The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #15,361 of 24,807
Quote:
I wrote some early impressions in this thread here. I haven't changed my mind on them - in summary - the sound of the 507 is a faster, more vibrant and seemingly more detailed one. It also, to my ear, has greater impact. Putting leather pads on a 303 doesn't make them a 507, but it moves them in that direction - places them in that "family" of sound. Presumably the lacking 10% my leathered 303 miss from the 507 would be furnished by the move from 303 to 307. I hope so anyway as the 507 remain my favourite phones listened to so far.

I was comparing the leathers in that post to the old style pads with inbuilt foam screens. As DonQ was desperate for these and I was sticking with the leathers, I swapped them with him for his newer style pleathers with lower profile and cloth screen - these sound worse still than the old foam pleathers IMO.

As karma would have it, I was given a pair of old style foam screen pads a few weeks later as a gift - so have that option to return to as well should I want.

Thanks for the link, Eddie. You mentioned, "The sound stage, while still very natural and large is diminished with the leather pads. I wonder if this could be fixed by adding a distancer between the baffle and pad..." Did you have any luck with that yet? And where did you buy the pads? I am ok with the stock 303 ones, but if the price is right.. why not? :D

PS. Just got a Yaqin CD3 tube buffer delivered today and will be integrating it into the 3030 setup
floatsmile.png

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #15,362 of 24,807
I got them from Bluetin.com (Looks like they've gone up in price since then, as I expect will be the case with all things from Japan for now).

No I haven't got around to looking at the idea of a distancer yet, I'd actually forgotten all about it! They are stuck down now so I don't know if I'd get around to it as it stands.

I'm fully used to that sound now and as I said in the post the difference in soundstage is pretty minimal - they still have plenty.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #15,363 of 24,807
Ahh, well that is good to know it is minimal. Well rats, I wonder what they charge to ship to the US. Seems like it would turn a decent deal into something less. I need one of those stands too.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #15,364 of 24,807
From what I remember it was pretty reasonable for the pads alone - after all its only a very small light box. I would probably aim to get a stand domestically as it would be more expensive to ship.

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #15,366 of 24,807
Quote:
I got them from Bluetin.com (Looks like they've gone up in price since then, as I expect will be the case with all things from Japan for now).

No I haven't got around to looking at the idea of a distancer yet, I'd actually forgotten all about it! They are stuck down now so I don't know if I'd get around to it as it stands.

I'm fully used to that sound now and as I said in the post the difference in soundstage is pretty minimal - they still have plenty.

Hey so I re-read the product description and noticed it mentioned the 404LE. Is it saying they are compatible with the 404LE frame or that they (507s) are the same pads as the 404LE to begin with?

Apr 11, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #15,370 of 24,807
Quote:

Hey so I re-read the product description and noticed it mentioned the 404LE. Is it saying they are compatible with the 404LE frame or that they (507s) are the same pads as the 404LE to begin with?

99% sure they are the same pads. Mainly because Stax isn't the type of company to create new pads when they likely had stocks of the old, also for the fact that when I first bookmarked the ad when I was thinking about getting them it said 404LE leather pads and were described as EP234, by the time I came to order them the page had changed to what it says now. The box they arrived in said EP-507 on it.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #15,371 of 24,807

Quote:
As a general conclusion, I think it's a good idea for the various Stax Lambda series users to try the different kinds of pads as they might discover this way an easy solution to subjectively upgrade their headphones. I also find the edstrelow's idea of removing the back foam interesting, but I must confess I didn't have the guts to try it as I've already had enough problems with my 303s. Unfortunately, I don't like to use leather, meat etc., so I'll not try the leather pads myself (my K1000's headband and pads are an exception as the phones were bought used when they were already out of production). But that's just me and a very different topic that has no place in this thread, I'm just too talkative now.
biggrin.gif

Thank you for sharing that. I, too, have issues with meat/leather/animal flesh and sometimes feel like the odd man out. Like you, I would not normally raise this subject in a headphone context. It was nice to discover a kindred spirit in this regard. 
k701smile.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #15,375 of 24,807

Quote:

Not higher tech in my book as the drivers are pretty much the same as we've seen since 1994.  The holder is new and it is an improvement but nothing revolutionary.  Many of us have been talking about doing the same thing for years...

Ty for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back