The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #15,241 of 24,807
I've actually tried the O2s out of my SRM-1/Mk 2 PP and although i did like my SR-507s more than the O2s, they definitely sounded better to my ears than my HE-6s i had then. But it might be that i've yet to experience the really high end rigs to know what i'm talking about.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #15,245 of 24,807

Quote:
I've actually tried the O2s out of my SRM-1/Mk 2 PP and although i did like my SR-507s more than the O2s, they definitely sounded better to my ears than my HE-6s i had then. But it might be that i've yet to experience the really high end rigs to know what i'm talking about.

Oh... they sounded good out of the 007t II I had... they just didn't sound as good as my dynamic phones, since they had the "flabby bass" and rolled off, and clipped highs. 

And... most importantly, with that sound, they were way, way overpriced.  And even moreso, when you consider the $5,000 price you must pay for the amps to achieve their optimum sound, even though it gets rid of the "flabby bass" and rolled off, and clipped highs.

And... you might say the same of the HE-6's - though it's not quite as extreme.  You have to invest quite a lot in those phones as well to achieve their optimum sound, with just the right speaker amp - though, not as much as with the 02's.  

I'm much happier with sound that comes from much less expensive dynamics, and the 507's, that sound very nearly as good, or perhaps better with the right setups.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #15,246 of 24,807

Quote:
He only picks and chooses what he wants to read.  If he did his research (this issue has probably been brought up some 50-100 times in this thread alone) he'd note that the tube Stax amps are generally not recommended for the O2s.  Neither are the weak solid state Stax amps or the exstata.  The 717 is a nice amp for the O2s, as are the modded 727, KGSS, and BHSE.  This has been established for years now.  Even though the BHSE is the best amp there is to drive the O2s, that doesn't make those other 3 amps crappy.  People like him are the reason others are under the impression you need $10,000 to have an 'adequate' O2 system as they insist on giving false information and speak louder than those of us know know what we're actually talking about on the issue.

Ah yes... "a true junkie"... who either is incapable of reading, or understanding what he reads (no doubt one of our 70% poorly educated graduates of our failing education systems).  Read my comments again, more closely, perhaps you'll "get it" this time. 

I said nothing about the O2's sounding poor with the BHSE or WES, quite the contrary.  As for the KGSS, read the link I provided - perhaps then you'll "get it."

And... even if you disagree with the posts that report the O2 does not perform it's best (or even competitive with great dynamic setups) with the KGSS, or 717, or 727 - I've seen nothing credible to refute the posters comment about the KGSS with the O2's.  Moreover, an uninformed person should by no means rush out and buy any O2, thinking that he'll "luck onto" a 717, or that he'll modify a 727 (if he can find one at a good price), or achieve their optimum sound with anything less than a BHSE, or perhaps the WES, only to find they must invest a lot more of their hard-earned money to do so. 

The point "my dear friend" is the ridiculous cost of the O2 set up in order to achieve the optimum sound of the O2's... compared to the great sound (perhaps better) you can achieve with dynamic set ups, and others, with much, much smaller investments.

Read, understand, and then respond rationally, not emotionally - you'll be taken far more seriously, if you do. 

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #15,247 of 24,807
A top tier electrostatic amp should have a gain of about 1k, a swing of about of about 1kV, a current of at least 15mA in the finals, a range of at least 20Hz-30kHz, and THD  distortion under 1%. 

You can buy a top tier amp for  $5k, or you can build something  not exactly the same but with ballpark specs for about $750.  It's definitely possible to put together a very competitive "poor man's" electrostatic system for about $2.5k. 

Mar 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #15,248 of 24,807
Quote:
I said nothing about the O2's sounding poor with the BHSE or WES, quite the contrary. 

You have never heard the BHSE, WES, KGSS, 717 or 727.

Since you give advice telling others to read "more closely", here is an article that you need to read: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/270280/stop-recommending-gear-you-ve-never-heard-rant-warning

Quote:
As for the KGSS, read the link I provided - perhaps then you'll "get it."

And... even if you disagree with the posts that report the O2 does not perform it's best (or even competitive with great dynamic setups) with the KGSS, or 717, or 727 - I've seen nothing credible to refute the posters comment about the KGSS with the O2's.

The "link" that you provided is only one member's personal experience and opinion. If you search, you will find posts from other owners who's opinions differ regarding the above mentioned amps including contrary opinions of the BHSE and other amps you claim will only then justify the O2 which is now at "ridiculous cost" at this point. If one persons opinion regarding the KGSS is credible enough for you to become some sort of representative of the "uninformed person", how will your stance change when you read an opposite view regarding the same amp? The fact is you need to stop taking any "stance" whatsoever and understand that you are "uninformed" and even state that by saying that you have never heard the above equipment yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The point "my dear friend" is the ridiculous cost of the O2 set up in order to achieve the optimum sound of the O2's... compared to the great sound (perhaps better) you can achieve with dynamic set ups, and others, with much, much smaller investments. 

"Ridiculous cost" is relative from person to person. Worry about hearing the amps for yourself and deciding whether or not it is a justifiable expense for you. What is not relative is the ridiculous representation and erroneous information you are giving to the "uninformed person".

Quote:
Read, understand, and then respond rationally, not emotionally - you'll be taken far more seriously, if you do. 

