.

Good luck!

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #15,794 of 24,807

Quote:

Thanks!

IIRC one member sent a Stax item to Stax UK for repair. Yama's ain't so great, unfortunately.

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #15,795 of 24,807
I am in the process of compleating a purchase for some Sigma Pros.   I would like to request the advice of those more experienced than me as to what the best driver would be for these phones.
404?  407?  Maybe- I should just leave them alone.   I have a BHSE with GE 6ca7 tubes if that makes a difference in your recommendations.

Also, Yamasinc does not seem to reply to my calls or e mails.   I am looking for someone to refurbish these phones with the best drivers, cable, and enything else it needs to shine.  Any recommendations?

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back