The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #15,227 of 24,807

Quote:
Do you mean sitting in front of a pair of speakers with your headphone on, and output your music simultaneously to the speaker and headphone? What an interesting idea! I never tried that, but am intrigued! 

Try it. My vintage Marantz has a main and remote set of channels so I tried it. I am very impressed. 

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #15,228 of 24,807

Quote:
Thank you, John. Do you know which version that is? Monitor or Signature?

That's the ED-1 for the Lambda Pro. I suspect ( but don't really know) that the ED-1 and the Signature DFE's were the same internally, but tweaked differently to get the same target response at the end. The SRM-Monitor contains the ED-1. 

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #15,229 of 24,807
As far as I know there is no difference or only a slight one because:

Audiostax the former stax trader for Germany initiated a Stax CD line with dummy head recordings. (KU81i and KU100 were used)

The really wrote everything about recording the theory of dummy head .... into their booklets.

They used SRM-Monitor amps (with equalization) and Lambdas AND Signatures for the recordings.

In their brochure they write someting about ED-1 Signature which also leads into this direction: The ED-1 Signature is slightly larger to fit the SRM-T1 amp OPTICALLY!

Regards Georg

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #15,230 of 24,807

The different casing with the same internals wouldn't surprise me - I suspect someone at the Stax Factory adjusted the internal equalisation to match the headphone it was partnered with. 
The Audiostax "Space Sound" CD has very real 3D sound. A huge booklet, as you say, with lots of references,photos and articles - they used a Fatboy 2cd case just so the booklet could fit!
Quote:
As far as I know there is no difference or only a slight one because:

Audiostax the former stax trader for Germany initiated a Stax CD line with dummy head recordings. (KU81i and KU100 were used)

The really wrote everything about recording the theory of dummy head .... into their booklets.

They used SRM-Monitor amps (with equalization) and Lambdas AND Signatures for the recordings.

In their brochure they write someting about ED-1 Signature which also leads into this direction: The ED-1 Signature is slightly larger to fit the SRM-T1 amp OPTICALLY!

Regards Georg

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #15,231 of 24,807

Quote:
Hi all, sorry for a dummy question: Can I connect the input of a STAX amp with the output of a pre-amp for speaker? Will that damage the unit? I saw a lot of ad saying their headphone amp can be used as a pre-amp, so I think the answer to my question would be NO. But I'd like to confirm it in here. Thank you guys.

I'm not sure it's the same thing... but... I connect the input on my amps to the output on my "line stage," which I think provides the same voltage / current as a pre-amp (perhaps a bit less), so that the POT of the line stage can adjust the volume as well as the POT on the amp, effectively increasing the total output level.  I did this to drive the 007 MKII's with the 007t II at acceptable volume, because the amp itself was a bit weak with the 007 MKII's... and... to provide a more "tubey" sound, since the "line stage" is a tube hybrid unit. 

If you can do that with your pre-amp, you would want to be sure your speaker amp was not connected to it in a manner that would flow it's power through to your phones.  I don't think you can do that, but just in case...

Why... did you want to do that anyway???  The Lambda's shouldn't need the added power, though the 007's do.

Though... likely the same reason I did - for more tubey sound... or... some have synched up their speaker / sub-woofer with their K-1000's to provide more realistic bass, and soundstage - likely via their pre-amps.

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #15,232 of 24,807
Well... "just when I thought I was out... they pulled me back in..." to the Stax club, for one more try at it.  This time with my 507's, which I still haven't sold yet, and Pabro's 323S. 

So... we'll see how this combo "stax up" against my great dynamic set ups - which are exceptional (all very well matched).  I expect it to be better than the 007 MKII / 007t II I had... but... I don't expect it to be much better than my dynamics - at least they weren't the first time. 

We'll see... 

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #15,233 of 24,807
And... I think it should be made much more clear to all who may contemplate investing in the 007 MKI / MKII's - that unless they plan to invest $5,000 in an amp to drive them properly, they will likley experience uncontrolled bass and rolled off and/or clipped highs even with the 717 or KGSS. 

No one should be exposed to the risk of loss on their investment, simply because they are unaware of the unusually great demands of the 007 MKI / MKII's.  I got out unscathed... but... many won't.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/531743/new-listening-impressions-of-stax-c32-prototype/420#post_7356879

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #15,234 of 24,807
Quote:
And... I think it should be made much more clear to all who may contemplate investing in the 007 MKI / MKII's - that unless they plan to invest $5,000 in an amp to drive them properly, they will likley experience uncontrolled bass and rolled off and/or clipped highs even with the 717 or KGSS

No one should be exposed to the risk of loss on their investment, simply because they are unaware of the unusually great demands of the 007 MKI / MKII's.  I got out unscathed... but... many won't.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/531743/new-listening-impressions-of-stax-c32-prototype/420#post_7356879

I think comparing dynamics to electrostatics is like comparing fast sports cars to high torque trucks. You may like the dynamics more, but they won't match the elegance and speed.