Definitely words to live by, please follow them.

Mar 23, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #15,250 of 24,807
Quote:
And... even if you disagree with the posts that report the O2 does not perform it's best (or even competitive with great dynamic setups) with the KGSS, or 717, or 727 - I've seen nothing credible to refute the posters comment about the KGSS with the O2's. 

The poster's comment with the KGSS was with the O2mk2, and well, I doubt even the DIY T2 can completely control it's bass (I could be wrong, they are legendary after all =P).
They kind of have a.....I would narrowly not call it a 'flaw', in which the mk2 won't properly seal with your head unless you do some simple modifications.
Try breaking the seal with your 507's by lifting them off your head slightly, you'll notice the bass gets all boomy, that's pretty much what the mk2 is like all the time.
I think that's credible enough to 'refute' that posters comment, but it would be ridiculously wrong to do so, because that's just a members honest experience.

When someone listens to the O2's from an amp like the BHSE at a meet, they would most likely be listening to the mk1.
So when someone decides to buy the O2's new, they get the mk2 version with a 'normal' starter stat amp and they might suddenly come to the conclusion that the bass is out of control/flabby because they aren't using one of the top amps. This could possibly explain where all this confusion came from. I think the new O2mk2 owners are simply forgetting that they aren't quite the same as the mk1.

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #15,251 of 24,807

Quote:
And... I think it should be made much more clear to all who may contemplate investing in the 007 MKI / MKII's - that unless they plan to invest $5,000 in an amp to drive them properly, they will likley experience uncontrolled bass and rolled off and/or clipped highs even with the 717 or KGSS. 

Quote:

Well... I have no way of knowing about the 02's when driven with the BHSE or WES... and I'm relying on the reports of others when their driven by the 717 and KGSS - that they have uncontrolled bass and rolled off / clipped highs.  But, that was certainly my experience with the 007t II and the 007 MKII. 

Do you not see the problems with these two statements? First you say that "uncontrolled bass and rolled off and/or clipped highs even with the 717 or KGSS" with the MK1 and MK2 Omega 2 is some kind of established fact. Have you heard the MK1 at all, or the MK2 with either of the mentioned amps? Nope. Other or "others" have. Well allow me to provide the other side of the argument. My own personal MK1 with both the 717 and the KGSS sounds superb. Denon style uncontrolled bass is nowhere to be found. The highs are not spiked as on some of the more unpleasant dynamics, they are just about perfect.

The idea that you MUST buy a BHSE to get the O2 to not sound like garbage is wrong. The very best is expensive :shock:. What's an Apex Pinnacle cost? There are viable other choices though. More of them would be nice, as I've said many times I think the market is wide open for $3K or 3.5K amps for the O2, but they are there.

Mar 23, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #15,253 of 24,807

Quote:

Ah yes... "a true junkie"... who either is incapable of reading, or understanding what he reads (no doubt one of our 70% poorly educated graduates of our failing education systems).  Read my comments again, more closely, perhaps you'll "get it" this time. 

I said nothing about the O2's sounding poor with the BHSE or WES, quite the contrary.  As for the KGSS, read the link I provided - perhaps then you'll "get it."

And... even if you disagree with the posts that report the O2 does not perform it's best (or even competitive with great dynamic setups) with the KGSS, or 717, or 727 - I've seen nothing credible to refute the posters comment about the KGSS with the O2's.  Moreover, an uninformed person should by no means rush out and buy any O2, thinking that he'll "luck onto" a 717, or that he'll modify a 727 (if he can find one at a good price), or achieve their optimum sound with anything less than a BHSE, or perhaps the WES, only to find they must invest a lot more of their hard-earned money to do so. 

You are obvioulsly entitled to your own preferences.However you are being told by several people that your comparisons may not be apt.

I got into my 007A and 717 set-up for $3K a few years ago.  Cost-wise this is comparable to the balanced Senn HD800 set-up I heard a few years back at Canjam.  Used 007's are dropping in price and will drop even more when the 009 hits the street.  Unfortunately the 717 is not coming down and is still about the $1200 I paid new from Japan.

Certainly your comprehension of this thread suggests you are in the 70% category yourself.

Actually I don't buy the "failing education systems" argument.   Certainly there are bad schools but also bad students.  Some years ago, my wife had to teach kids whose career aspirations were to deal drugs on the street like the rest of their relatives.    We educate more students to a higher academic standard than back in my day, when large numbers of students were sent on to shop courses rather than academic courses, or the ones like the drug dealing kids, were just tossed out.     I don't  argue with that old practice since I doubt that more than about 50% of students are able to really deal with higher education. 

Mar 23, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #15,254 of 24,807
Gradofan2 if I were you, I would already be worried about the Stax Mafia!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #15,255 of 24,807

Quote:

You've got some of the most unfocused, difficult to follow posts in this entire thread and you're insulting my intelligence.  Cool.  I'm hoping now that a number of people have ripped your illogical conclusions and statements about things you have zero experience with into shreds you'll see that I'm not alone in saying your post was full of crap.  I'm glad you sold your O2 so we're less likely to see you pollute this thread anymore.  My biggest concern is that a newbie googles "O2 KGSS" and only reads the garbage you posted earlier, thus missing out on a killer system.  Enjoy your HD580s.  Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back