The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #15,676 of 24,807
Wow, thank you! I thought of this suggestion but it was too stiff at first. Secondly, how would you rebalance both channels if you do not wish to keep the setting? Would you twist both segments back to zero?

Your 717 is a bit different from mine. Mine has vents on top. Won't the machine get hot or are there other vents that I'm seeing?

May 30, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #15,677 of 24,807

Quote:
Wow, thank you! I thought of this suggestion but it was too stiff at first. Secondly, how would you rebalance both channels if you do not wish to keep the setting? Would you twist both segments back to zero?

Yep, just twist each dial all the way back to zero.

Quote:
Your 717 is a bit different from mine. Mine has vents on top. Won't the machine get hot or are there other vents that I'm seeing?

That is not my 717 (or even a 717!) It is just a picture with a good angle on the knob that I grabbed from the web.

Glad it worked for you though.
beerchug.gif

May 31, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #15,678 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:
the main concern is if the internal temp gets too high it will greatly reduce electrolytic's life expectancy. It is not an immediate failure.

105 *C caps inside for all of them, unless you replace with lower grade ones... I suppose the difference is whatever the manufacturer rates the caps for 50 vs 70 *C
Is cap life quoted a straight figure? (i.e. say 2000h without pause at 105 *C) or some sort of dodgy weighted average, where the real life at 105 *C is something like 200h, and progressively gets more as the temperature is lowered?
Or is it 2000h at 105 *C then a set of multipliers for lower temps?
Also, 10-20 hours/year at higher temp, would it make that much of a difference since the quoted expected lives are for conts use for the rated time (no storage, or lower temp cycles?)

The speed of chemical reactions doubles when the temperature is increased by 10 degrees celsius (Arrhenius Law),
so the lifetime doubles with every 10 degrees less working temperature (thereby, just for example, 
105°C caps will live four times longer than 85°C caps (at 85°C)).

May 31, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #15,679 of 24,807
Some usefull information on old stax equpment

It's mostly German

http://new-hifi-classic.de/Gallery_MO/thumbnails.php?album=246

Regards Georg

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #15,680 of 24,807
"The speed of chemical reactions doubles when the temperature is increased by 10 degrees celsius (Arrhenius Law),
so the lifetime doubles with every 10 degrees less working temperature (thereby, just for example, 
105°C caps will live four times longer than 85°C caps (at 85°C))."

Nope. That is a *very* rough rule of thumb that has little applicability for capacitor lifespan. Use of the Arrhenius equation requires real data, usually experimentally derived, to give valid results, Otherwise, thumbtimes true, thumbtimes not.

You can find operating T / Rated T vs failure time datasheets at many manufacturer / distributor sites.

Here's some typical data from a manufacturer of hardware, comparing electrolytics to solids. Note it is more like 2-3X per 10C:

Average Lifespan of Solid Caps. vs. Electrolytic Caps

Temp°C
Electrolytic Capacitors
(Working Hours)
Solid Capacitors (Working Hours)
95◦C
4,000 Hrs
6,324 Hrs
1.5X longer
85◦C
8,000 Hrs
20,000 Hrs
2.5X longer
75◦C
16,000 Hrs
63,245 Hrs
4X longer
65◦C
32,000 Hrs
200,000 Hrs
6.25X longer

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #15,681 of 24,807
The data you posted shows that lifetime of electrolytics doubles with every 10°C.

I'm focussed on lifetime vs temperature here without regarding other parameters/effects/types etc.

Laws of nature don't require real data to be right, even reality is typically complex by use.

If you are an engineer, it will be probably best to look at datasheets.

Quote:
"The speed of chemical reactions doubles when the temperature is increased by 10 degrees celsius (Arrhenius Law),
105°C caps will live four times longer than 85°C caps (at 85°C))."

Nope. That is a *very* rough rule of thumb that has little applicability for capacitor lifespan. Use of the Arrhenius equation requires real data, usually experimentally derived, to give valid results, Otherwise, thumbtimes true, thumbtimes not.

You can find operating T / Rated T vs failure time datasheets at many manufacturer / distributor sites.

Here's some typical data from a manufacturer of hardware, comparing electrolytics to solids. Note it is more like 2-3X per 10C:

Average Lifespan of Solid Caps. vs. Electrolytic Caps

Temp°C
Electrolytic Capacitors
(Working Hours)
Solid Capacitors (Working Hours)
95◦C
4,000 Hrs
6,324 Hrs
1.5X longer
85◦C
8,000 Hrs
20,000 Hrs
2.5X longer
75◦C
16,000 Hrs
63,245 Hrs
4X longer
65◦C
32,000 Hrs
200,000 Hrs
6.25X longer

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #15,682 of 24,807
In relation to the post of K3cT from the last page I cannot agree with the conclusion "any proper Stax amp would be better than a combination of a transformer and a speaker amp." It´s simple false. Actually I received an energiser including the Lundahls LL-1630. This LRT-1630 of my design with many options, I can switch optionally from 580V to 630V BIAS. I must say, this box with Accuphase 406 amp provides unbeatable sound for my many lambdas and omegas. I forgot my 717 and a new 007t II. The stage, air, reality, bass, dynamics and more I receive now, let me easily forget other Stax amps. Not only with the reference SR-Omega (temporary in my stuff),  but also with the 007 Mk1 at this combo I hear now to the new unknown world.

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #15,683 of 24,807
In relation to the post of K3cT from the last page I cannot agree with the conclusion "any proper Stax amp would be better than a combination of a transformer and a speaker amp." It´s simple false. Actually I received an energiser including the Lundahls LL-1630. This LRT-1630 of my design with many options, I can switch optionally from 580V to 630V BIAS. I must say, this box with Accuphase 406 amp provides unbeatable sound for my many lambdas and omegas. I forgot my 717 and a new 007t II. The stage, air, reality, bass, dynamics and more I receive now, let me easily forget other Stax amps. Not only with the reference SR-Omega (temporary in my stuff),  but also with the 007 Mk1 at this combo I hear now to the new unknown world.

hehe, Peter's build? How much did that set you back, if you don't me asking? (4-600 EUR?). Basic idea from http://www.audiodesignguide.com/my/stax_transf.html (I think spritzer previously mentioned that one), but obviously with the adjustable bias and input switches?

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #15,685 of 24,807
Yupp, you´re right, svyr. It is Peter´s new box thanks Ciuffoli old project, but with another supply solution and options.

m, some sort of linear PSU with a toroidal by the looks of it? (what sort :D?) I presume the PSU is for the bias/leds, since the rest look passive(input->L+L- and R+R- via the Lundahls )?
Looks very nice. Haven't seen previous Peter's builds use leds to indicate selected input.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #15,688 of 24,807
Do most of you guys cover your stax, or do you just leave them sitting out?

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #15,689 of 24,807
Padam, what a difficult question. And not so much. On second terminals sits SRD-7 Mk2, so I can quickly change. I hear a real difference, my friend does the same. It would be hmmm.. to describe as more clarity, lucidity - especially in low mids; more strong bass and more precise more fast; 007 Mk1 plays without veil, with full dynamics... And Lundahls need another 50 houers to be much more better. But just now, it is a fable.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #15,690 of 24,807

Quote:

That's nice and all but the real question is can it beat the KGSS or BHSE?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back