I plan to hear my 02s out of a KGSS soon. I'll see how uncontrolled the bass and clipped the highs are. I doubt it's a dramatic difference from the BH, but we'll see. I don't think I'd go back to a full blown dynamic rig or get a Lambda either way. Lambda's are supposed to be bright no? All I want is the best midrange and the O2s through the BH had the best mid range I've ever heard. Highs were definitely better than the LCD 2s so I doubt a KGSS is going to make the highs on the O2 even worse than the LCD2s.

Mar 23, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #15,235 of 24,807
Please keep us updated on your shoot out.  I am interested in Stax but have not had a chance to try any yet.  Your impression comparing to some dynamic phone would be very interesting to me.

Quote:
Well... "just when I thought I was out... they pulled me back in..." to the Stax club, for one more try at it.  This time with my 507's, which I still haven't sold yet, and Pabro's 323S. 

So... we'll see how this combo "stax up" against my great dynamic set ups - which are exceptional (all very well matched).  I expect it to be better than the 007 MKII / 007t II I had... but... I don't expect it to be much better than my dynamics - at least they weren't the first time. 

We'll see... 

Mar 23, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #15,236 of 24,807

Quote:
I think comparing dynamics to electrostatics is like comparing fast sports cars to high torque trucks. You may like the dynamics more, but they won't match the elegance and speed.

I plan to hear my 02s out of a KGSS soon. I'll see how uncontrolled the bass and clipped the highs are. I doubt it's a dramatic difference from the BH, but we'll see. I don't think I'd go back to a full blown dynamic rig or get a Lambda either way. Lambda's are supposed to be bright no? All I want is the best midrange and the O2s through the BH had the best mid range I've ever heard. Highs were definitely better than the LCD 2s so I doubt a KGSS is going to make the highs on the O2 even worse than the LCD2s.

Well... I have no way of knowing about the 02's when driven with the BHSE or WES... and I'm relying on the reports of others when their driven by the 717 and KGSS - that they have uncontrolled bass and rolled off / clipped highs.  But, that was certainly my experience with the 007t II and the 007 MKII. 

And... the 507's are not especially bright.

And... I can assure you my dynamic set ups sound just as fast, clear, detailed and spacious as either the 007 MKII's I had, or the 507's.  It's all about matching the phones to the proper source and amp.  It just so happens that the Stax when driven by the 007t II are simply no better, and in fact not as good as my dynamic set ups, and are really not as good in most respects.  A more apt analogy may be running a Testarossa (007) on 87 octane gas (007t II) vs 103 octane gas (BHSE).  I suspect the Testarossa's (007's) do sound very good, perhaps even better than my dynamic setups, when run on 103 octane gas (BHSE).  But... won't run at all on anything less. 

Mar 23, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #15,237 of 24,807
Quote:

Well... I have no way of knowing about the 02's when driven with the BHSE or WES... and I'm relying on the reports of others when their driven by the 717 and KGSS - that they have uncontrolled bass and rolled off / clipped highs.  But, that was certainly my experience with the 007t II and the 007 MKII. 

And... the 507's are not especially bright.

And... I can assure you my dynamic set ups sound just as fast, clear, detailed and spacious as either the 007 MKII's I had, or the 507's.  It's all about matching the phones to the proper source and amp.  It just so happens that the Stax when driven by the 007t II are simply no better, and in fact not as good as my dynamic set ups, and are really not as good in most respects.  A more apt analogy may be running a Testarossa (007) on 87 octane gas (007t II) vs 103 octane gas (BHSE).  I suspect the 007's do sound very good, perhaps even better than my dynamic setups, when run on 103 octane gas.  But... won't run at all on anything less. 

I just remembered you had the MK2s. I wonder how different the difference between the MK1 and MK2 would be.

Mar 23, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #15,238 of 24,807

Quote:

Well... I have no way of knowing about the 02's when driven with the BHSE or WES... and I'm relying on the reports of others when their driven by the 717 and KGSS - that they have uncontrolled bass and rolled off / clipped highs. 

facepalm.jpg

Mar 23, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #15,240 of 24,807
He only picks and chooses what he wants to read.  If he did his research (this issue has probably been brought up some 50-100 times in this thread alone) he'd note that the tube Stax amps are generally not recommended for the O2s.  Neither are the weak solid state Stax amps or the exstata.  The 717 is a nice amp for the O2s, as are the modded 727, KGSS, and BHSE.  This has been established for years now.  Even though the BHSE is the best amp there is to drive the O2s, that doesn't make those other 3 amps crappy.  People like him are the reason others are under the impression you need $10,000 to have an 'adequate' O2 system as they insist on giving false information and speak louder than those of us know know what we're actually talking about on the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back