The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 28, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #15,646 of 24,807

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I actually already sold the 2050 set, so there will be no direct comparison in the future. I have a Pioneer SX-950 on the way in, so I am thinking about buying a WEE for the amp. If there is a better alternative in the $500 dollar range I am all ears. I figured eventually I would buy a WES, BH, etc, along with the 009, or whatever the top of the line is at the time. For now I am in school, and can't spend that kind of money. If I sold the LCD-2, HE-6, and Lyr, I am looking at maybe $2200-2400 I would guess. So it definitely has to total under that, and I am not sure I want to sell it all either.

The Realiser is absolutely amazing, and I think everyone should try it, but that's a different story. I know that the higher you go up the Stax line, the better things get, but is it accuracy, or sound that gets better. Even typing the question it feels convoluted. I hope someone can understand what I am asking. Maybe the Omegas are more musical, but are they also less precise, and once again I am not asking if its frequency response graph properly reproduce sounds naturally, but does each frequency get hit quickly, properly and with authority. I guess to put it into a bad hypothetical. If all the Stax had a slat frequency response, so that every pair played them at the identical volume, which one would be best.

Well I have confused myself quite a bit with all the questions. I didn't want to make it seem earlier that I have to have lots of bass, but I don't want it to be absent, just that the headphones can produce it provided they are amped well and EQ'ed properly. I am leaning toward the 507 and WEE for now, but that is  not set in stone. I know what the lambdas feel like, and I have no idea where to try out a set of Omegas in New Orleans. Also Since I may buy the 009 in the future, maybe it would be nice to have the best omegas and lambdas. That may also be pointless. 

Thanks for all the help so far, and look forward to hearing some new thoughts. 

I think a 323S would be a better choice than the WEE, more linear sound with lower distortion. It is a question of taste whether one finds the Omega or the 507 more 'accurate', basically every headphone have a certain character of its own and it is also dependent on what the listener is used to. But it is no doubt that when properly driven the Omegas are much weightier than the Lambdas.

May 28, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #15,647 of 24,807
I contacted a person on head-fi about buying a SRM-1/Mk-2. Should that be able to power the 507 well?

May 28, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #15,649 of 24,807

Quote:
I contacted a person on head-fi about buying a SRM-1/Mk-2. Should that be able to power the 507 well?

Consider a SRM-T1 as well. On normal bias lambda's it beats my SRM-1/Mk2 (p.p.) by a fair margin.
Same comment as on the SRM-1/Mk2: replace old caps.
Extra bonus: SRM-T1 can be converted to take ECC99 tubes (like SRM-600 Limited). Should be even more beatiful...

May 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #15,650 of 24,807
Consider a SRM-T1 as well. On normal bias lambda's it beats my SRM-1/Mk2 (p.p.) by a fair margin.
Same comment as on the SRM-1/Mk2: replace old caps.
Extra bonus: SRM-T1 can be converted to take ECC99 tubes (like SRM-600 Limited). Should be even more beatiful...

for pro-bias, couldn't tell much of a difference between 600 ltd and smr-1/mk2 on sr-507 :wink: in the melb meet ... Plus SRM-1/mk2 can be converted to balanced inputs (see spritzer :D )

May 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #15,651 of 24,807

Quote:
Plus SRM-1/mk2 can be converted to balanced inputs (see spritzer
biggrin.gif
)

SRM-T1 can also be converted to balanced inputs. The circuit board layout is prepared for it.

May 28, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #15,652 of 24,807

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I actually already sold the 2050 set, so there will be no direct comparison in the future. I have a Pioneer SX-950 on the way in, so I am thinking about buying a WEE for the amp. If there is a better alternative in the $500 dollar range I am all ears. I figured eventually I would buy a WES, BH, etc, along with the 009, or whatever the top of the line is at the time. For now I am in school, and can't spend that kind of money. If I sold the LCD-2, HE-6, and Lyr, I am looking at maybe $2200-2400 I would guess. So it definitely has to total under that, and I am not sure I want to sell it all either.

The Realiser is absolutely amazing, and I think everyone should try it, but that's a different story. I know that the higher you go up the Stax line, the better things get, but is it accuracy, or sound that gets better. Even typing the question it feels convoluted. I hope someone can understand what I am asking. Maybe the Omegas are more musical, but are they also less precise, and once again I am not asking if its frequency response graph properly reproduce sounds naturally, but does each frequency get hit quickly, properly and with authority. I guess to put it into a bad hypothetical. If all the Stax had a slat frequency response, so that every pair played them at the identical volume, which one would be best.

Well I have confused myself quite a bit with all the questions. I didn't want to make it seem earlier that I have to have lots of bass, but I don't want it to be absent, just that the headphones can produce it provided they are amped well and EQ'ed properly. I am leaning toward the 507 and WEE for now, but that is  not set in stone. I know what the lambdas feel like, and I have no idea where to try out a set of Omegas in New Orleans. Also Since I may buy the 009 in the future, maybe it would be nice to have the best omegas and lambdas. That may also be pointless. 

Thanks for all the help so far, and look forward to hearing some new thoughts. 

I have a pair of 507's.   I had a WEE.   Now I have a 323S.   I'm MUCH happier with my 323S.

May 28, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #15,654 of 24,807
Spritzer is selling a SRM-T1, and I think I am going to buy that one. It seems to be in great shape, and he can set it up with the ECC99. How do you tell if the headphones are Pro or normal bias. I am sure it is a simple determination, but I don't know what it is.

May 28, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #15,656 of 24,807
that's is easy enough, thanks.

I asked Spritzer, but I think I will ask everyone here as well. What does the SRM-T1, with the ECC99 compare closest too in the current lineup. There is very little information about the amp, and I would like to know some more about what I am buying.

May 29, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #15,658 of 24,807
the MK2 runs pretty hot, make sure you only use it in an air-conditioned environment during the summer.

hmm, well I used it on 30-38 degree days without aircon...
Also, you can potentially buy a used Mk2 for about $300 cheaper than T1 :wink:

hm, nice the T1 ad says spritzer can convert it to EC tubes... Probably not free though :D

May 29, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #15,659 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:
the MK2 runs pretty hot, make sure you only use it in an air-conditioned environment during the summer.

hmm, well I used it on 30-38 degree days without aircon...
biggrin.gif

the main concern is if the internal temp gets too high it will greatly reduce electrolytic's life expectancy. It is not an immediate failure.

May 29, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #15,660 of 24,807
the main concern is if the internal temp gets too high it will greatly reduce electrolytic's life expectancy. It is not an immediate failure.

105 *C caps inside for all of them, unless you replace with lower grade ones... I suppose the difference is whatever the manufacturer rates the caps for 50 vs 70 *C
Is cap life quoted a straight figure? (i.e. say 2000h without pause at 105 *C) or some sort of dodgy weighted average, where the real life at 105 *C is something like 200h, and progressively gets more as the temperature is lowered?
Or is it 2000h at 105 *C then a set of multipliers for lower temps?
Also, 10-20 hours/year at higher temp, would it make that much of a difference since the quoted expected lives are for conts use for the rated time (no storage, or lower temp cycles?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back